Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Bitcoin is an electronic currency used for lawbreaking and speculation.

It is "mined" using nothing but pluck and enormous amounts of energy.

I recommend getting high and watching it fluctuate here.

Post news, fanart, delusional screeds, historical analogies, w/e floats ur bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
still the funniest thing yet

https://twitter.com/JakeNonnemaker/status/957037967847120897

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Old but still good

https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/639287717705089024?s=17

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

thhe strawberries are old news i want the bitcoin-dehydrated brain meats

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

quote:

Hi, I’m the person who posted that message. I originally posted it on 4chan’s technology board (/g/), though apparently someone took a screenshot and it’s been reposted quite a lot on other sites. I don’t feel like doing an interview, but here are some more details in case you’re wondering: I started Bitcoin mining quite a while ago. I already had a decent build with 2 5850s in crossfire that I used for gaming. After mining for a while, I earned enough money to buy more mining hardware from Newegg and Amazon. In the end, I had a total of 4 PCs with 2 5850s in each of them, except for 1 of them, which had 3 5850s. I won’t bother listing all the specs, since they’re nothing special aside from the 5850s. I overclocked the core clocks of the 5850s to squeeze a little more performance out of them, and underclocked the video ram in order to reduce heat. I had them running at 100% fan speed to try and cool them off a little better, but they still got pretty hot anyway. I’m a freshman in college and unfortunately still live with my parents (living in a dorm is too expensive), so I don’t really have any other place to put my PCs except in my own room. So I kept all 4 machines in my bedroom, which is not very big. So they were pretty close to my bed.My parents’ house doesn’t have central heating/AC, but instead we have window AC units that we install in the summer, and space heaters for the winter.

However, I procrastinated and didn’t install the AC unit in my room because it wasn’t too hot yet. They are big, bulky, and heavy, so I didn’t want to do it until I absolutely had to. But, being the summer, it did eventually get hotter. Faster than I had anticipated.One day, when I was sleeping (yes, I sometimes sleep in the day due to being up very late at night/early in the morning), it got very hot. And I still didn’t have the AC unit installed in my room, and my 4 mining rigs were still mining bitcoins (I left them on 24/7), generating lots of heat. It was extremely hot. I eventually woke up due to the heat, but it was already too late. I had a terrible heat stroke, and it was quite frightening and disorienting. I not only felt physically terrible, having trouble breathing and terrible nausea, but I was also mentally and emotionally confused and saw all sorts of unpleasant hallucinations (but after doing some googling, apparently that’s normal for people who have heat strokes).

I eventually staggered out of my room, which took quite a lot of effort, and my parents saw that I wasn’t doing too well and then realized I needed medical attention. They rushed me to the ER, and at this point I was barely conscious so I don’t remember everything, but they put bags of ice on me and made me drink tons of liquids. I have no idea how long it lasted, because every second felt like an hour. It was terrible. After I was in a stable condition, they did some general check-up stuff to make sure that I didn’t have any organ damage or something, and I told them that my head felt awful, so they did either a CT scan or MRI scan (I forget which is which, but it was some scan or another of my head), and said I basically had minor brain damage (they used a fancier term for it, but I forgot exactly what it was… but it was basically just minor permanent brain damage). I don’t notice much of a difference in my ability to think… it’s not as if I’m mentally retarded or anything now, but even so, no brain damage is good.

I eventually went back home and rested up for a while. My parents installed the AC unit in my room before I went back in. I just slept and drank lots of water for a couple days. I had mostly recovered from the heat stroke, but my body was still dehydrated, so I needed to rest and drink more fluids. And during this time, I turned off all of my PCs. Only the AC was running in my room.I am aware that this was all my fault and that it could have prevented it, but it’s too late to change anything now. And after all this, I am no longer going to do any bitcoin mining. I will probably sell my mining rigs, or maybe find some other purpose for them. But they definitely won’t be on at full load 24/7 like I used to have them, even though I have a good AC unit in my room.And despite this whole situation being rather lovely, I still feel pretty drat lucky. Heat strokes can be fatal if they aren’t treated quickly enough. But fortunately for me, I was able to get treated in time. A little brain damage is still better than death, after all. It still sucks, but it also could’ve been worse.In conclusion, if you are mining bitcoins, or plan on mining bitcoins, make sure that your hardware doesn’t get too hot, and if you’re like me and have your hardware in your bedroom, definitely make sure you have AC! Don’t repeat the same mistakes I made. Even if it only feels a little more warm than usual, you never know if the weather will get worse.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Hi I'm perma brain damaged bitcoin miner twin 58(50s)

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Ill Peripheral posted:

Hi I'm perma brain damaged bitcoin miner twin 58(50s)

Those black lung coal miners got nothin' on the risks and hardships of the bitcoin miners.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3oiThw2RxE

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

don't sign ur posts :buddy: :hf: :yayclod:

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Delete every crypto video from Youtube except this one.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Well, maybe keep this too as a reference point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHi_GHMo28M

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
The Bitcoin Rap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBfeLdjNVKY

Stergin's song about Bitcoins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLE62zyxlPM

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Once upon a time there was a goon who sold fake gems or some crap for bitcoins in the early bitcoin threads.

then bitcoin shot up in value, and he probably cashed out when he still could, and is now probably just chilling in his palace on the moon. with a large moon harem.

the end

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hallowed Day - On October 6, 2014, one of the grandest and most brutal struggles ever to grace the tapestry of international crypto-finance occurred. The day before, after several weeks of sinking prices had capitulated in a bear assault, the enemy's most formidable foe emerged. It was a beast rumored to exist, but never seen in its natural, grotesque form. The BearWhale, a mighty creature with a 30,000 BTC ask wall (roughly $10 million), stormed out onto the battlefield. Bulls small and large were crushed under its immense weight. The very Spirit of Bitcoin could be felt buckling beneath the pressure of this immense market soul-crusher. But Bitcoin was not broken that day. A grueling struggle ensued, and over the course of several hours, the entire BearWhale ask wall was demolished, satoshi by satoshi. The vigilant light of a future without fiat inspired the bull soldiers to conquer this foe, or die trying. By the early morning, Eastern Standard Time, the BearWhale had been defeated; his ask wall consumed. In its wake, the bodies of fallen comrades littered the landscape, speculation on the source and purpose of BearWhale consumed the narrative, and exchange owners around the world went out for champagne after collecting 0.2% of the bloodshed. To commemorate this exalted day, ShapeShift.io commissioned two leading community artists to render their impression of The Slaying of BearWhale. Please take a moment of contemplative silence, and enjoy the artwork. Hang it on your walls (or desktops). Tell your children, and grandchildren. And never forget the sacrifice so many made on Oct. 6, 2014. The journey to the moon continues.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wait, so some guy wanted to cash out and they make a big deal out of the fact that they bought this guys coins, and that he lost even though he walked away with 10 million dollars

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Wait, so some guy wanted to cash out and they make a big deal out of the fact that they bought this guys coins, and that he lost even though he walked away with 10 million dollars

yeah lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

You have to love how loving stupid libertarian are

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

KomradeX posted:

You have to love how loving stupid libertarian are

Ancap goes to greece.txt

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
she’s a bitcoin girl living in a bitcoin world

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
"I imagine that someday I may have a story written about my life and it would be good to have a detailed account of it."

Pound_Coin posted:

Ancap goes to greece.txt

*gets kicked in the head by real anarchists*
YOU'RE VIOLATING NAP!
*gets kicked in the head again*

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
is there any sexy bitcoin fanart?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
im a bitcoinxdollar shipper

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

I don’t know what is worse: the obviously incorrectly “dehydrated” strawberries or the fact that they’re been put in packaging obviously intended for miniatures/other hobby stuff

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

"filtered heat"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Squizzle posted:

"filtered heat"

"They're not covered in dust and filth the fans sucked up from my barely-ventilated basement, honest"

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Lamebot posted:

is there any sexy bitcoin fanart?
i dunno

it depends

what you're into

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

also, via gradenko_2000 in the doomsday economics thread:
https://twitter.com/thelateempire/s...agenumber%3D102

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

platzapS posted:

i dunno

it depends

what you're into

well, ideally i envision an anthropomorphized version of the concept of bitcoin ravishing me in the midnight hours

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lamebot posted:

well, ideally i envision an anthropomorphized version of the concept of bitcoin ravishing me in the midnight hours

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Pounded in the butt by a massive anthropomorphic golden Bitcoin

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

At the time of this post it's down into the 6400s, the lowest it's been since mid-December.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/UnlimitedTrader/status/960498217996734465

• Locked thread