Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I work for a very large county forest preserve district and it's been great so far. It's nice working with a lot of crunchy people who cancel meetings because they conflict with the eclipse viewing. It's about 50/50 desk/outdoors (well 90/10 in the winter and 10/90 in the summer) and for the first time in 20 years I work 8-4 instead of random nights and weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is my first ever season almost entirely out of the field since I started field work as a junior in high school. I have a new baby and a five year old and my wife does night shift work. I'm hoping it's not the beginning of the end because field work is still where I feel most myself. I'm a little worried about my depression as I sit at home in the lab coordinating my crews while they travel to my favorite places to be.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm a little worried about my depression

Honestly, one of the main reasons I don't want to give up where I am. I get paid to be on a beach, listen to/watch the birds, and keep an eye out for sea turtles (big mamas laying nests, and little ones on their way to the water). There's a certain magic to the coast here that can at least hold the depression at bay enough for me to mostly function, and as soon as I'm away from the beach for any length of time it all comes roaring back hard.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Field work can definitely be nice but we work year round and I was literally out of the house and camping 208 days a year so it came down to fun questions like "Why the gently caress am I paying rent" and "How do I date someone/maintain a relationship" when im gone that long.

So after a couple years of that I'm happy to do office work for a bit and go out with the crews once a project to check in on things.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Telsa Cola posted:

Well, I finally got the promotion I have been wanting for awhile so my field work days may soon be mostly over.

It's a bit of a pay cut due to losing out on the sweet sweet per diem, but I'm not yet thirty and my knees are fairly shot at this point after about sixish years of non-stop survey work.

Losing the shift differential and holiday pay was pretty sad pay wise the first year I transferred out of the field. I'm in my third year though and my pay is now substantially more due to the class I transferred into.

And yea, field work is brutal on the body. Pretty sure I've got the start of carpal tunnel or something from chainsaw work and I'm only in my 30s...