Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

You're arguing this is out of taking the moral high ground, as opposed to having other priorities and being really isolationist?

I'm just curious, is this thread working out the way you hoped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Star posted:

Everyone sucks, dude. I dont know what to tell you. History is full of genocides and slavery. Geez, man.

#allgenocidesmatter

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Peven Stan posted:

#allgenocidesmatter

Do some genocides not matter? :confused:

Weird

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Peven Stan posted:

#allgenocidesmatter
Except against the jungle Asians who are polluting Greater China (aka Vietnam and Korea) tight Peven Stan?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this was a thread about lovely white people and not liberal whataboutism

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Peven Stan posted:

I thought this was a thread about lovely white people and not liberal whataboutism

Awww, looks like the genocide apologist is getting his fee fees hurt. ;)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does #deflategate count as history? Because that will start a fight way more reliably than the War of 1812 or whatever.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm just curious, is this thread working out the way you hoped?

It's taking on a life of its own, but I'm okay with that. Fly little thread, spread your wings!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

Sounds like the standard white guy trying to deflect from his own terrible history.

A little thought experiment for you: Why is every country in the world a westphalian nation state and why do people globally wear white men's business suits?

Historically speaking there have been several empires that could've engaged in european style colonialism and mass genocide, but didn't. Either out of sheer laziness or the fact that their ruling ideology value see sailing around the world and enslaving everyone they could see.

It's a typical deflection utilized by dishonest white liberals, and ironically another instance of this thread living up to it's premise unintentionally.

I never got the whole "Westphalian statehood is a Western imperialist invention". It's like people think China, Japan (i guess if you don't count Jesuits), SE Asian countries, and the Middle East did not have states or statehood before white people showed up

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Peven Stan posted:

So only white people are Americans?

It is well-within the boundaries of the thread to talk about history that will make a black or hispanic American punch you too.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Peven Stan posted:

Sounds like the standard white guy trying to deflect from his own terrible history.

A little thought experiment for you: Why is every country in the world a westphalian nation state and why do people globally wear white men's business suits?

Historically speaking there have been several empires that could've engaged in european style colonialism and mass genocide, but didn't. Either out of sheer laziness or the fact that their ruling ideology value see sailing around the world and enslaving everyone they could see.

It's a typical deflection utilized by dishonest white liberals, and ironically another instance of this thread living up to it's premise unintentionally.

The worst of the worst was Genghis Khan, and despite what Howard Hughes would have you believe, he wasn't a white guy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

icantfindaname posted:

I never got the whole "Westphalian statehood is a Western imperialist invention". It's like people think China, Japan (i guess if you don't count Jesuits), SE Asian countries, and the Middle East did not have states or statehood before white people showed up
Westphalian statehood goes beyond just merely the existence of states, it's the concept of the state having total sovereignty over its territory and domestic affairs - beyond both ruler and ruled. And sure, that might also have been a consciously recognized thing before and elsewhere, but it is not the same thing as merely the concept of the state.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's exceptionalism

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

exmarx posted:

it's exceptionalism

Yup, both in a positive and negative sense.
Americans don't seem to hold a very nuanced view of their country from my euro perspective. Its either rah rah usa or ameriKKKa.
Not everything good/bad in the world is a consequence of american action.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Peven Stan posted:

I agree white people are loving terrible in general, but lets refrain from using literal CIA propaganda terms, okay?

Peven Stan posted:

Chinese people discovered East Africa before YT and came with bigger ships and more people, yet somehow never colonized.

The Muslim Empires had their own African slave trade as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It's taking on a life of its own, but I'm okay with that. Fly little thread, spread your wings!

• Locked thread