Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Random with kieranmillar: https://youtu.be/Y0SszMqvpWI

Commentary: We decided, due to the glacial pace of this series, to skip the pre-set kingdoms that mix Seaside with the other sets. In retrospect, that was probably a mistake, but it goes to show that not every random kingdom really offers much. We got no villages in either kingdom and lots of various attacks without much good defense. I think luck was really against me both times, but I'd have done much better in the first game with another Lookout (and possibly a replacement Swindler, but it wouldn't have come into play much), and in the second game with at least one more Upgrade to give me a chance of turning my Sea Hags into something good. I don't know that Mills were very good for me in the face of Militia attacks, and of course, I ignored the handsize attacks in both games to my detriment. I probably should have gone for Islands in the first game to thin even faster and preserve what little value the Estates offered. Wishing Wells were a key card in the second game, and I let too many of them go. I had an opportunity near the end to bring the split to 6-4, I think, and bought a Market instead of a Wishing Well and maybe a Silver or a Lookout. Basically, I needed to deny more of the key cards for my opponent in each game, as much as the Duchies may have slowed me down in the first one. They're good for Militia attacks, and I was gathering enough money for a respectable number of Provinces. I could certainly have slowed him down with some discard and topdeck attacks, but I never saw a good opportunity to go for them. The Markets in the second game really didn't help me. I might have been better off getting more Upgrades and turning them into Gold when I had nothing better to do. Filling my deck with Gold would keep me in the Province game.

Kieran's last turn was totally Yu-Gi-Oh, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Lest the time get away from me before I get around to completing the next video, it's been recorded already. We're moving to the Prosperity expansion next because there's been little interest in this thread as it is, and I fear Alchemy might just kill it where it stands.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nidoking posted:

Lest the time get away from me before I get around to completing the next video, it's been recorded already. We're moving to the Prosperity expansion next because there's been little interest in this thread as it is, and I fear Alchemy might just kill it where it stands.

That's good news, it's my favorite set.

I try to watch every video, but there's usually not much to say/write afterwards.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nidoking posted:

Woo, Prosperity!

Dominion's always a neat game but the early expansions kind of lack in bells and whistles. Prosperity adding an extra tier is always fun, but honestly I'd suggest doing as few preset kingdoms as possible per expansion. Maybe cap them with a random?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Glazius posted:

Woo, Prosperity!

Dominion's always a neat game but the early expansions kind of lack in bells and whistles. Prosperity adding an extra tier is always fun, but honestly I'd suggest doing as few preset kingdoms as possible per expansion. Maybe cap them with a random?

Half the fun of Dominion is plotting a course through weird boards where you need unusual sources of actions/buys/money to make the best deck, and the later expansions add a lot of ways to do that. If you feel like you are going too slow, then feel free to speed things up a bit.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Beginners with kieranmillar: https://youtu.be/GJeVk-BBgfY

Commentary: This was a painfully long game. It's tough when you're forced to buy Victory cards before your deck is ready to handle them (although I don't think this kingdom really provides any opportunities to be ready for them), but the control cards run quickly and there's always a danger of your opponent ending the game if you don't have a substantial lead. I'm sure the Rabble was a much better opener than the Royal Seal was - the attacks get painful quickly, and Rabble is a big pain early on. I feel like I should have had a much bigger advantage from the early Expand. Maybe I needed to use it instead of the attacks sometimes, just to keep up momentum so I could catch up later.

When a game runs this long, you start to wonder whether a Treasure strategy would have worked better, particularly when Platina are available, but I think the attacks here hurt too much for that. If you don't contest the Rabbles and Workers' Villages, your opponent will be reducing your hand to three cards and piling Estates on top of your deck every turn, and you'll never catch up. All in all, I don't think there's enough support for Goons to lean on it as heavily as I did, but I don't think I had an opportunity to go for Victory cards either. And while Bank was a powerful card, I guarantee that had I bought one, it would never have been worth more than four coins - and that only with no +Buy available. I guess it's good on a great turn, but I don't think I had a great turn in my deck, anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Friendly Interactive with kieranmillar: https://youtu.be/RC2mNgqXcaw

Commentary: I guess Contraband was a mistake. Having one Workers' Village in the early game seems essential, and Vault is almost certainly a requirement for increasing your money without a lot of Treasures getting in the way of what little draw you have. The limited trashing really hurt me in the second game, but I honestly don't know what went wrong in the first. It's hard to maneuver a good chance to use Forge here, because most of the targets for it are the cards you need for drawing. Peddler-Silver works, if you can set that up and get enough cheap Peddlers.