Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
We closed on our house a couple of weeks ago, and I've been debating what to do with the proceeds from the sale.

Here is the important info:

My wife has $38,000~ in student debt (5.7% interest)
We don't have a car payment, and won't in the future (my job takes care of that)
We have no credit card debt
I myself have no student loan debt
We made $55,000~ from the house (after costs)
We just signed a 12 month lease for an apartment so we didn't have to rush into buying a new house and could take our time (and could save a bit of money, even though renting is loving ridiculous)

So I ask you goons, what the hell do I do?

Going into the house selling process, my plan was to pay off my wife's loans entirely and then take the rest of the money and put it into a large down payment on a different house (in a less desirable area, because I'm a cheapskate, and start the process over again). I figured if I could do that, and reduce our total debt while lowering our overall interest rate by a point or so, it'd be like refinancing.

I know absolutely nothing about investing, which is why I've been apprehensive to go in that direction (I'm not a betting man).

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

ozymandius1024 posted:

We closed on our house a couple of weeks ago, and I've been debating what to do with the proceeds from the sale.

Here is the important info:

My wife has $38,000~ in student debt (5.7% interest)
We don't have a car payment, and won't in the future (my job takes care of that)
We have no credit card debt
I myself have no student loan debt
We made $55,000~ from the house (after costs)
We just signed a 12 month lease for an apartment so we didn't have to rush into buying a new house and could take our time (and could save a bit of money, even though renting is loving ridiculous)

So I ask you goons, what the hell do I do?

Going into the house selling process, my plan was to pay off my wife's loans entirely and then take the rest of the money and put it into a large down payment on a different house (in a less desirable area, because I'm a cheapskate, and start the process over again). I figured if I could do that, and reduce our total debt while lowering our overall interest rate by a point or so, it'd be like refinancing.

I know absolutely nothing about investing, which is why I've been apprehensive to go in that direction (I'm not a betting man).

Any thoughts?
5.7% is a solid guaranteed return rate. I would pay off those student loans right away. Then stockpile cash in a high yield savings account (>1.4% at basically all online banks these days) for your down payment on the next house. You don't want short term (<5yr) savings in The Market. At most you could use a money market or short duration treasury fund.

When you say you know nothing about investing, do you and your wife contribute to a 401k? You want to put 15% of your gross away, at a minimum. While you have reasonably sizable high interest debts, I would say its best to only invest enough to hit employer match and kill the debt... As soon as the student loans are gone, >15%. That is another discussion though.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

5.7% is a solid guaranteed return rate. I would pay off those student loans right away. Then stockpile cash in a high yield savings account (>1.4% at basically all online banks these days) for your down payment on the next house. You don't want short term (<5yr) savings in The Market. At most you could use a money market or short duration treasury fund.

When you say you know nothing about investing, do you and your wife contribute to a 401k? You want to put 15% of your gross away, at a minimum. While you have reasonably sizable high interest debts, I would say its best to only invest enough to hit employer match and kill the debt... As soon as the student loans are gone, >15%. That is another discussion though.

My wife has a 401k through her job, but my employer doesn't offer anything (and it's not something I've ever looked into because of my lack of understanding/laziness).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Investing isn't day trading, it's not betting in that sense. Take the next couple of months and look into the long term investing thread and make it a priority to learn how to save and invest your money. Don't put it off, it's one of those things like exercise where it doesn't matter if you're doing it perfect, just that you start as early as possible and keep at it consistently.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Make sure you set aside enough money that you can avoid PMI on the next home loan. Otherwise pay off student loan.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Let me tell you about this new exciting thing called Bitcoin!

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

moana posted:

Investing isn't day trading, it's not betting in that sense. Take the next couple of months and look into the long term investing thread and make it a priority to learn how to save and invest your money. Don't put it off, it's one of those things like exercise where it doesn't matter if you're doing it perfect, just that you start as early as possible and keep at it consistently.

I will do that, thank you :)

n8r posted:

Make sure you set aside enough money that you can avoid PMI on the next home loan. Otherwise pay off student loan.

That's been my aim, and I don't think it should be too much of a problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do you guys have any retirement savings

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Y probably know this, but make sure you qualify for the tax exclusion (lived in it a full two years during the 5 years previous to the sale, etc.). If you get a 1099-S your broker probably hosed something up. I have a friend who hosed that up (didn't meet the requirements) and had to pay income taxes.

Assuming that is fine, pay off the 5.7% debt. Like SiGmA_X says that is a guaranteed rate of return and 5.7% isn't bad. For a guaranteed return it's quite good actually.

Then put aside a 6 month expenses emergency fund and if anything is left look to tax-advantaged (retirement) and taxable investments in that order.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

n8r posted:

This, but to take it a step further, also look into Roth IRA/traditional IRA/stock/bond options. If you go the stock option, be sure to do a proper valuation of the company's stock to see if it's under/over-valued (https://www.sec.gov & https://finance.yahoo.com). If you go the bond option, look for one that's non-callable at least until you want to pull it out as a down on the next house (https://www.finra.org & https://www.morningstar.com/bonds.html). If you're not sure about how the whole stock/bond thing works, it's best to go to a bank and talk to a financial advisor. Also, you can peruse this thread to get a feel for the lingo: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=933

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ixian posted:

Y probably know this, but make sure you qualify for the tax exclusion (lived in it a full two years during the 5 years previous to the sale, etc.). income taxes.

It's actually 5 of 8 years now, thanks to the new tax bill. And no, it doesn't grandfather you in if you bought house before thr bill.

edit: nm, it looks like this change didn't make it through. I'm trying to verify that now because it was in the house and senate version, last i had checked

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Thesaurus posted:

It's actually 5 of 8 years now, thanks to the new tax bill. And no, it doesn't grandfather you in if you bought house before thr bill.

edit: nm, it looks like this change didn't make it through. I'm trying to verify that now because it was in the house and senate version, last i had checked

It didn't make it in, no. Still 2 of 5 years, and 250/500k cap.

• Locked thread