Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
The feature drew a strongly negative response from many users.[4][5] Microsoft turned off the feature by default in Office XP, acknowledging its unpopularity in an ad campaign spoofing Clippy.[6] The feature was removed altogether in Office 2007 and Office 2008 for Mac, as it continued to draw criticism even from Microsoft employees.

gone longer than he’s been around, which puts ‘lol clippy lol’ on par with “Why doesn’t MTV play music videos anymore?”
but...

2005 - giving a PowerPoint to a hundred people with a projector and an audio setup for embedded video. Clippy pops up five minutes into the talk and ‘taps’ on the screen.
You can get in early and have VGA cables in hand, and make sure the audio all works and is set to a proper volume for the room, and do everything right and then FAAAAAAAAARRRTTTTTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

2005 - giving a PowerPoint to a hundred people with a projector and an audio setup for embedded video. Clippy pops up five minutes into the talk and ‘taps’ on the screen.
You can get in early and have VGA cables in hand, and make sure the audio all works and is set to a proper volume for the room, and do everything right and then FAAAAAAAAARRRTTTTTT
are you ok

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the gently caress do you have to do to get clippy play a fart SFX

what kind of easter egg is that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
just map one of his common sounds to a specific mic input, bespokenly sourced from your rear end.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wasn't clippy originally part of Microsoft bob?
In fact, where can i get a copy of bob, one of my staff is going on holiday soon and I need to find a way to have his computer load that when he boots it up

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
remember that one animation that vaguely looks like he’s giving the finger out of the corner of your eye but really it was him pointing up? 👆

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wasn't clippy originally part of Microsoft bob?
In fact, where can i get a copy of bob, one of my staff is going on holiday soon and I need to find a way to have his computer load that when he boots it up

his name is clippit please see op for more info

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

quote:

According to Alan Cooper, the "Father of Visual Basic," the concept of Clippit was based on a "tragic misunderstanding" of research conducted at Stanford University, showing that the same part of the brain in use while using a mouse or keyboard was also responsible for emotional reactions while interacting with other human beings and thus is the reason people yell at their computer monitors.[7] Microsoft concluded that if humans reacted to computers the same way they react to other humans, it would be beneficial to include a human-like face in their software.[8] As people already related to computers directly as they do with humans, the added human-like face emerged as an annoying interloper distracting the user from the primary conversation.

i'm the tragic misunderstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Caganer posted:

i'm the tragic misunderstanding

:roboluv:

• Locked thread