Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Made of Meat

So, apparently the Something Awful Dot Com Forums Dot Com has some sort of "Olympics" thrad that exists. I'm not a big fan of sports (except those featuring sweaty, muscly men in tiny outfits), but apparently this being an even-numbered year, there's another "olympic" games going on.

Let's discuss the most BYOB games!

Obviously, Hammock Kitty is our mascot, and ducks and frogs are the motif of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

I'm pretty sure that the year not being evenly divisible by 4 means that it's the winter olympics.

Although this definitely adds to the "chill" factor, it makes doing stuff much harder..

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

I just did 1.8 seconds of internet searching, and found that these are the winter olympics games:

Alpine Skiing
Biathlon
Bobsleigh
Cross Country Skiing
Curling
Figure skating
Freestyle Skiing
Ice Hockey
Luge
Nordic Combined
Short Track Speed Skating
Skeleton
Ski Jumping
Snowboard
Speed skating

I know a few of these things. This being BYOB, Biathletes are just as welcome as everyone else. I know a few Bobs, but none of them have sleighs, so I can't really comment on that.

Counterintuitively, curling has less to do with hairstyles than with sweeping the floor. Neither are the sport for me.

Nordic Combined is a dependent clause, and I'm waiting for closure on it.

We've had quite a few skeletons posting on BYOB, and I'm hoping they score well on this event.

Koishi Komeiji

A byob decathlon would be like 3 yard dash, dab, post off, dab, small jump, nap.

FluffieDuckie

Koishi Komeiji posted:

A byob decathlon would be like 3 yard dash, dab, post off, dab, small jump, nap.

Joke’s on everyone else, I’ve been training in that for years

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Is the dabbing both kinds of dabbing, or one kind of dabbing twice? Which kind?

Edit: This I would consider an Olympic level dab:
https://twitter.com/MEMESG0D/status/954626802336452608

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
Really disappointed that Skeleton is just sliding down ice.

The event is cool but I had really high expectations for something called Skeleton

Koishi Komeiji

Dad!?!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

My dad uses blades.

Macnult

byob snowboard events include chair lift joint rolling, and a contest to see who can say ‘gnarly’ the funniest

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Macnult posted:

byob snowboard events include chair lift joint rolling, and a contest to see who can say ‘gnarly’ the funniest

also longest duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Macnult

TVsVeryOwn posted:

also longest duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

lol

Piso Mojado

the byob biathlon is just walking to several different rooms in your house and posting from your phone

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Piso Mojado posted:

the byob biathlon is just walking to several different rooms in your house and posting from your phone

wearing a lampshade

Piso Mojado posted:

wearing a lampshade

Getting the bronze for most funny / original Harry Potter weed joke , but it's cool just happy to be here and participate man, the real reward was the empty quotes

Macnult

Piso Mojado posted:

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
just watched the opening. it's amazing how many pepsi logos i saw despite coca cola being the exclusive sponsor

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I'm the oily man with no shirt

Livepostin' from the arena

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Where are yall.

I wanted to live post through the whole opening thing but my phone died at stirfriday.

Here's what I would have said if my phone was on. Imagine this is my real-time color commentary on the whole shebang

Hugh Malone posted:

the floor is 4k

...THE FLOOR IS 4 FUCK8NG K!

Hugh Malone posted:

I, for one, accept our new drone overlords

Hugh Malone posted:

This is cool, because Korea invented the firework

Hugh Malone posted:

That totally should have been a ski slope, kind of messed up they made them run up that thing right?

Hugh Malone posted:

It ain't over until we have somebody sing opera.

It was okay and actually fit with the swelling momentum of the ceremony,
The only weird part was that anybody thought opera was pertinent

ouch may I hab a bandoid that was sharp

[quote="Hugh Malone"]
Lady with the torch so matter-of-fact, Frances McDormanding the heck out of it

Yep, here's the torch guys. You like it? Look hot? Here's your torch

Hugh Malone posted:

Biggest torch ever lit, most amazing cohesive and wonderful opening ceremony I've ever seen. So free of weirdness, cultural significance, speaks to everybody, a real ceremony for the people.

Hugh Malone posted:

Oh, here we go. I just got served.

Hugh Malone posted:

Oh ok, they were actually awesome and I need to look up their real b-boy videos now

Hugh Malone posted:

.... ( at this point we're eating the rest of stirfriday and not looking at TV)

What did you guys think of the opening thing

Robot Made of Meat

Hugh Malone posted:

Where are yall.

I wanted to live post through the whole opening thing but my phone died at stirfriday.

Here's what I would have said if my phone was on. Imagine this is my real-time color commentary on the whole shebang

What did you guys think of the opening thing

I'm glad you summarized it so I didn't have to watch it.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 10, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Ski jump, where you jump over a pair of skis.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Robot Made of Meat posted:

:cheers:

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Ski jump, where you jump over a pair of skis.

haha

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
It was on at stirfriday and nobody wanted to hear my "is this the superball, what teams are these" jokes so I had to shut up and watch it

FluffieDuckie

I watched it it was too long but I there were some really good moments

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

FluffieDuckie posted:

I watched it it was too long but I there were some really good moments

THE FLOOR WAS 4K