Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mysterious frankie posted:

it's extremely passive aggressive, but effective.

much like myself

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasterson

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIRuytyuzoY&t=48s

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

close, but he missed the mark on how humanity actually uses new technology

ty nesamdoom!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I like your posts very much.

It's interesting that your self-proclaimed technophobia appears, in that long post, to really be more of a societyphobia - it's not that computers are advancing too fast, it's that they're being used for terrible, wasteful purposes, mostly comprised of reinforcing that people should do those terrible, wasteful purposes; advertising is like 95% of the internet and AI business. This is a thing that really bothers me too. I'm a software engineer so I see it from the inside to some extent. That businesses and governments are driven by profit makes for some obviously wrong-direction decisions if you view things from a societal well-being perspective, or even individual well-being.

For a simple, obvious example, take Google, the search engine. Originally its purpose was just to be a good search engine, doing its absolute best to find the information the user wants. No user wants that result to be supplanted by marketing. Nobody in the company wants that result to be supplanted by marketing. Nobody wants to see an interstitial advertisement, and nobody whose video you're watching or game you're playing wants there to be interstitial advertisements in there. But money motive makes us inflict things we don't want to inflict on people who don't want to have those things inflicted. Even at the individual level, we make new products nobody asked for rather than fixing and maintaining products people like, because the prospects of promotion (and thereby more money) are better for people who make a new shabby product that takes off than they are for people who fix the previous shabby product. Security falls by the wayside. What a real human being wants falls by the wayside. What's good for humanity falls by the wayside.

We literally make products worse for everyone, on purpose, to try to get money. We invest thousands of man-hours of engineer time deliberately making products worse and maintaining that code that becomes overcomplicated 100% for the sake of being worse in a specific way.

The internet is supposed to be providing information to everyone, anything you need to know you can find out, but try finding out any sort of science thing and you'll hit a paywall in an instant. Fancy inventing something that will make people's lives better? Someone has a lovely vague patent that overlaps your idea, because money motive, and while that patent isn't actually valid, fighting it is expensive, so unless you're rich gently caress you basically, and gently caress everyone who would benefit from your idea.

AI looking like it will be used for evil is a symptom of this same disease, it's not the disease itself. But it might be a scary symptom.

420 SWAGLORD

saban bajramovic

roomforthetuna posted:

AI looking like it will be used for evil is a symptom of this same disease, it's not the disease itself. But it might be a scary symptom.

I'm too high 2 reply atm but this guy definitely gets it

BoldFrankensteinMir

roomforthetuna posted:

I think I follow you and I hope you're right. I don't have an engineer's insight, merely a consumer's, but as a consumer who waaaaay overdid machine dependence as a young man I can't help but be reviled by the premise of even more intimate interfaces, more complete dependencies, especially with a machine made even more for the purpose of obfuscation than it was in my youth. I threw away a lot of life using a computer as a crutch, so the next year's model of ultra-crutches gives me great pause.

You're probably right that I'm more afraid of society than of technology, I've always been primarily focused on how people's umwelts react to advancements than the advancements themselves. My overall reaction to Western culture is everybody tells me look at all that cheese out there, but when I look all I see is an ocean of mouse traps.

420 SWAGLORD

saban bajramovic

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

My overall reaction to Western culture is everybody tells me look at all that cheese out there, but when I look all I see is an ocean of mouse traps.

You're too woke man, I have the same problem. Try and get some rest if you can, know what I mean? Stay up too long and you start jumping at shadows. Lot of mousetraps out there but a lot of cheese too. Talk about the crutch but it got you to a decent place, wouldn't be posting here without it

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

stop all the downloading

help computer

Farecoal

There he go

alnilam posted:

stop all the downloading

help computer

BoldFrankensteinMir

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Talk about the crutch but it got you to a decent place, wouldn't be posting here without it

It did not get me to a decent place, my life is a shambles and I still wrestle daily with ending it out of despair. I keep trying to quit web use entirely but SA remains too attractive. I've nuked everything else though.

I don't even heat or cool my home except in emergencies, I'm disastrously low tech.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
This isn't worth its own thread so I'm invading this one to complain, and I'll sort of tie it to the topic by suggesting that we will never make AIs that are slaves because that would be convenient, and for some reason we make all technology as stupid and inconvenient as we possibly can.

Because god drat what the gently caress why would a web service require a password with a specific length and specific characters and you can't reuse a password you've used there before? What security can it possibly add to keep a record of all the passwords you've used in the past, and deny you the option to use them again? The only time you ought to deny the option to reuse a password is if you believe an earlier password database was compromised. Instead, we get a site where I changed password once because I couldn't remember it, and it turned out the password I wanted to use was the one I already used, but now I can't use it, and so I can only set it to a password I definitely won't remember in future. And of course this thing also uses an app, which you have to use to do in-store payments, and in order to finalize a transaction you have to enter the password, so because it's an app and not a browser-thing in this context the password can't be usefully remembered by a database somewhere, so every time I'm in the store and want to use the app to pay I have to do the password recovery sequence, which is actually a password replacement sequence, and come up with a password I haven't used before, which as a bonus invalidates the password that is saved in my browser, so next time I want to log in with the browser after that I have to use another different new password.

At this point I'm so irritated by this system that I'm tempted to make a bot that just keeps on resetting my password to aaaaaa aaaaab etc. all day long, which would probably cause their database become extremely slow because who would put an index on an 'old passwords' field? Or maybe there's a limit on how many old passwords it keeps, in which case cramming a few thousand garbage passwords in there would maybe let me actually use the one password I want to use for this site again.

Bringing this back on topic, if we can't even get something simple like that to do what a user wants, it seems pretty clear that we'll try to make A.I.s slaves, but instead we'll make them push us down the stairs and shove bread down our throats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

That was moving.

This thread never stops giving me new perspectives to consider. I'm still processing (harhar) it all but I already feel like my feelings about the subject are changing. I'm trying to look right at those changes and will report back.

• Locked thread