Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What's your door clearance and ceiling height?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mister Dog posted:

Short answer, yes. But, there's hope. I won't be able to tally all the hours in until this is actually done, but so far this has gone up far faster than a similar stick frame would have. So, if I were paying someone to put this up for me, there would probably be significant savings on labor costs. Plus, the end result is sooo much better. I mean,

vs.

No contest

I'm guessing yours probably won't come with the Cobra.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm guessing yours probably won't come with the Cobra.

drat, you're right. I need to buy a Cobra.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

angryrobots posted:

What's your door clearance and ceiling height?

Door opening is 7’6”. Ceiling is about 8’6” to the rafters, 9’2” to the ceiling proper. It’s short, but local code required I keep the total height under 20’ and so it goes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This floorplan has an upstairs though right? I mean yeah the low ceiling will probably annoy you occasionally, and will limit any lift you install, but you have a ton of storage space for the size of the construction.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

angryrobots posted:

This floorplan has an upstairs though right? I mean yeah the low ceiling will probably annoy you occasionally, and will limit any lift you install, but you have a ton of storage space for the size of the construction.

Right, there is a walk-up loft, which looks huge now that the deck is on.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Had a busy week, with lots of work and no posting, so let's get to it!
After getting the loft decking on Monday, Tuesday was a wash with like 17 inches of rain. That hasty coat of water seal seemed to have held up :toot:. Wednesday morning, water was beading on it like a motherfucker and it wasn't tacky at all. So, next step was lifting the rafters. Busy bustin my rear end, I didn't take any good progress pics. Here's about midway thru.

This was rough. I mean, I'm not in as good of shape as I used to be, but I'm no slouch either. But this left me aching in muscles I had forgotten I had. The nice expensive lift was long gone, so each of those rafter had to be hoisted onto the loft deck by hand. My Dad and I worked on the ground, Uncle upstairs and we beast-moded 42 4x8 rafters 12 feet in the air. We sent them up in sets of three and assembled them in place. Each "truss" is formed by two rafters and a shorter 4x8 collar tie joined by, of course, pegged mortise and tenon joints. We set each of the rafters in their convenient dados. Ones like to the right in this shot:

Bonus doggo
Then, we lifted each rafter onto a scaffold set up on the loft floor, set into the collar tie, then whacked the oak pegs home. Each rafter got a pair of 8-inch lag screws into the top plate, then onto the next. 20 more times. Since there is no ridge beam, there was still some play side-to-side by that point, especially if torqued at the peak, so some temporary bracing was added. Driving pegs in whilst standing on a rickety scaffold 20 feet in the air clearly wasn't enough to deal with, so we had a bit of a blow-out problem with the first few.

To remedy this, we just used a clamp to keep that grain together, and it worked out ok.

We had just enough time following that to finish setting the purlins on the two gables, which meant the frame was officially complete.

To mark the occasion, I had a little topping out ceremony, which was sadly short and devoid of any of the traditional spirits since by then it was time to leave for my real job.

Mister Dog fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 10, 2018

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Alright then, I'll carry this thing on to page three by myself if I have to.
Next on was the roof sheathing. This was 1x6 tongue and groove planks, face nailed. Went steadily, but not exactly fast. Having to manage even slight warping of the boards added up by the time we got to the peak. Characteristic progress shot:

We were able to get about 6-8 rows up standing on the scaffolding. Further on, we lifted that aluminum pick onto roof jacks and made it almost to the peak. To finished up on the first side, I climbed onto the collar ties from inside and finished it off. Reaching the peak on the second side was...challenging.

We had neither the ladder power nor the roof jacks needed to make a proper scaffold all the way up, so we sort of pieced it together. To start off, I again climbed up onto the collar ties. But obviously, this wasn't going to last long. So, I fashioned a hasty plank to have something to walk on, then grabbed 1x6s thru the remaining gap in the roof until there was none. Then, I had to disassemble the hasty plank whilst standing on it, then slide down to the pick we placed about 6 rows up. It worked.

Which left just the ends to cut off

Which was more of a bitch than I would have thought. I mean, it's just snap a line and run a circular saw, right? The roof was much to steep to just stand on and walk, so I had to move a ladder/assemble and re-assemble a scaffolding to stand on. I could never really get too far without having to stand directly in front of or behind the saw and taking a sawdust blast to the face. But, once again, the task was completed.
Sunday, I took the day off and just cleaned up a bit, which is always good for the job-site soul.

Coming up this week, roofing and siding and probably a staircase too. Roofing materials are ordered and I have to make a decision on siding. Finished sheathing will be clapboards. Anyone have any experience with fiber-cement, PVC, or other composites? I really don't know what I'm getting into there.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Looking good, man. Those pegged joints are incredible

Everyone is following along, we promise.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Yeah, I'm quietly following along, full of envy. This thing is beautiful and I wish I had something like this.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yup nothing to contribute yet (never) but enjoying reading about your progress.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Mister Dog posted:

Anyone have any experience with fiber-cement, PVC, or other composites? I really don't know what I'm getting into there.

I hear nothing but good things about asbestos sheets!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is really neat.

If you don't want to say that's cool but what's a ballpark estimate on cost for doing this whole thing? Might consider such an upgrade to a home in the future and was curious.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This is really taking shape, I'm insanely jealous

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

This is awesome, and I love the pegged mortise and tenon joints

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
I just started reading this thread today and want to say thank you for all the pics and for detailing your project. My wife and I have been watching the post and beam house build that a husband and wife team are doing on the Pure Living for Life YouTube channel, and it's exciting to watch your progress. Keep at it!

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Please, keep up the quality posting.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

That Works posted:

This is really neat.

If you don't want to say that's cool but what's a ballpark estimate on cost for doing this whole thing? Might consider such an upgrade to a home in the future and was curious.

Oh, I'll say, no problem.
The kit itself was almost exactly $40k. I had to pay to have a foundation and slab poured, the repair the hole in the driveway I made. That was just under $10k. I still haven't gotten the bill from the excavator, but that will be another few thousand. About $1900 in roofing supplies. Add on other miscellany, of which so far the most expensive of which was telehandler rental for $600, and that gets me another $2k so far. So, I'm up to around $55k. Which admittedly, is getting pricey. In comparison, on the far cheap end, a similarly-sized metal framed pre-fabricated kit would run under $10k. Costs of excavating and concrete work would probably be a lot cheaper, since you could probably just build onto a slab. Of course, a lot of those are hot garbage. In the more middle-range, a stick framed kit from Costco (yes, Costco!) would come in at just around $20k. I think it's safe to say the differential I paid to upgrade to a timber frame was around $15k. There were a lot of custom changes I had to make that account discrepancy. I did all the math and thought it was worth it. This building will still be around, mostly just as it is right now, long after I'm gone. And that's p cool.
I still need to account for electrics and if you've got a living space in mind you'll of course have to account for additional insulation, plumbing, fixtures, etc. I very roughly figured that to take the very same kit I got and make it livable would probably land around $100k.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Everyone is following along, we promise.

Thanks, friends! Good to have you on board.

Shingles are on

For anyone here who hasn't done any roofing, you should give it a go. With asphalt shingles anyway, it's quite simple. Note, I said simple, not easy. The physical effort can be quite grueling, especially in the summer. What with all the lifting of heavy bundles, negotiating a slope, and the constant threat of death and disability. Anyway, this went fast, since this was just about as simple of a roof as you could imagine. So, the roof is water-tight and just in time; rain is on the way overnight.
There was one step before the roof decking that I glazed over before. I needed to build out the eaves just a bit.

This wasn't strictly necessary, but since I'm aiming to match the trim details on my house, I needed to build it out to about 12". Since it will all be hidden by the soffit, I just used scraps.
Next up, siding.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Just had the siding on my house replaced with hardie plank and love it. The texture is great, took paint well, and has a lifetime warranty through the company and installer. Looked at vinyl options but we weren't happy with the options available or the way it would age based on some friends houses/experiences.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Super 3 posted:

Just had the siding on my house replaced with hardie plank and love it. The texture is great, took paint well, and has a lifetime warranty through the company and installer. Looked at vinyl options but we weren't happy with the options available or the way it would age based on some friends houses/experiences.

Hey thanks! Hardie is on the short list, along with NuCedar and good ol' cedar claps. I'm terrible at making decisions like this and so still haven't. Will probably end up buying whatever I get talked into by the sales guy at my local supplier. If I may ask, how much was your per square foot total?

Progress has slowed considerably, in no small part due to the wretched weather we've been having. Did get the shiplap sheathing up tho.

Didn't have too much excess, so even the warped boards ended up being used. Used the old standby, board with a nail in it, for the necessary leverage

and most of the joints came together p tight.

I mentioned that additional clapboards will go over top of this, so none of it will be seen on the exterior. But, on the other side, it is effectively the interior finished wall. There's still a bit of cleaning up to do and probably some kind of finished, but so far looking p nice.

I've been working on the stairway this week, which involved some good ol' fashioned mallet and chisel work

Treads and risers are on, as well as the posts. The rail and the rest of the balustrade has been excruciating. It all looks like poo poo right now, so no pics. If anyone reading regularly builds stairways, good on you. Getting everything to line up properly, meet code, and minimize unsightly gaps has been such a bitch. I think I've decided I'm going to tear the in-progress balustrade out and start over.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Chiming in for the lurkers, this is awesome.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Out of curiosity, what are you going to do for insulation? Or are you in an area where you don't really need it?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

The price was obfuscated and rolled into installation/painting/and all that crap.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do for insulation? Or are you in an area where you don't really need it?

Plan at this point is use rigid foam between the rafters and gables and for the downstairs, nothing. I thought about putting a layer of rigid foam on the exterior prior to the final sheathing, but it's a garage and I'll only ever really need it to be slightly warmer than bitterly cold/slightly cooler than scorchingly hot. This may be a really bad idea and I do have some concerns about poor climate control taking a toll on my tools. I may change my mind when colder or warmer weather comes.

Recent work has been on closing in the eaves. I decided to use some of the leftover tongue and groove planks from the roof, which I still have quite a few of left, for the soffit. This was essentially assembly-line work, but the weather was lovely, so I hauled the miter saw outside and enjoyed the sun. Since I went cheap and got the crappiest miter saw I could find, the first step of cutting the planks to length was twice as long, since I couldn't quite manage the cross-cut in one go.

So, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, flip, repeat. It took a while, but I got all 144 of them cut to length.

Continuing the assembly line, I got them all spread out using some of the tarps and PT 4x4s used during storage. I thought this would go p quickly once I got going, but once again, I went cheap and my low-volume high-pressure sprayer was not up to the task. So, I settled with spraying just the end grain and the tongues and grooves. For the flat faces, I used a roller.

I decided right then and there I was ordering the rest of the siding pre-primed. I was so tired and disgusted that by the end, I let my 3 year-old son finish up.

Next, was the actual fascia, which was a lot simpler and just required ripping 80+ linear feet at 6 inches wide. For a bonus, I added a dado to accept each of the ends of the soffit. Again, prime, flip, repeat.

To do this, I used by Dad's cabinet saw, which was nice but a bit of a surprise. He has a perfectly good contractor saw we could have used, but he thought that would have been under powered (probably true), so he disassembled his cabinet saw and hauled the whole thing over. It was great.
Here's the whole lot readied and stacked, six sides primed.

Finished off the weekend with some cleanup and made a decent deposit into woodpile savings and loan.

Today I had to spend catching up on the rest of grounds, which have been woefully ignored. Hauled about 2 tons of compost and got the lawn de-thatched and re-seeded. Still have the gardens to ready, but I think I have at least another few weeks to get seed in, so that can is getting kicked. Rain expected tomorrow, which will be great for all that grass seed I just planted, but will halt exterior work. Might be a good chance to finish the stair, which stands so

Really just have to finish the rail, which I think I mentioned, did not go well at all and I plan to start restart from scratch.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Work has been happening, just at a slower pace. Worked by actual job a lot last week, then a good friend stopped in from out of town over the weekend. But, got all the soffit up, which went really quickly and looks p good. So, I guess all that maddening prep work payed off.

Next step is to actually finished painting them, then cut the vents in. Getting hot as poo poo up in the loft with the eaves closed in. Also, ordered the siding and 3 overhead doors, so we should see those next week.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Sorry dudes, looks like it's been more than two weeks since the last update. I've been making progress, but this project has entered the middling stretch of loathing, self doubt, and unplanned trips to Home Depot. Recently tho, the sun has been shining, things are really coming together, and motivation to post has returned. So, let's get to it.
First thing I did since I left was to give up entirely on brush painting and ordered a Titan 1500 airless sprayer. No idea how the thing works yet, it just arrived in the mail. Will bust it open soon and give it a trial. I stopped painting about halfway finished with soffit on the rear of the building, and as you'll see, I'll have a quite a bit more to do very soon, so hopefully this thing chugs thru gallons of paint.
Since I disappeared:
-Siding arrived
-Tyvek rolled out
-Installed the two upstairs windows
-Flashed window and door openings
-Started hanging the siding trim
As usual, I did a terrible job documenting this with good pics, so I'll do my best. Here's a decent shot of almost all those steps in progress.

You see the (very poorly rolled) Tyvek, window with a single bit of flashing, and bits of the trim. The windows, you may recall, I had planned on building myself. But, on a routine trip to Lowe's for nails or caulk or some damned thing, I scanned thru the windows and came across essentially exactly what I wanted: double-hung, unfinished pine interior, white aluminum exterior cladding. There were two on the shelf that fit my opening almost exactly, priced essentially what it would have cost me just to get the hardware to scratch build one. I would have been stupid not to buy them, so of course I did. Went in super easy. I used two shims on each just to keep the screws from bending the jamb. Couldn't have asked for anything better. Flashed the openings with a self-adhering membrane. First try did not go well. Second went marginally better.
For the overhead door openings, I used aluminum roll.

My old man had the aluminum break, which made things so, so much easier. Two bends each with proper overlaps at the corners and here's what I've got.

Tyvek laps over top, the same self-adhering membrane to ensure the corners. All three opening are finished and ready for doors, which is timely, since I just got the call they have arrived. Delivery probably this week.
Oh, I also found a six-panel door in my attic that will work quite well for the side opening. Found with multiple layers of paint, rodent poo poo, and years of dust on both sides. Here's after two applications of a citrus paint stripper and a coarse scraping.

I think it will paint up nicely, and again, the size is almost spot on.
Before I get into siding, I'm going to get some better pics. I'll be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

I would just sit in there and drink beer and lovingly look at all of the woodgrain.

• Locked thread