Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC_lnyn2R2Q

We gotta talk about Clint Eastwood. Namely, is he ok?

The 15:17 to Paris is the latest film from the 87 year old director, and at first glance from the trailer it seems to absolutely be following in the vain of his late era Fox News, talk-to-a-chair conservatism that we saw in American Sniper and probably some of those other films he's done every year since but no one saw. But this is something different entirely. This film is about a real life terror attack on a train leaving from Amsterdam to Paris, when three Americans thwarted the would-be mass murderer and saved the life of the man he shot. These three heroes are not played by Hollywood stars, but instead they reenact their own story. In the final sequence of the film, the 15-20 minute attack and aftermath, we see Eastwood as consummate a director of action and heroism as he's ever been, opting for ambient silence on the soundtrack as these young men -- two of whom are military -- stop a tragedy in process.

But the 70 minutes leading up to that...holllyyyy shiiiitttt.

Comedic actors like Jaleel White, Thomas Lennon, and Tony Hale drift in and out of one-note roles. Kids deliver on the worst expectations for child actors. Judy Greer and Jenna Fischer yell about how ADD is not a real disorder. And most importantly, our three heroes embark on a journey across Europe where they see many sights, order a lot of food, and Clint is there every step of the way to make sure we know what flavor gelato, how much beer, and how many selfies.

This movie is baffling. It is utterly baffling. It's like anti-directing. It's like the worst Richard Linklater movie. It's three bros in Rome hanging doing regular tourist poo poo, taking selfies, talking about taking selfies, taking more selfies, and I just have no idea what to make of it. This ain't American Sniper, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Is this funded by the military? Clint Eastwood shifted into explicit military propaganda awhile ago but this is even more transparent. The trailer plays out like exactly like a recruitment video. I'm pretty sure the military has actually made movies like this in house before, so it wouldn't surprise me if they now have the budget for real directors and wide releases.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
How on earth does Eastwood not have to get a "back up" director to ensure the shoot is finished? He's 87, 6 years older than Altman when he did Prairie Home Companion, yet he'll get it done because why? There's 0 reason a 87 year old man needs to be directing films at any reason. Another point in the "Who did direct this?" as I can't imagine Clint is too hands on by any means at this age and time in the chair. Every job on set has to handed off to someone else and they just let the old man say cut?

Really interested in these old crazy Eastwood productions, does anyone know any stories behind his last works like that dumb baseball movie?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Moon Atari posted:

Is this funded by the military? Clint Eastwood shifted into explicit military propaganda awhile ago but this is even more transparent. The trailer plays out like exactly like a recruitment video. I'm pretty sure the military has actually made movies like this in house before, so it wouldn't surprise me if they now have the budget for real directors and wide releases.

Almost certainly. The military funds a ton of movies, and this one has shades of Act of Valor, what with the heroes playing themselves.

Howling Man posted:

How on earth does Eastwood not have to get a "back up" director to ensure the shoot is finished? He's 87, 6 years older than Altman when he did Prairie Home Companion, yet he'll get it done because why? There's 0 reason a 87 year old man needs to be directing films at any reason. Another point in the "Who did direct this?" as I can't imagine Clint is too hands on by any means at this age and time in the chair. Every job on set has to handed off to someone else and they just let the old man say cut?

Really interested in these old crazy Eastwood productions, does anyone know any stories behind his last works like that dumb baseball movie?

Well, Altman required a back-up director cause he was very sick at the time of filming, not because he was in his 80's. There's plenty of directors who reach old age who still manage to make great work. Sidney Lumet made Before the Devil Knows You're Dead at 86. Manoel de Oliveira was into his 100s and still working up until his death a few years ago. Agnes Varda is 89 going on 90 in March and she's nominated for an Oscar this year. Jean-Luc Godard is as old as Clint, and Frederick Wiseman, who just turned 88, keeps turning out masterpieces every year.

Clint's one of the oldest directors working in Hollywood today, and he seems to have free reign over his projects. But there's no doubt he's lost his touch, and Fox News has scrambled his brain as it has many a granddad before him. Also, fwiw, I don't think he directed that baseball movie, just acted in it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TrixRabbi posted:

Almost certainly. The military funds a ton of movies,

Yeah, if a movie has US military equipment or uniformed troops you know the military had some hand in funding or editing the movie. If the movie has military equipment and all has patches pasted over anything identifying and everything looks like it was filmed in thailand or something then you know the movie had something about the message that made the US military deny the request to loan stuff.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The sniper scenes in American Sniper were pretty dope, and I say this as somebody who despises the American military.

I don't know what ol' Clint was trying to do with non-actors here, though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

viral spiral posted:

The sniper scenes in American Sniper were pretty dope, and I say this as somebody who despises the American military.

They were generic at best. gently caress that movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's interesting to me that he got the actual men who did thwart the attack to play themselves .

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's interesting to me that cranberry jelly holds its shape after it comes out of the can.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
One of the heroes, Alek Skarlatos, is a pretty cool dude. Sad that his movie debut is loving terrible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

BigglesSWE posted:

They were generic at best. gently caress that movie.

What? The al-Qaeda dudes getting their heads splattered was :rock:

• Locked thread