Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
echi be honest

u would gently caress a fractal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sex is about the other person and fractals.. aren't really people and honestly if they were they'd be gross people

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

eschaton posted:

I ran some software what drew a fractal

how old is this photo? it's yellowed pretty badly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ok ... imagine hentai, but with seahorse tails

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
love to gently caress and cum in fractals

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Caganer posted:

love to gently caress and cum in fractals

don't post ur mom's vag

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
These are not fractals but dumbass woodworkers call them fractals endlessly. I'm setting up a less terrible rig this week to mark some bowls with.

Bad tests with a microwave transformer on hard maple - switching to a 9000v, 30ma neon transformer so it won't instantly murder me when I actually have to position the points:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
why arent those fractals???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because nature is imperfect and lame and only the cold hard reality of maths can bear a true fractal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

why arent those fractals???

they are, but horrible nerds who can't define the equation for the pattern get super pissed off

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
All you need to know about Lichtenberg figures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFTjFD84Q1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E12nnpWc5c

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh i made som,ethingh better than a fractal

https://giant.gfycat.com/EverlastingEnlightenedCaecilian.webm

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

they are, but horrible nerds who can't define the equation for the pattern get super pissed off

I mean they have fractal features, but they don't really fit all the characteristics of a fractal.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

like what? which characteristics dont they fit?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Corla Plankun posted:

like what? which characteristics dont they fit?

not fuckable

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
did echi gently caress the fractal yet

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Dongslayer. posted:

gently caress the fractal

this could make for a cool idiom

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dongslayer. posted:

did echi gently caress the fractal yet

Ive jerked off on mushrooms before and when I came I saw fractals in my brain does that count

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

moron izzard posted:

These are not fractals but dumbass woodworkers call them fractals endlessly. I'm setting up a less terrible rig this week to mark some bowls with.

Bad tests with a microwave transformer on hard maple - switching to a 9000v, 30ma neon transformer so it won't instantly murder me when I actually have to position the points:

These are fractals, of course they're fractals. They're not rendered down to an infinite number of iterations, but they don't have to be to display self-similarity independent of scale, which is obviously present just by looking at them. Lichtenstein figures similarly use electricity to burn fractals into polymers or glass.

There are a ton of fractals in nature, again, not "rendered" down to an infinite number of iterations, but still self-similar, including...

• clouds
  • river systems
  • mountain ranges
  • sand dunes
  • plants of every sort
  • fluid dynamics (self-similar down to the Kolmolgorov limit, iirc)
  • biological systems like lungs, blood vessels

They're literally everywhere, man.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

echinopsis posted:

Ive jerked off on mushrooms before and when I came I saw fractals in my brain does that count

it absolutely does. the blood vessels behind your eyes are fractals, you might have been seeing something inspired by that structure

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tom Collins posted:

These are fractals, of course they're fractals. They're not rendered down to an infinite number of iterations, but they don't have to be to display self-similarity independent of scale, which is obviously present just by looking at them. Lichtenstein figures similarly use electricity to burn fractals into polymers or glass.

There are a ton of fractals in nature, again, not "rendered" down to an infinite number of iterations, but still self-similar, including...

• clouds
  • river systems
  • mountain ranges
  • sand dunes
  • plants of every sort
  • fluid dynamics (self-similar down to the Kolmolgorov limit, iirc)
  • biological systems like lungs, blood vessels

They're literally everywhere, man.

I already answered this hours ago you dork. Its got fractal properties, but you can't just remove one of the major features of a proper fractal and still say they are one.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

moron izzard posted:

I already answered this hours ago you dork. Its got fractal properties, but you can't just remove one of the major features of a proper fractal and still say they are one.

Sure can, just did

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
A straight line is a fractal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tom Collins posted:

• butts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doom Mathematic posted:

A straight line is a fractal.

:monocle:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
if u really think about it, like existence is a fractal, what with all the quantum decisions, branching out forever

:2bong::okpos:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
this thread is a fractal and it can get hosed

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

moron izzard posted:

facts about your posts in this thread:
1. strong opinions about what does and doesnt have fractal properties
2. complete unwillingness to post what properties fractals have

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you can't "own" fractals man

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

facts about your posts in this thread:
1. strong opinions about what does and doesnt have fractal properties

3. Understands normal fuckers will just google it instead of putting that effort into writing bad posts.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It’s like arguing that this 5x4 rectangle is definitely a square, even though it’s missing core features of a square like having equal sides. You can’t just foo foo away the infinite repeatability bit.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

Fractals have the same level of complexity regardless of how far in you zoom. Fractals are "self-similar" in that a small portion of the fractal is very similar in structure or even identical to the whole, at arbitrary levels of magnification. This is basically the entire, fundamental definition of "fractal". Plants and many other natural structures do display self-similarity to some level of magnification, but you don't have to zoom in too far before you hit e.g. individual molecules and atoms, and what do you know, they no longer look like the whole fern frond/leaf back/whatever. So they aren't fractal, they just have a few levels of self-similarity/recursion going on.

"A fractal which is not rendered down to an infinite level of magnification" is a roundabout way of saying "a non-fractal". There are no fractals in nature.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
a fractal is a nonempty compact subset of a metric space that exhibits a non-integer Hausdorff dimention & exact self-similarity is literally no part of it. those sparky things are not fractals, but one could easily mistake them for fractals based on an empirical estimate of their dimension. hthth

the mathworld definition is really bad btw

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it is as accurate to say "there are no fractals in nature" as it is to say "there are no cubes" or "there are no point-masses" or "there are no rigid objects"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

moron izzard posted:

3. Understands normal fuckers will just google it instead of putting that effort into writing bad posts.

disagree. fractals are quite the abstract concept. you can’t explain away fractals in one explanation or equation and it’s very open ended

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Doom Mathematic posted:

Fractals have the same level of complexity regardless of how far in you zoom. Fractals are "self-similar" in that a small portion of the fractal is very similar in structure or even identical to the whole, at arbitrary levels of magnification. This is basically the entire, fundamental definition of "fractal". Plants and many other natural structures do display self-similarity to some level of magnification, but you don't have to zoom in too far before you hit e.g. individual molecules and atoms, and what do you know, they no longer look like the whole fern frond/leaf back/whatever. So they aren't fractal, they just have a few levels of self-similarity/recursion going on.

"A fractal which is not rendered down to an infinite level of magnification" is a roundabout way of saying "a non-fractal". There are no fractals in nature.

haha very wrong

e: fractals are often used to describe naturally occurring phenomena hth

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 1, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

it is as accurate to say "there are no fractals in nature" as it is to say "there are no cubes" or "there are no point-masses" or "there are no rigid objects"

this guy gets it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

rigid objects

:mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you guys have ruined this great thread with your bullshit nerd jizz

• Locked thread