Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theyre ignoring the noise emanated by the cell tower, not jamming it

if anything, you can sic the FCC on power or telecom companies that emit too much interference to your ham stuff. That's one huge advantage of getting the license. you can literally make PG&E investigate a bad pole transformer and replace it at no cost to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ah, that’s cool. thanks!

e: everything i know about signal interference I learned from that one scene in space balls.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
generally one cannot block a signal barring things like shielded cages etc. You can jam a signal and make it unintelligible; scream real loud so nobody can hear the whisper in the distance. But that falls off with inverse square law, and is also illegal.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I got it if it makes you feel better.

thank you

in any case ham is a cool hobby, if i have undnerstood correctly hams are probably the guys who will be responsible for the communication infrastructure after something like a carrington event happens and any regular cabled network becomes fried

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Penisface posted:

thank you

in any case ham is a cool hobby, if i have undnerstood correctly hams are probably the guys who will be responsible for the communication infrastructure after something like a carrington event happens and any regular cabled network becomes fried

lol if u wouldn't pay Jonny a gallon of everclear to talk to your loved ones

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

lol if u wouldn't pay Jonny a gallon of everclear to talk to your loved ones

Further lol if Jonny and everclear aren't already your loved ones

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Further lol if Jonny and everclear aren't already your loved ones

even further lol at me for using your instead of you're

yospos bithc

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

if anything, you can sic the FCC on power or telecom companies that emit too much interference to your ham stuff. That's one huge advantage of getting the license. you can literally make PG&E investigate a bad pole transformer and replace it at no cost to you

this is the only aspect of the hobby that makes it interesting to me, the status of spectrum as one of the most important intangible but finite resources about

if it was somehow infinite the entire thing would seem incredibly pointless to take an interest in, like being a fan of fine cabling

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cubicsdr is another macOS thing for the cheapo dongles but I dunno if I yet have a real preference for it over gqrx or vice versa

they both have their own goofiness

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jonny 290 posted:

my fave FCC action from the last few years was some agents tracking down a noise source to a store in a strip mall. A fluorescent ballast made by GE was failing and spewing RF everywhere, and they very nicely told the owner 'either take the free replacement ballast or unplug it'.

He told them to go gently caress themselves because he didn't notice anything wrong, and they slapped him with a $10k fine

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Jimmy Carter posted:

my fave FCC action from the last few years was some agents tracking down a noise source to a store in a strip mall. A fluorescent ballast made by GE was failing and spewing RF everywhere, and they very nicely told the owner 'either take the free replacement ballast or unplug it'.

He told them to go gently caress themselves because he didn't notice anything wrong, and they slapped him with a $10k fine

good

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sending out an epirb signal doesn't sound like a very smart thing for my tv to do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

flakeloaf posted:

sending out an epirb signal doesn't sound like a very smart thing for my tv to do

i've been reading up on PLB's (same system) and you do need to be very very careful about it

they use them pretty frequently here for backcountry Rocky Mountain poo poo

(PLB's are registered to a person. EPIRBs are registered to a vessel)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

oh even better, you mean that guy's tv also said he was a boat?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43211-2004Oct18.html

i mean, if you ran aground and kept going for 50 miles, yeah odds are good you're in some kind of distress

e: oh apparently it was a civilian aircraft signal

• Locked thread