Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I received a Samsung HTX250 digital home cinema system for my birthday and have been trying to hook it up. Right now I have it connected to my motherboard via an SPDIF cable, but I can only get the 5.1 surround sound to work using VLC - no games or any other software.

In addition to the speakers not playing in surround sound, they also start to go staticy every 30-60 minutes and the only solution I've found is to keep switching between 24bit, 48000hz and 16bit 48000hz in my realtek audio manager. I've checked all the cables to see if theyre loose or faulty but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Please assist, as I would really love having proper surround sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS.

Also, make sure you're using the latest audio/video/chipset drivers.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Zogo posted:

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS.

Also, make sure you're using the latest audio/video/chipset drivers.

Thanks for the reply, I've been trying to figure out how to update my BIOS but so far no success. I put the ROM file from Asus' website on a USB drive but I haven't been able to successfully launch from it, but I can see my BIOS hasn't been updated since 2011 when I got the motherboard so maybe this is the issue.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What's the motherboard (you should post your specs using the template). There may be more than one way to update it.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
my bad, here's the template filled out
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64bit

System specs:
CPU: Intel i7-2600K CPU
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Geforce GTX 970'
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V
Audio system: Samsung HT-X250 5.1 home theater system
Audio connection: SPDIF cable to Realtek Digital Output(Optical) port on MOBO

Trier fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 9, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Trier posted:

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V

Oh that's an older one. Being on W10 might be making the BIOS update more difficult.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if using W10 on that motherboard could cause some odd audio driver problems like you're experiencing. When the age of the OS gets too far away from the age of the motherboard/other hardware things like this sometimes happen.

Another less like possibility (since you said VLC works okay) is that the motherboard/PSU is failing. What is the PSU and how old is it? If all the hardware is ~8-9 years old something could be failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Zogo posted:

Oh that's an older one. Being on W10 might be making the BIOS update more difficult.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if using W10 on that motherboard could cause some odd audio driver problems like you're experiencing. When the age of the OS gets too far away from the age of the motherboard/other hardware things like this sometimes happen.

Another less like possibility (since you said VLC works okay) is that the motherboard/PSU is failing. What is the PSU and how old is it? If all the hardware is ~8-9 years old something could be failing.

Would make sense about the W10 thing, as far as I could see on ASUS' webzone there weren't no W10 updates, just 7 and 8. The PSU is just as old as the mobo, but I don't think it's anything failing cause it works flawlessly with my lovely logitech speakers.

• Locked thread