Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

painedforever posted:

But... diacorn isn't using the best car in every tier, is he? He's playing on Extreme, he isn't using any exploits, but he's chumping the competition.

You misunderstand me. Not the best car, rather I'm saying as long as you're picking from the current highest available tier (which is dependent on your progress through the run) you can go with basically anything and not struggle against the AI, which still gives you a large selection of cars to choose from. I believe there's about 40-something cars in tier 4 alone if you have everything unlocked (though all cars aren't available in the single player, unfortunately), from various manufacturers and vehicle categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh page 3, nice!

You're right, I did misunderstand.

Actually, I still don't entirely understand how this works. What's the tier system in this game, and how are the cars delineated?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

painedforever posted:

Oh page 3, nice!

You're right, I did misunderstand.

Actually, I still don't entirely understand how this works. What's the tier system in this game, and how are the cars delineated?

All cars in The Run's roster are grouped from tier 1-6. For the most part this pertains to performance, with the highest rated HP cars ranked at tier 6, though there are some outliers in lower tiers. Cars in their stock form are generally ranked at low-to-mid tier, while "signature" versions (NFS Editions/cars named after NFS characters like the Cross edition C6 Corvette Z06/sponsor editions like K&N) are usually at the upper end of the spectrum. Cars at higher tiers also tend to lean towards more difficult handling, with cars at the lower tiers being easier to corner.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Right.

D'you reckon it'd be cheeky to ask the OP to provide a list and/or analysis of the cars in each tier? Not at once, of course, sorta break it down across a series of posts.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Current Location: Cleveland, OH

Unfortunately, what happens in Chicago doesn't stay in Chicago. We've escaped the train tracks and picked up a new car, but trouble follows Jack on his way to the east coast.

We're in the Audi R8 now, but there aren't very many corners for it to eat up. Stage 8 is where we can make up a lot of that average speed we've been scrubbing off since we left Altamont Pass in California. Fortunately, the R8 has a top speed of 195 MPH, which puts it just a little lower than the Gallardo. Unlike the Gallardo, the R8 is properly AWD, which means it'll try to keep us stable at high speed and doesn't lend itself to sudden cornering hi-jinks. Sadly, it's a lot heavier than the Gallardo, so it doesn't have a lot of get-up-and-go past the 60 MPH mark, where we need to worry about how we distribute power from the drive wheels to the ground.

We've got a couple new tracks to keep us company on the way to New York. "Beat the Devil's Tattoo", by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, accompanies us on Lakeshore Drive. BRMC is one of the forerunners of the modern blues-rock scene, and their sound is normally somewhat psychedelic, with lots of feedback-heavy guitar work (though usually more polished than a band like The Dead Weather). This song starts off stripped down and builds gradually as they get into the second verse; it's a great solo guitar song when you don't feel like Wonderwall, but I don't know why it's on this stage in particular. BRMC is also an EA favorite, and "Conscience Killer", also from this album, shows up on the soundtrack of Hot Pursuit.

When we get to Toledo, we get "Big Red Rocket of Love", by The Reverend Horton Heat. The implications afforded by the title are entirely intentional, and that irreverence shows up in a lot of their lyrics (or, at least, the songs that have lyrics). RHH are big in the psychobilly scene, which takes that classic early-rock sound but plays it a lot faster. Jim Heath is a monster guitar player, as anyone who played "Psychobilly Freakout" in Guitar Hero 2 can probably attest, and this song has an amazing solo that kicks in after the second chorus. If you're driving reasonably fast, the solo really starts gaining momentum about the time the Porsches catch up with you, and I think Black Box wanted the frantic intensity of the solo to highlight the perilous last mile to the finish.
  • I honestly have no idea what roadblock was dodged in the first straightaway in Downtown. I think the marker for it was just moved from where the cop hangs out and they forgot to update it.
  • The first major corner on Lakeshore Drive, after the interchange, is difficult to get right at very high speed. I expected the Audi to correct out, but overestimated how much the bank was helping me and scraped the wall.
  • The dark green Mazda RX-7 we pass on Interstate 75 is an exact copy of one of the cars that appeared in the E3 trailer for NFS ProStreet. It's also in the intro movie.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 19, 2018

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Holy smokes. If the mob has multiple drivers good enough to easily hang with an Audi R8 V10 in Porsche Cayennes, all while providing a stable firing platform and staying focused despite what must've been an incredible racket, you'd think that they could just enter the race normally and win it every time. Between that and the random helicopter gunship, my suspension of disbelief is getting beaten down pretty hard.

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
My game effectively ended at the Battle to Cleveland race, and after seeing the bullshit in the final race of stage 8, I think I can live with that. Now I can just vicariously experience the rest of the game without the stress of being shot at by everything!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

You know I'm sure that they put in that mob attack sequence to drive up the hype but all it made me think was "I could be watching/playing Split/Second right now instead..."

It just had better explosions, I dunno what else to say.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Anybody familiar with the development history? Did EA decide to remake Split/Second, only with NFS?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
If there's one thing german engineering is good for, it's making everything unnecessarily complicated. Just ask anyone who has had the displeasure of actually having to work on an Audi.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

painedforever posted:

Anybody familiar with the development history? Did EA decide to remake Split/Second, only with NFS?

I don't think EA needs another game to inspire it to put context-less helicopter boss fights in video games.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been a little absent from thread discussion lately.

painedforever posted:

How does this game categorize tuner cars? I'm assuming they're tuner cars, by the way, y'know, the older-looking cars like the old Datsun (or Nissan, whatever) and the older Audi that was available at the end of the last video. I mean, yeah, technically that Audi isn't a tuner, it's a rally car, but I'm hoping you know what I'm talking about.
Good question. In The Run, tuner cars are part of a wider category called Sports cars, which not only includes small-displacement Japanese cars but also nimble Euro cars, hatchbacks, and so forth. Basically anything that isn't clearly a Muscle car, Exotic, or Supercar is probably a Sports car.

Sports cars have the tightest handling of any category of car and can grip the road very well, which means they respond well to sudden direction changes. This in turn means they're often competitive with Exotics and Supercars on roads with lots of blind corners or lots of traffic (such as in Badlands National Park in Stage 6).

I generally consider Muscle cars to be the least competitive of the categories overall, but this might just be down to my driving style. I tend to take risks and be aggressive, but I also do my best to observe a good racing line and consistently feel most rewarded driving the Exotics and Supercars in the game.

painedforever posted:

But... diacorn isn't using the best car in every tier, is he? He's playing on Extreme, he isn't using any exploits, but he's chumping the competition.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

To be fair, we don't see how many times he plays each stage before he chumps the competition. I did notice the XP bar jumping around a fair bit, so I'm sure it takes him a least a few tries to get it right. Not to diminish the fact that he is chumping the competition, just that video editing is a thing, so it's probably not quite as easy as he's making it look.
I'd like to touch on this. I have a lot to say about the editing and recording process of the game, but I generally don't bring this up in commentary unless it's funny or really stupid.

I don't generally use what I consider to be the best vehicle for the job when recording, because as I said in the OP, I'm making an effort to show off a bunch of cars and use some ones I'm either not good with or have never driven. The only cars I'd say are genuinely "high-tier", of the vehicles we've used so far, are the Gallardo and the 911 GT3.

Recording The Run can occasionally present a challenge, between the LP Curse and the unstable PC port of the game. I'm usually able to record a winning run on Extreme without major issue, barring a few difficulty spikes that I generally try to point out on camera (such as the Stage 6 Make Up Time run). It can also be harder to get a winning run if I deliberately introduce challenge to keep things fresh (such as leaving the "immersion" effects in Stage 5 by disabling V-Sync). However, I also scrap recordings that I feel aren't interesting enough to warrant putting in the videos, even if I'm able to win easily or post a very good time.

The Run lets you restart events easily and doesn't save your progression unless you complete an event (i.e. make it to the end-of-race XP tally). The editing goofs where you see the XP bar jump around usually arises when there's an issue preventing me from using my original winning run. A good example of this is in Stage 2, where I did El Portal Rd, El Capitan, and Tioga Pass Rd in one go, then discovered that my scratch drive had no space left and that the raw MP4 recording wasn't usable. Since The Run does not allow you to play individual events, only Stages, I have to go back and start the Stage over, cutting out the second passes through the events I already had working footage of. This discrepancy causes the XP bar to look like it's goofed up.

painedforever posted:

I looked up NFS Prostreet, but I'm not convinced if I want it (sorry diacorn!).
If that's your jam, might I recommend Undercover? I'm not a fan of the story or the core driving physics and the game's pretty clearly rushed, but the core driving mechanics are there, and no one in the game is likable. It's way more arcadey than The Run is as well, and can leverage a couple of the incremental improvements that were made to the MW2005 era of games.

painedforever posted:

D'you reckon it'd be cheeky to ask the OP to provide a list and/or analysis of the cars in each tier? Not at once, of course, sorta break it down across a series of posts.
I'd love to do this, but I don't know how valuable my opinion is. There are lots of cars in the game, and I haven't driven all of them, but I'd be open to jotting down my thoughts on the cars we've worked with if that's something you feel would be worth reading.

Pine Bamboo Plum posted:

My game effectively ended at the Battle to Cleveland race, and after seeing the bullshit in the final race of stage 8, I think I can live with that. Now I can just vicariously experience the rest of the game without the stress of being shot at by everything!
Fortunately Mob affiliates are the only people in The Run who shoot at us, but I'm sure Jack's had enough rounds to last a lifetime.

It sure is cool how the police don't actually do anything to prevent the Mob from firing on civilian traffic, though to Chicago's credit, one of the police at least radioed it in.

Dr. Snark posted:

You know I'm sure that they put in that mob attack sequence to drive up the hype but all it made me think was "I could be watching/playing Split/Second right now instead..."

It just had better explosions, I dunno what else to say.
Got you covered.

painedforever posted:

Actually they're two completely different companies. S/S was published by Disney Interactive a year before NFS came out, but since Black Rock Studio folded after S/S, maybe some of the engineers might have gone to EA.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

diacorn posted:

I'd love to do this, but I don't know how valuable my opinion is. There are lots of cars in the game, and I haven't driven all of them, but I'd be open to jotting down my thoughts on the cars we've worked with if that's something you feel would be worth reading.

a) It's your LP, dude. Your opinion is all, because you're the one taking us through it. And y'know, everyone else can chime in and call you a Nazi (or Hellghan) for not liking a particular car because you're "not using it right".

b) You don't have to analyse every car, but yeah, I for one would love to hear what you have to say about any particular car. You've spoken about the handling differences between the Mustang and the Porsche and the Trans Am and the Lamborghini, but there are lots of other cars that you haven't been able to show in the LP (because they're too good or too boring or too terrible).

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The only racing game I ever really enjoyed was the Midnight Club Dub Edition Remix on my ps2, the upgrading and customization system was really satisfying. From what I've seen in this so far is the only performance upgrade there are is just getting better cars.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Current Location: Big Run State Park, MD

We've earned a well-deserved break from the Mob, who are probably still repairing that chopper we broke in Cleveland. With minimal distractions ahead of us, we can flex the muscles of our Pagani Huayra. It's very fast, and surprisingly tame for a car that can do a standing 227 MPH. It's sort of like a faster Gallardo, only with less weight: it's stable and planted at speed, and it doesn't really even break loose in sharp corners in the lower gears, which makes it a great choice for the winding roads of Deer Park and (to a lesser degree) Sawmill Drive. Its weak nitrous and weird seven-speed transmission aren't enough to dissuade someone who can leverage its amazing handling, and I'd venture to say it's probably the best overall car in Tier 5.

It is very loud, but we can still enjoy our new tunes. Another Dan Auerbach classic, "Lonely Boy" by The Black Keys, accompanies us on the Expressway through Pennsylvania. You'll probably pick out similarities to Auerbach's solo track from San Francisco: garage-rock fuzz, a solid bluesy guitar riff, and an easy melody once the main bit comes in. This song also features a nice overdubbed harmony in the refrain. I don't know quite what they're going for putting it in this stage, but it's a great song regardless. Also, the music video's just a dude dancing for three minutes, which I don't quite get.

We meet an old friend as well, whom we race to Lykke Li's "Get Some". It's a cool song with a chill melody backed by hard-hitting low drums. According to Lykke Li, this song isn't literally about "getting some", so much as it's about being in control. It's not a bad choice in the context of the intense drive that is Deer Park, but I think it's more a statement on the character of Mila, who's probably rebelling and getting into trouble by entering The Run.
  • The blacked-out Camaro will usually wreck in the first turn into the cornfield in Expressway in a spectacular fashion, but this was one of the better ones.
  • You can get through pretty much all of Interstate 68 without touching the brakes, with the exception of maybe the trussed bridge. If you go this route, get off the gas very early and make sure to use the full width of the road.
  • In a practice run of Interstate 68 that got cut in favor of showing off the autopilot goof, I jumped the runout on the long straight after the bridge to avoid the police. You can drive on the other side of the road and can use that side's freeway ramp to rejoin the race, but I don't recommend it. The blind hills mean you have no time to react to oncoming traffic. I also don't think you're supposed to be over there, because you get no Oncoming bonus.
  • Your biggest enemy in Deer Park is your own nerves. This is one of the hardest races in the game, so don't get discouraged by the technical requirements of driving. It just takes practice to get consistent.
  • I did actually freeze-frame in editing to see what the police unit's livery says. It says "HIGH SPEED", for those of you wondering.
  • The police add a GT-R into the chase in Sawmill Drive after the second checkpoint, but again, if you drive fast enough, they won't even bother you.
  • If you're trying for a record in Sawmill Drive, you can also ride the gutters a little bit on many of the corners to get the car to turn faster. You can see me do this at 11:36. Be careful not to get too close to the wooden beams, though: like the yellow painted rails in the Rockies, these can be broken.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 26, 2018

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

painedforever posted:

b) You don't have to analyse every car, but yeah, I for one would love to hear what you have to say about any particular car. You've spoken about the handling differences between the Mustang and the Porsche and the Trans Am and the Lamborghini, but there are lots of other cars that you haven't been able to show in the LP (because they're too good or too boring or too terrible).
I'll start compiling my impressions of the vehicles I've driven. Unfortunately, a lot of that content is now permanently off limits to me because of the way it's integrated into the Multiplayer, but I'll do what I can.

Rabidredneck posted:

The only racing game I ever really enjoyed was the Midnight Club Dub Edition Remix on my ps2, the upgrading and customization system was really satisfying. From what I've seen in this so far is the only performance upgrade there are is just getting better cars.
I love that game!

You're pretty much on the money. I touched on this here, but there's no such performance customization in the game. Visually, everything's limited to Kits, which are vehicle-specific and (IMO) usually sort of silly-looking. The customization market was tackled by EA that year in Shift 2: Unleashed and Need for Speed: World as part of their three-games-a-year marketing initiative, which didn't last.

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
I get the feeling, with all the places we're racing through, sometimes the cell signal or whatever that tablet is connected to cuts out or has a delay, and so our place is not always updated in real time? Never mind that Jack is unlucky enough to keep running into QTEs and isn't always strictly racing while he has to go steal a car or get threatened by dogs or whatever, so it's not too improbable that another racer from before could sneak in front of him. That's probably more thinking than I should expend on this game's plot, but I'll throw the game a bone since I really do like the environments even if they do reverse some of the tracks and mark them as being in another state.

And hey, it was all just racing for this stage. I'd wonder if that will hold for the last stage, but I guess not since there's always the NY mob.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Hey everyone!

I've been working on the video for Stage 10, but it's not likely to be finished by the usual Wednesday. I'm aiming to have it out by Friday at the latest.

Hope everyone's been enjoying the LP thus far! I'm planning something special for the Challenge Series. :)

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
diacorn please wiggle around in the Tier 5 VW Golf.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

tomanton posted:

Yes, please crush the opposition some more with superior teutonian engineering.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Current Location: New York City, NY

tomanton posted:

[wiggling intensifies]

Let's wiggle our way to victory in a first-generation VW Golf, also known in the U.S. as the VW Rabbit. This is a great little hatchback (emphasis on "little"), and an unassuming predator with almost 700 horsepower under the hood. It's very fast in a straight line and is one of the fastest T5 vehicles, behind the Huayra and the "Conroy" Ford GT, and has an excellent nitrous system. Like most of the Sports cars in the game, the Golf's handling lends itself a lot better to quick turns than to shallow sweepers, where its FWD layout will cause it to understeer straight into a wall. Fortunately it is otherwise easy to drive.

A couple new songs close out The Run for us. "La Calle" by Ritmo Machine accompanies us when we race Cesar. Ritmo Machine is an urban music project featuring the percussionist from Cypress Hill and various featured artists. The old-school beat gives way halfway through to the croons of Ana Tijoux. I think this song is a little on-the-nose, given Cesar was specifically stated in the fluff to have done some bad things on the streets, and to have been redeemed with the affections of a woman.

Donovan is a surprise feature in the credits with "Riki Tiki Tavi". A 1970 jangly-guitar ditty probably isn't what I'd have chosen for the credits, but I wish we could have gotten more chilled-out not-quite-blues on the soundtrack like this.. The lyrics are apt, describing a cunning mongoose who's outwitted and outstripped his pursuers. It's weird, because there are clearly police after his Mustang in the stinger.
  • The spot where we end our duel against Eddie is the spot where we started our duel with Mila in Deer Park. This road is the road to the left at the very start of the event that's closed off.
  • In Union, the 918 comes very close to overtaking us. I'm pretty slow through the junkyard section overall, but the real killer for me was that I misjudged how the car would behave going over the bumps into the hard left hairpin. The proper way to take this turn is to ease off the gas earlier and take a late-apex line, thus setting you up better for the turn up the hill and out of the lot.
  • The cops in Newark Bay can make or break your run, and become a lot less threatening once you've passed the gas station and exited the alley with the loading dock. It's like Black Box just forgot to put more cops after the roadblock until you hit the freight yard.
  • I actually hadn't ever noticed the Statue of Liberty from the boardwalk in New Jersey until ModeWondershot pointed it out on camera. This is a great example of Black Box's art direction.
  • Several solid routes exist through the park, the majority of which are counted as shortcuts. The route demonstrated in the video was chosen to maximize the amount of speed we take into the sweeper after the bridge.
  • When we do the train run, the banked tunnel has an invisible wall. I pass it at about 19:55, so it's actually pretty far into the curve.
  • Nothing special happens if you don't beat Marcus to the finish line. You just get a generic blue "Too Slow" screen and start back where the drag race begins.
  • Vocal isolation is hard. :(

diacorn fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 5, 2018

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Nice work, you definitely made The Run fun to watch. I have to laugh at the idea of a 700HP front wheel drive on what look like 13-inch rims taking any corners at all though.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Nicely done, diacorn.

That last section couldd be something straight out of the GTA universe.

I have to admit i kind of want a toy model of the Pagani Huayra. Most modern exotics always look kind of boring and round with their aerodynamics, but this is such a nice looking italian sports car.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 5, 2018

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
That last section :psyduck:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Did nothing in the last race matter because a cutscene set everything up for the last straight?!?!?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I appreciate this LP and the train part was pretty funny.

While Dragonforce was entire appropriate for the last racing Space Jam, I was hoping Marcus would have one too so this could be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8ZqVGzDXQ

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For all the effort they put into making this the "story" Need for Speed they sure didn't put that much effort into it. Looking at it now it seems like a flimsy excuse to put out a game with bite-size races combined with a scoreboard. Was there a popular game that was all about challenging your online friends at things around the same time?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

For all the effort they put into making this the "story" Need for Speed they sure didn't put that much effort into it. Looking at it now it seems like a flimsy excuse to put out a game with bite-size races combined with a scoreboard. Was there a popular game that was all about challenging your online friends at things around the same time?

It was surprising how little they did with it, yeah. I was expecting more QTEs, but the plot just kind of... gives up as it goes. Not that they'd make the game better, but it just seems to forget it was doing anything with them in the first place.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Finally had a chance to catch up and watch the end of the LP; two things really stood out in those last couple of episodes as we delved further down this rabbit hole.

The first one being that in Episode 9 at the ~1:50 mark we race out of a covered bridge and right next to us is an airborne white van along side us:

Guess this one came with the big-block engine upgrade. Or that the gravity on NFS Earth is lower.

And in Episode 10 as we're racing around the subway tunnels we're going over 130 mp/h and a train was still catching up to us. Whole new meaning to 'a New York minute'.

But thanks for playing through this - I haven't played a Need For Speed game in years, not since the Hot Pursuit reboot that came out in 2012. It wasn't the greatest but at least it was a step up from the ricer fan fest the series had dived into in the early 2000's when people started latching on to the Fast and the Furious.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Glad everyone enjoyed the last episode!

We're taking a short break, but ModeWondershot and I will be starting into the Challenge Series in a couple weeks.

OutofSight posted:

I have to admit i kind of want a toy model of the Pagani Huayra. Most modern exotics always look kind of boring and round with their aerodynamics, but this is such a nice looking italian sports car.
Got you covered.

berryjon posted:

Did nothing in the last race matter because a cutscene set everything up for the last straight?!?!?
Pretty much, though obviously you have to survive the bridge and the subway before you get a shot at the drag race.

bewilderment posted:

While Dragonforce was entire appropriate for the last racing Space Jam, I was hoping Marcus would have one too so this could be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8ZqVGzDXQ
That one is actually one of my personal favorites. I thought to use it, but I don't really have a handle on how many people would have both played Persona 3 and would have recognized the song. Admittedly, fewer still would be likely to recognize the Fist of the North Star OVA theme, but that one was for ModeWondershot, good sport that he's been. For me, a big part of slam jams is how effectively they ruin songs I already know and like.

Kibayasu posted:

Asynchronous competition became a thing for NFS when the Autolog (TM) system premiered in 2010 with Hot Pursuit, and it's been through several iterations since then. As far as racing games specifically go, I'd say TrackMania has had the edge on async play since about 1997.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The first one being that in Episode 9 at the ~1:50 mark we race out of a covered bridge and right next to us is an airborne white van along side us:
[snip]
But thanks for playing through this - I haven't played a Need For Speed game in years, not since the Hot Pursuit reboot that came out in 2012. It wasn't the greatest but at least it was a step up from the ricer fan fest the series had dived into in the early 2000's when people started latching on to the Fast and the Furious.
Wow, good catch. I completely missed that van in editing.

For what it's worth, I have some appreciation for the early NFSU games for doing what they did. They were hardly groundbreaking from a subject matter perspective (since the F&F craze kind of followed the racing genre through about 2008), but both games really nailed their respective gameplay and driving models. NFSU was ridiculously fast (about one notch below something like Wipeout at maximum stats), and I haven't seen anything to date come close to matching the depth of NFSU2's car customization system.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
This game seems really bad but that 15 second section in the subway tunnels on the banks might have actually saved the game.

Loved the LP diacorn and can't wait for your next one.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Christ, was that it? I mean, I'm assuming there's multiplayer and challenges, but is that all there is for the single player? How much was this game worth when it came out anyway, because there's no way there's more than $2 worth of content. $1.99 maybe (and I'd still wait for a sale), and that's only if there's a decent multiplayer.

If this is what EA's been doing to Need for Speed, I'm surprised anyone had any expectations from the current game.

I hate to be the one to say it, but the movie was better than this.

Damned nice playing Diacorn, damned nice. Getting the win with a Gen 1 VW Golf was just... I mean... it was so appropriate! That story took itself way too seriously.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Reach for the sky, diacorn.:shepspends:

You can get a real car for that price tag. Or 2-3 of those old Golf GTIs from the final video.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OutofSight posted:

Reach for the sky, diacorn.:shepspends:

You can get a real car for that price tag. Or 2-3 of those old Golf GTIs from the final video.

That thing better have a measurable top speed for that kind of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

painedforever posted:

Christ, was that it? I mean, I'm assuming there's multiplayer and challenges, but is that all there is for the single player? How much was this game worth when it came out anyway, because there's no way there's more than $2 worth of content. $1.99 maybe (and I'd still wait for a sale), and that's only if there's a decent multiplayer.

Same here- I admit, I was comparing this to Split Second throughout, and I have to say that the comparison isn't favourable in the least. It was just so pedestrian, pardon the joke.

• Locked thread