Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I recommend alternating between two types of cooking:

1. Following recipes. Find a recipe that sounds interesting to you and follow it to the letter. Read the recipe front to back before you even open the pantry. Get all the ingredients out, get your mise en place on. Cooking this way teaches you organization while cooking, gives you fully-realized dishes (if the recipe is good), and will help you learn a few things by experience.

2. Winging it. It's not that scary! Just start out simple. Choose a carb, a veggie, and a source of protein. It can be as easy as baking a potato, throwing together a spinach salad, and cooking a couple of sausages. You can replace the potato with a bowl of rice, the spinach with some kimchi, and the sausage with fish. Or go for a bowl of pasta (add a bit of butter or olive oil and some cheese), sautee some broccoli, and cook a porkchop that you let marinate for an hour in Italian dressing. Once you get this combination down of cooking a carb, a veggie, and a source of protein, you can basically mix and match infinitely. Maybe instead of making 3 separate items you make a stirfry that combines all 3. The main thing is that it's straightforward, gives you a chance to experiment with flavors in a low-stakes way, and can be done for literally all 3 meals in your day without taking much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I learned to cook using Blue Apron, honestly. Even if you have no idea what you're doing, the recipes are direct enough that if you do screw up you'll know why almost immediately and you'll remember "ok so whenever I do greens/kale don't do that" or "I should cook fish at a lower/higher temperature than what I did because it wasn't as good as some I've had". I have almost no short term memory at all and even I now can go ahead and make a nice ~something~ as long as it isn't a dessert. It also helps you interpret more complicated recipes since you develop a usable knowledge of how to handle certain ingredients.

Sometimes I like to watch the youtube cooks to see what I can learn. Gordon Ramsey (on non American television) was surprisingly informative, even on simple subjects like scrambled eggs. Grandpa Kitchen is a new favorite too. Old Indian grandpa cooks large batches of things to feed an orphanage every day, and you get to watch his entire painstaking process.

Screwing up is probably the best way to learn though. I've screwed up chopping garlic, over-cooking my seasonings, burning and undercooking every kind of meat, burning my cooking oil, using the wrong oils, etc. My most recent mistake was guessing badly at a three person portion of Chicken 65 from Grandpa Kitchen. It's my favorite appetizer at my local Indian restaurant and had to try it, but I overestimated how many eggs I would need for the batter so it ended up mushy instead of thin and crispy. Now I have a better grasp on what to do with eggs when making a fry batter.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I learned to cook using Blue Apron, honestly. Even if you have no idea what you're doing, the recipes are direct enough that if you do screw up you'll know why almost immediately and you'll remember "ok so whenever I do greens/kale don't do that" or "I should cook fish at a lower/higher temperature than what I did because it wasn't as good as some I've had". I have almost no short term memory at all and even I now can go ahead and make a nice ~something~ as long as it isn't a dessert. It also helps you interpret more complicated recipes since you develop a usable knowledge of how to handle certain ingredients.

Sometimes I like to watch the youtube cooks to see what I can learn. Gordon Ramsey (on non American television) was surprisingly informative, even on simple subjects like scrambled eggs. Grandpa Kitchen is a new favorite too. Old Indian grandpa cooks large batches of things to feed an orphanage every day, and you get to watch his entire painstaking process.

Screwing up is probably the best way to learn though. I've screwed up chopping garlic, over-cooking my seasonings, burning and undercooking every kind of meat, burning my cooking oil, using the wrong oils, etc. My most recent mistake was guessing badly at a three person portion of Chicken 65 from Grandpa Kitchen. It's my favorite appetizer at my local Indian restaurant and had to try it, but I overestimated how many eggs I would need for the batter so it ended up mushy instead of thin and crispy. Now I have a better grasp on what to do with eggs when making a fry batter.

Also, mistakes can sometimes turn out really well! I remember one time I was making some kind of crispy chicken stirfry, and the procedure was to coat the chicken pieces in egg, and then dredge them in corn starch. I put them in corn starch before egg. Then, I put them in the egg, and then back into the cornstarch. The result was way loving better and crispier than doing it "properly"!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That does sound good. GK's chicken 65 does something like that but with multiple different kinds of flour. I'm not really sure what the difference is but I'm willing to try it now that I've found a place where I can just buy them. Turns out the indian place has a mini-grocery with all the masala and rice flour I need anyway!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pretty much the only two cookbooks I use anymore are The Food Lab and America's Test Kitchen. If I were starting out I'd get those, read all the non-recipe parts, and then dive in.

Some of the recipes are pretty insane in terms of prep though, but I'm also an insanely slow cook. I think it took me 3.5 hours to make ATK's shrimp pad thai.

My wife uses those and also Smitten Kitchen a lot.

My tips, some of which are born out of the stupid poo poo I did when I was learning how to cook:

1. Don't be afraid of high heat. If you're sauteing onions on medium or even medium high you're probably closer to steaming them in their own juice than anything. I think I learned this bad habit from my parents but I spent years doing that until I realized you're really supposed to put it on the Super Boil gas burner cranked to max and just stir it more frequently.

2. Get a whisk. If you're trying to thicken up a sauce or something with some extra flour a spoon just doesn't really work. Along those lines, if you're stirring a big rear end pot of something make sure you're scraping the bottom while you're doing it, or poo poo will settle.

3. Don't buy non EZ Peel shrimp, it isn't loving worth it no matter how cheap they are. Also never buy pre cooked shrimp they're goddamn garbage.

4. Most recipes would probably be better with chicken thighs than chicken breasts and they're cheaper and easier to cook consistently (more uniform thickness).

My favorite recipe type advice:

1. Braised short ribs are goddamn amazing and nearly impossible to gently caress up. Don't trust any recipe that doesn't have at least 1/2 a bottle of red wine in it. Make mashed potatoes as a side.

2. It might be a result of the time/place I grew up, but everyone had a red pasta sauce recipe they made but no one ever made a white sauce, despite alfredo being dead simple (like 4 ingredients not counting salt/pepper) and really drat good. A basic alfredo is also a great place to start throwing all kinds of poo poo in there to make something you like. I have a recipe that Ive been making more or less the same for 10 years that's a brie/gorgonzola/spinach/seafood pasta that started out 15 years ago as a basic alfredo and just adding whatever to it.

3. Reverse searing a really thick steak is an awesome way to make a steak, doesn't require a grill (though it's a great way to grill it also), and if you've got a temp probe is basically impossible to gently caress up. It's going to keep rising in temp after you pull it from the oven though, so you're going to want to pull it at least 5 degrees early. Then let it rest for 15 minutes or so before you sear it, so the searing doesn't really cook it further. I like getting a ~2.5" thick ribeye from the butcher, baking at 275, pulling it ~10 degrees early, then letting it rest for 20-30 minutes before searing. Sear it on the side too, not just the top and bottom. And the pan really needs to be cast iron and hotter than the surface of the sun.

4. The ATK pad thai recipe is the best pad thai I've ever had in my life. I can't order it at thai restaurants anymore because it's never as good.

5. This is an awesome chicken tikka masala recipe but we use garam masala instead of cinnamon and about half as much salt cause it's salty as gently caress (and I love salt).
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/4...Id=cardslot%201

6. I love "fancy" mac and cheese dishes but from my experience you can't really get it right just throwing whatever cheese you want into a roux with some cream. You might get something that tastes great but getting that super creamy texture is unlikely to happen using just cheddar or something. I think ATK has a recipe along these lines.

7. The Food Lab's fried chicken recipe is the love and the light. Follow it precisely. If my dad had made this when I was a kid instead of whatever crappy recipe he learned from his grandma I wouldn't have beat him to death with a shovel when I was 14.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm gonna guess "no", since he's got a more recent A/T thread about the best way to keep his gf's favorite foods from a restaurant take-out warm in a 30 minute car ride. Plenty of goons suggesting "learn to make it yourself?" with no response.

Eh, the advice here might help someone else out, though.

Haha fantastic.

Oh another good tip re: winging recipes. A good book to get is The Flavour Thesaurus: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flavour-Thesaurus-Niki-Segnit/dp/0747599777/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524814987&sr=8-1&keywords=the+flavour+thesaurus

It's basically just a list of what ingredients go well with what other ingredients and it's fairly comprehensive. It's really useful if you've got a meat or a vegetable and you don't know what goes with it, whether it's other veg or herbs and spices etc. then it'll give you tips. Alternatively just googling ""What herbs go with [x]" works most of the time. Or if you have two ingredients you want to use together you can just google for e.g. "kale and lemon recipe" and if you turn up recipes using those two things, a) it tells you they work and b) you can look at what other ingredients go with them.

Whenever I have an idea like this it's often the case that the recipes you find have other ingredients in them that you don't have, so I usually look at a few different recipes and come up with some sort of compromise because it's often the case that, once you know what you're doing a little bit, you can get enough of an idea of what you should be doing from different recipes that you can cobble something tasty together. Like you might end up using the sauce instructions from one recipe, but the other recipe says to add toasted pine nuts so you add those in too. Or you have two recipes with similar ingredients but recipe "A" says you want carrots and zucchini and recipe "B" says you want peppers and tomato but you only have peppers and carrots so you use those. That kind of thing.

After a while you will just get a sense of what goes with what, but checking always helps. My wife likes to tell the story of the time before we met that she made sweet potato pasta with dill because they had dill left after making salmon, and it was the worst thing she's ever made and it's put her off dill to this day. Those two flavours do not go together. If she'd checked the flavour thesaurus or recipes online she probably wouldn't have tried it.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 27, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PT6A posted:

Also, mistakes can sometimes turn out really well! I remember one time I was making some kind of crispy chicken stirfry, and the procedure was to coat the chicken pieces in egg, and then dredge them in corn starch. I put them in corn starch before egg. Then, I put them in the egg, and then back into the cornstarch. The result was way loving better and crispier than doing it "properly"!

This is how a lot of fried chicken in restaurants is done, at least ones I've worked at, except you'd do double egg as well.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is how a lot of fried chicken in restaurants is done, at least ones I've worked at, except you'd do double egg as well.

Yeah, we do dry--->wet--->dry, but buttermilk instead of egg.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Yeah don't be afraid to experiment. That's probably the best way to come up with new recipes and every recipe that exists came about because somebody, somewhere said "hey what if I...?"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think that the food services like Blue Apron and Hello Fresh are probably their core useful purpose, I have done Blue Apron for years now with some breaks and I like their slightly adventurous semi fusion food style. To be clear it doesn't save you money and it certainly doesn't save you time unless you really start practicing with that express purpose, but I now understand all the basic cooking methods.

They put out a book last Oct that I got on a whim and it's actually very good for "ok you don't know anything, here's how we begin"

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Apron-Cookbook-Essential-Lifetime/dp/0062562762/
Book is only $2.99 Kindle but the hard cover is really nice quality. If you're not sure it's a good low cost entry place

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
What's a good cookbook that's easier than that? My husband wants to learn to cook but doesn't really have more than 30 minutes to cook, and a Blue Apron 30 minute recipe looks like an hour to a beginner to me.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

BarbarianElephant posted:

What's a good cookbook that's easier than that? My husband wants to learn to cook but doesn't really have more than 30 minutes to cook, and a Blue Apron 30 minute recipe looks like an hour to a beginner to me.
I think this question gets into a philosophical problem of "what is cooking". For a novice, making a meal from scratch in 30 minutes is just not going to happen. "Cookbooks" like A Man A Can A Plan exist, but I'll leave it up to the reader on whether that constitutes cooking.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/man-a-can-a-plan-david-joachim/1005041678#/

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Easy recipes and fast recipes aren't really the same thing. There's some overlap, but the simplest recipes often involve braising, which is cooking with liquid over low heat for a long time. Soups are also often fairly easy but require more time.

I don't own a ton of cookbooks, but for a beginner I'd probably recommend Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. It's basically a reference book and you can use it to look up a specific ingredient (what the hell do I do with this eggplant that was on sale?) or think of a dish you'd like to try and check out all of the possible variations (you can often change a dish dramatically just by adding or subtracting a couple of common ingredients).

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

DrGonzo90 posted:

I don't own a ton of cookbooks, but for a beginner I'd probably recommend Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. It's basically a reference book and you can use it to look up a specific ingredient (what the hell do I do with this eggplant that was on sale?) or think of a dish you'd like to try and check out all of the possible variations (you can often change a dish dramatically just by adding or subtracting a couple of common ingredients).

Thanks! But this book has a lot of padding on the theme of "What is a chicken?" - I was more thinking of one-page recipes like "Chicken and Vegetable stir fry" - basic home cooking.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

twodot posted:

I think this question gets into a philosophical problem of "what is cooking". For a novice, making a meal from scratch in 30 minutes is just not going to happen. "Cookbooks" like A Man A Can A Plan exist, but I'll leave it up to the reader on whether that constitutes cooking.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/man-a-can-a-plan-david-joachim/1005041678#/

This, unfortunately, is pretty true. There's a certain baseline of knowledge you need for that to be possible - and even then, some things just take longer (for instance, roasting a whole chicken). 30 minute meals from start to finish really require either memorization of recipes, or enough experience to know what you can get away with (i.e. break down a head of cauliflower into florets, toss with olive oil, S+P, curry powder, garam masala and a bit of paprika, roast for 20-25 minutes on a baking sheet until crisp) without having to resort to a recipe.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dunno if it's been mentioned itt yet but cooking any one individual dish isn't that difficult as long as you can follow instructions and set a timer. It only starts to get tricky when you're trying to prepare an entire meal with several separate dishes. Getting the timing down so that everything is ready at the same time takes experience.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks! But this book has a lot of padding on the theme of "What is a chicken?" - I was more thinking of one-page recipes like "Chicken and Vegetable stir fry" - basic home cooking.

I mentioned it earlier itt, but the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (dunno if they've changed the style, but the cover has always been red-and-white gingham check, if it helps you spot it) is imho a great beginner book. No frills, meant for busy moms, nothing too fancy, elaborate, or needing special ingredients. It was my first cookbook back in 1993 when I got my first apartment out of college. That cookbook held my hand for about a year until I was ready for Joy of Cooking and then a 20+ year subscription to Cooks Illustrated and now I cook for a living. I recommend it highly as babby's first cookbook.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

I mentioned it earlier itt, but the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (dunno if they've changed the style, but the cover has always been red-and-white gingham check, if it helps you spot it) is imho a great beginner book. No frills, meant for busy moms, nothing too fancy, elaborate, or needing special ingredients. It was my first cookbook back in 1993 when I got my first apartment out of college. That cookbook held my hand for about a year until I was ready for Joy of Cooking and then a 20+ year subscription to Cooks Illustrated and now I cook for a living. I recommend it highly as babby's first cookbook.

Thanks, still a bit dinner party though. "Brie en croute" will not please our small child. Basically my work schedule has changed and I can no longer do the everyday cooking. So my husband needs to learn to cook.

There's gotta be a simple cookbook out there. I'll browse a real bookstore tomorrow.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The things your child eats are entirely on you

Your child does not care if the food has a snooty frog name

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The things your child eats are entirely on you

Your child does not care if the food has a snooty frog name

She sure does. If I were to cook this I'd call it "Melty cheese pie" or something because kids, man.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

She sure does. If I were to cook this I'd call it "Melty cheese pie" or something because kids, man.

You are entering a world of pain and picky eating if you don't break this habit.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

PT6A posted:

You are entering a world of pain and picky eating if you don't break this habit.

Judgy, aren't you? My kid is the least picky eater I know. But you need to know a bit of kidology.

A little kid is more likely to try "fish on rice" than sushi, because they can contextualize that, they know what it means. "Sushi" could be anything. You can call it sushi later, when they know they like it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
This is strange to me, is your complaint that the book contains recipes titled "brie en croute", or that your kid requires you to make up terms like "melty cheese pie"? If it's the second, I think a thread on "Make kid-friendly American names for French dishes" would be great.
edit:
Expensive puffy cake!
Bread!
Also bread but different!
Warm ice cream with candy on top!

twodot fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 1, 2018

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

twodot posted:

This is strange to me, is your complaint that the book contains recipes titled "brie en croute", or that your kid requires you to make up terms like "melty cheese pie"?

Uh, you are taking this a bit too seriously. Let me spell it out.

If you try and put yourself in the tiny shoes of a child, they don't have the mental associations to know "Fancy French name means good food" - they just hear that you just asked them to eat some "Whugubbleflap" - could be absolutely anything. Could be ice cream, could be medicine. So when you are hyping a kid up to try something new, you help them contextualize this, so their palates are expecting something like what will be arriving. I made crab cakes the other day and my kid was super disappointed to see that they weren't cake as in birthday cake. But I recontextualized it by saying they were like crab burgers, and she was happy to try them and loved them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That’s what confuses me about why you wouldn’t like that cookbook. For a little kid then yeah, give them a name for the dish that’s appealing to them! But I assume you yourself aren’t turned off by the name of a food.

I didn’t mean to attack you so I’m sorry if I sounded overly hostile. I just grew up unhealthy because my parents overly indulged my picky eating, and frankly kids get bombarded with enough “everything is gross except candy and chicken nuggets” crap anyway. I ended up having to teach myself to cook and go on a strict diet around 15, and it sucked. Also I speak french natively so to me a brie en croute is equally as intuitive as, like, a chicken pot pie. Obviously that’s more impenetrable if you aren’t francophone.

I want kids like your daughter to grow up healthier than I did is all :)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks, still a bit dinner party though. "Brie en croute" will not please our small child. Basically my work schedule has changed and I can no longer do the everyday cooking. So my husband needs to learn to cook.

There's gotta be a simple cookbook out there. I'll browse a real bookstore tomorrow.

That's... Not at all what I recall my edition being like. It had stuff like cheesy broccoli casserole, which was basically open a frozen bag of florets, dump in some canned cream of mushroom soup, some mayo, and a cup of shredded cheddar on it, mix, top it with crushed Cheez-it's, and bake for 30 minutes. Or "tangy meatballs", which were just meatballs in a sauce that was canned cranberry jelly, A1, and brown sugar. Totally not dinner party stuff, very much family friendly and comfort food. I think the fanciest thing in there was coquilles St Jacque, and that was probably a very dumbed down version. My 47 year old sister is a picky eater (Chinese take out is exotic to her), and that's her go-to cookbook.

twodot posted:

I think a thread on "Make kid-friendly American names for French dishes" would be great
I'm really struggling for a way to "contextualize" escargot. Garlic gummy worms?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s what confuses me about why you wouldn’t like that cookbook. For a little kid then yeah, give them a name for the dish that’s appealing to them! But I assume you yourself aren’t turned off by the name of a food.

I wanted more half-hour healthy recipes, and less dinner-party food. The situation is that I cook all the food but my work hours are changing, so my husband wants to learn. Therefore we would like a simple, everyday cookbook so that we can continue to eat healthy homecooked food together as a family.

This would be relevant to the OP too, if he still wants to learn to cook.

I have nothing against dinner party food, I do like and cook it, but I don't need a cookbook for it, as I can find recipes easily on the internet. But a reference in paper book form would be handy for a beginner.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn’t mean to attack you so I’m sorry if I sounded overly hostile. I just grew up unhealthy because my parents overly indulged my picky eating, and frankly kids get bombarded with enough “everything is gross except candy and chicken nuggets” crap anyway. I ended up having to teach myself to cook and go on a strict diet around 15, and it sucked. Also I speak french natively so to me a brie en croute is equally as intuitive as, like, a chicken pot pie. Obviously that’s more impenetrable if you aren’t francophone.

I don't indulge picky eating.

Oddly enough, neither did my parents, and I grew up a person who loves all foods, and my brother is still an intensely picky eater. Parenting is a crapshoot, you can do it all right and it doesn't necessarily work out. That's why getting judgy is not necessarily helpful. Thanks for the apology :)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I want kids like your daughter to grow up healthier than I did is all :)

She's not picky though. Rather the opposite, as in stealing my food off my plate. :) Liking food too much could *also* lead to a weight problem, of course. I was a chunky kid, but the good habits instilled in me of eating widely mean I am not an overweight adult, no diets involved.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

I'm really struggling for a way to "contextualize" escargot. Garlic gummy worms?

I'd probably just order them for myself and let her "steal" some.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Judging by your examples, then, it seems like the problem isn't foreign/unusual names, but rather misleading names (like "crab cake" not being a dessert cake). That's a different thing, because it means although you may have to "explain" things, you won't have to deal with a child who won't things like escargot and oysters and all that weird-sounding-but-delicious stuff. Seems like you're doing a good job!

My parents always did the "you're allowed to dislike whatever, but you've got to try everything at least one time." It turns out, all things considered, I liked most things, even things my parents did not -- but they followed their own rule too, so it seemed fair.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

To be fair Brie en croute should be super easy and it's really tasty.

Buy pre-made pastry, wrap it around some cheese, put it in the oven and it's cheese in pastry. Stick some cranberry jelly with it (from a jar) and job done. I'd have thought kids would like it, I loved melted cheese as a kid.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The situation is that I cook all the food but my work hours are changing, so my husband wants to learn. Therefore we would like a simple, everyday cookbook so that we can continue to eat healthy homecooked food together as a family.
Maybe this book?
https://www.amazon.com/Americas-Kit...family+cookbook
It has estimated times for each recipe.

I think it will help, but I think the biggest factor will be your husband coming up to your speed. Rex-Goliath hit it on the head with timing in multi-dish meals. I recommend initially starting with either one meal dishes using prepared ingredients (e.g., spaghetti with jarred sauce and frozen meatballs) or for multi-dish meals, focusing on cooking dish and supplementing with dishes that don't demand a lot of attention. For example, cooking burgers or roasting chicken breast tenders while microwaving frozen vegetables (I like Green Giant's unsauced veggies) and maybe a stovetop (Knorr) pasta or rice dish. Spend time on the one-dish concentration to attain comfort/mastery then when he's comfortable, get the timing aspect down with two at a time and so on.

And as a beginner cook, help him reduce stress he may have of replacing your expertise by accepting the mantra all cooks do which is, "If I can't make this work, I'll order takeout.".

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Cheesus posted:

get the timing aspect down with two at a time and so on.

Honestly a lot of things can be cooked and then e.g. turned right down on the heat and just kept warm til other things are ready, or even left to go a little cold and then have the heat turned up again, or be zapped in the microwave just before serving. I've done this before when I've hosed up timings and it doesn't work out too bad.

Also one of the best things you can do to make the timings easier is "mise en place" which is a restaurant term that just means "mice in the place" "putting in place". Get all your ingredients out on the counter, get them all weighed out, chopped, etc. and read through the recipe and put them in order for when you need them. It can also make it way less intimidating because although a recipe can have 20 ingredients, often several of those will go into the pan at the same time, so the recipe might say "put the carrots, onions, peppers and half a can of tomatoes into the pan"... well you can put all that stuff in the same bowl and then when you get to that point in the recipe, just chuck the whole bowl in. Sometimes you have ingredients that will want to go into the pan at the same time but you don't want them mixed together yet - this might be the case when you have both wet and dry ingredients, but I usually just have them in separate dishes/tubs but grouped together so I know they need to go in together.

Sometimes you get things done faster overall if you don't fully do this, e.g. if stage one of cooking is to do some stuff, then let it simmer for half an hour, then do some other stuff... well you can get started on that first part, and do some more of the chopping/weighing/measuring for the next stage in that simmering half an hour. Even though this is the case, I still sometimes do the prep fully at the start because I know I can relax a bit more when the actual cooking is happening. Another reason it's good is because it'll flag up if you're missing ingredients right at the start.

You might not strictly need to do it if you're making something with like 4 ingredients and 3 steps but it's a great habit to get into at the start.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I would and did eat snails when i was young

I also ate shark, whale (the legal stuff), skate, mealworms, silkworms...

Just find a weird kid or make your kid weirder

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
We went in a curio shop at the weekend and she demanded a lollipop with a scorpion in it. I pointed out the scorpion and it did not put her off, but I'll be damned if I'm paying $4 for a lollipop.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

We went in a curio shop at the weekend and she demanded a lollipop with a scorpion in it. I pointed out the scorpion and it did not put her off, but I'll be damned if I'm paying $4 for a lollipop.

You might be raising the Gordon Ramsay version of the next Dalai Lama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My Wife and I decided to start a Keto diet about 2 weeks ago. I have cooked more meals in 2 weeks than I ever have in my entire life. I haven't eaten fast food in 2 weeks. I really know very little about cooking but I'm following recipes and coming out with some palatable food. The only thing I horribly hosed up was a Shrimp / Brocoli curry because I got the Coconut Flour and Coconut Milk measurements backwards and I put wayyyy too much Coconut Flour (1 cup instead 1 tsp) and it came out more like a pie than a curry :(

• Locked thread