Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for LPing this, Blarghalt. It's been pretty hilarious how incompetent the RDA has been so far and it's a miracle they're even doing half this well.

So as someone who never watched Avatar, what are the humans even doing in this planet anyway? Attempting to colonize it, or trying to find a rare resource? Because it seems like a complete waste of time and money to even do anything in a planet where everything kills you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Isn't it some sort of antigravity metal that's only found on this moon and Earth is 100% dependent on?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

Isn't it some sort of antigravity metal that's only found on this moon and Earth is 100% dependent on?

Yeah, it's a metal that's a superconductor at room temperature, when even now the "high-temperature" superconductors we know of still have to be nearly two hundred degrees below zero to work.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Steam says I played this for 13 hours. I had forgotten all about it, but this LP is bringing some of it back. It was... not very memorable, obviously, but kinda okay? I do remember being weirdly upset at how short the ponytail/brainstem things were in the game compared to movie, considering how important of a biological mcguffin they were. Maybe they hadn't figured out how to make those develop properly when Ryder's avatar was being grown... or they just didn't have time to get the hair physics working properly and cut it. :v:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Blarghalt posted:

Yeah, it's a metal that's a superconductor at room temperature, when even now the "high-temperature" superconductors we know of still have to be nearly two hundred degrees below zero to work.

Also it's called unobtaimum. Really.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Egadsman posted:

Steam says I played this for 13 hours. I had forgotten all about it, but this LP is bringing some of it back. It was... not very memorable, obviously, but kinda okay? I do remember being weirdly upset at how short the ponytail/brainstem things were in the game compared to movie, considering how important of a biological mcguffin they were. Maybe they hadn't figured out how to make those develop properly when Ryder's avatar was being grown... or they just didn't have time to get the hair physics working properly and cut it. :v:

From my understanding, the latter reason is the reason for the ponytails not being like the movie. Too much work to animate.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Played the first hour or so of this one and the pistols were my favorite weapon because of the reload animation.
Your image commentary is as hilarious as your videos are appropriately devoid.
Great time so far

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
While I understand, especially in the hypothetical world where this is a failed MMO, the reasons behind putting you in Na'vi clothing once you join them, I can't help but feel like keeping the RDA Avatar outfit would have been a better choice. Or at least as an option. Certainly it would have been much more visually unique.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I remember there was a line where someone calls the main character "meals on wheels," but other than that, there's not much else I can remember about the film.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I don't remember any specific lines, but I vaguely recall there being a lot of weirdly flaccid machismo about how extreme and dangerous Pandora is, and it's just vague enough that I don't know if it was actually that way, or if this is a false memory generated by the dialogue we see here in the game.

Anyways, have this.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Beautiful.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

David D. Davidson posted:

Also it's called unobtaimum. Really.

Why wouldn’t nerd scientists call a real-world example of unobtainium ‘unobtainium’?

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 16, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fish Noise posted:

I vaguely recall there being a lot of weirdly flaccid machismo about how extreme and dangerous Pandora is, and it's just vague enough that I don't know if it was actually that way, or if this is a false memory generated by the dialogue we see here in the game.

"You're not in Kansas anymore; you're on Pandora."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Why wouldn’t nerd scientists call a real-world example of unobtainium ‘unobtainium’?

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

Because you'd stop calling it 'unobtainium' once you've 'obtained' a large source of it?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Because you'd stop calling it 'unobtainium' once you've 'obtained' a large source of it?

Dysprosium, an actual element, comes from the Greek dysprositos, which means “hard to get.” The guy who named it had to try a bunch of times to isolate it. The name has not changed, despite it becoming quite a bit easier to get, eventually.

Unobtanium has also broadened in meaning from from its original meaning to also include the meaning of “very hard to get.” I just thought it was a funny nerd joke in a mediocre movie, but I do realize that pretty much everyone else that saw the movie hated the name. Different strokes.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

"You're not in Kansas anymore; you're on Pandora."
God, it's so :nallears:
but I guess with those parts of the dialogue, that's the entire point?

Pvt.Scott posted:

I just thought it was a funny nerd joke in a mediocre movie, but I do realize that pretty much everyone else that saw the movie hated the name. Different strokes.
The Core had this joke too, where it was named by its creator having a bit of fun after being a scientific community pariah for years, and I kinda liked that.

With Avatar, I could not fully articulate my distaste for the joke on initial contact with it, but I think there were some vague notions along the lines of "what sort of corporate meme hell future is this?" and "you took a thing from nerds and pushed it mainstream."
Of course, now being more aware of our corporate meme hell present, and reflecting upon the joke, I see that the first notion was in fact stopping just shy of the truth, and that the great error of the second notion is that it was incomplete and directed at the writers.
So now I adjust my reaction. I appreciate the writing of the joke while simultaneously hating it even more, but this time entirely within the story, because "you took a thing from nerds and pushed it mainstream," and it loving worked, exactly the same as what happens around us all the goddamn time.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Fish Noise posted:

Anyways, have this.

:aaaaa:

This is glorious. This is it, this is what Rabies McFutz actually looks like.

(Way back in the Major/Minor thread, I had all good intentions of doing a nice full portrait of Rabies by searching for "Closed Species" on DA and drawing his beautiful face on the most ridiculous result. I never got around to it [I gave up around the scene where the maid cafe obsessed lovely Blue Squirrel turns out to be an imposter or something ] and... now I never do. :allears: )

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Rahonavis posted:

:aaaaa:

This is glorious. This is it, this is what Rabies McFutz actually looks like.

(Way back in the Major/Minor thread, I had all good intentions of doing a nice full portrait of Rabies by searching for "Closed Species" on DA and drawing his beautiful face on the most ridiculous result. I never got around to it [I gave up around the scene where the maid cafe obsessed lovely Blue Squirrel turns out to be an imposter or something ] and... now I never do. :allears: )

I’d watch James Cameron’s Major/Minor. It’s not like he could make the story any worse.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I’d watch James Cameron’s Major/Minor. It’s not like he could make the story any worse.

Given rumors and stories, Cameron would chokeslam Major/Minor's writer if he starts getting too mouthy so win/win.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

While I understand, especially in the hypothetical world where this is a failed MMO, the reasons behind putting you in Na'vi clothing once you join them, I can't help but feel like keeping the RDA Avatar outfit would have been a better choice. Or at least as an option. Certainly it would have been much more visually unique.

You actually have the option to put the RDA outfit back on, but it gives zero bonuses and isn't worth wearing.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Of course.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Hey, the third video doesn't seem to be working at all- I'm getting a blank youtube page when I use the link.

Also- wow, this whole plot is incredibly.... fast-paced. I feel like I missed an hour of building up to the Dramatic Choosing Of Sides.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, hey. At least we're... actually alive, somehow? Good job on the big blue thing, scientists!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Hello, I have made for you a thing.

(Tsahik's drawn-from-memory face matches mine right now. :magical: )

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Rahonavis posted:

I'm never going to escape the sins I committed LPing M\M, am I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Rahonavis posted:

ho-ho-hoooly poo poo

• Locked thread