Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Welcome to my virtual attic, where I will be blindly stumbling through popular game Skyrim as it was always meant to be experienced: in stunningly realised VIRTUAL REALITY.

I'll be playing on the PSVR in a slightly too small and definitely too cluttered space. I have never played Skyrim in any form, my entire knowlege of this game is gleaned from half remembered Arrow in the Knee memes. I paid £40 for this game and if it takes recording a lengthy LP video series to make me play through it then that's just how things are going to be.

SKYRIM VR

But wait there's more! I'll also be spotlighting some other PSVR titles. These videos will be sprinkled here and there between the Skyrim videos.

:siren:Thread participation! :siren:

I don't really know what I'm doing, so any recomendations for character class/build or even general gameplay tips would be hugely appreciated. Let's take this journey together~

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Personally, I think that Hillary Skyrim is a perfectly fine avatar, and you should keep him, if only to keep you from having to play through that dreadful intro again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This is the ideal way to experience Skyrim: ripping the piss right out of everything as gleefully as one can.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh wow replies. Thanks for watching!

Anyway, this took much longer than intended, but it's done now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_zp31zlgg

Hillary Skyrim will return in the next video, which will be ready in hopefully less than two month's time.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

That seems fun. Certainly more optimised for VR than Skyrim seems to be, though granted there's less stuff to deal with.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Polsy posted:

That seems fun. Certainly more optimised for VR than Skyrim seems to be, though granted there's less stuff to deal with.
I realize it's a little unreasonable to expect Skyrim to have been completely redesigned to play well in VR, but could they not have at least changed the intro cutscene to not do three immersion ruining things at once? It would have been cool if you had to actually walk over and put your head on the chopping block to continue. Still, we haven't quite seen all that Skyrim VR's controll scheme has to offer, as in today's episode we get to experience VIRTUAL SWIMMING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2MfCFnJjJY

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I find myself saying "Super. Hawt." to myself at random intervals. It's really annoying.

Also, holy shite, the jank of using the bow! That is some really lovely implementation there. I couldn't believe you actually managed to hit the skeletons! And then they have the map that you can wander around, and it almost looks like the dev team was competent.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
No idea what I was doing wrong there, the arrow just wouldn't stick to the bow. It is very janky but it's also surprisingly pretty acurate. I don't know if it's the tracking or me being bad that makes me always miss the first shot, but once you have some idea of where the bow is actually pointing it feels very natural to correct your aim. It seems pretty awkward to switch weapons mid-combat so I find myself falling back on the ol' double mace drumming motion a lot in this playthrough, it's a lot quicker than anything else at this point. Getting cool and fun ways to kill things is a very high priority atm!

Anyway, here's more Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td-Di9Pu_60

Next video we'll be spending a little time with a smaller game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
In todays PSVR Showcase we're starting a playthrough of Moss, a charming Platformer set in a tiny animal based fantasy world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISA0niXf-68

I apologise for the game audio de-sync that's still unfortunitely present in this one. I tried to fix it, but it's still a little off at points. Normally Sony vegas is to blame for issues like this and it's easily fixable, but this time it was present in the source file and the de-sync wasn't consistent which made it a real pain in the rear end. It's sort of nuts I managed to edit and upload the intial video without noticing this problem.

Next time, we're diving back into the 'Rim and after that we'll be alternating Moss and Skyrim untill Moss is done.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Your virtual reality attic is a very odd place Philby. Entertaining, but odd.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm sure anybody who really gives a poo poo either already knows or has looked it up, but here's a short version of the civil war going on that you got scooped up by.

A while back, there was a war between the Empire and the Thalmor Dominion (the elves), mostly happening in Skyrim. Things were going less than great for the Empire, so they struck a deal: call off the war and we'll ban worship of Talos in Skyrim. The elves took the deal, and the Empire officially banned worship of Talos. (I may have this wrong, gently caress it close enough.) This mostly took the form of Imperial officials going "hey we're gonna come inspect this place next week and we'd better not find any Talos worship, wink wink."

The core of the current argument is that Ulfric said "you fuckers threw us under the bus to end this war and don't give a poo poo about us anyway, I'm breaking away from you assholes." The Imperial response is essentially "I don't know if you noticed but the elves were kicking our asses which is why we did the lip-service banning of Talos, so stop agitating them during your blatant power grab you stupid rear end in a top hat." The start of the game is set up to make you a lot more sympathetic to the Stormcloak side, though, what with the Imperials having the subtle detail of offering the blessing of the eight Divines instead of nine ("here's the blessing of every god except the one you actually worship" is just a little insulting), and the more overt detail of "the commander would rather just execute everybody than do any extra paperwork."

The dragon stuff is pretty standard "Bad poo poo is going down but you are Chosen to wield ancient power and stop it" thing, and the main plot of the game revolves around it. The civil war is actually a sideplot you don't need to engage with at all if you don't want to.

I don't suppose you can try out one of the two handed weapons for a bit in a future video? I'm curious what you do with your off hand while you're using a two handed weapon.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Moss is adorable and beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Thanks, that's a lot more context than my own stupid rear end would ever have gleaned from the game. I'm still Siding with the Nords until I run across their torture Dungeons tho.

I'm willing to bet the game just removes one of your hands for 2 handed weapons, but I'll keep an eye out for one.

AltaBrown posted:

Moss is adorable and beautiful.

It is! I start the playthrough complaining about the cutscenes but towards the end I was fully enthralled. I'm gladdened to know there's a sequel in the works too!

anyway, dumb technical issues held up Skyrim so here's a double does of VR funtimes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP2BAod7l14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G3slOzuznc

• Locked thread