Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Propitious Jerk posted:

I sorta wish she could search for any Teferi planeswalker so she could grab the Dominara Teferi as well, but that would probably be pretty broken.

I don't think it would be broken per se, but it would lead to people buying out the intro decks for her which is something they are specifically trying to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I made a Gideon pillow fort deck. I took all the pacifism effects and standard and tried to build around those kind of effects. I dropped a whole bunch of life gain creatures for all the enchantments. I'm thinking about adding the life swapping enchantment for maximum troll though.

https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/953781-brawl-pillow-fort

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gynovore posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but it seems like Wizards created Brawl to have a version of Commander which they have full control over, as opposed to Sheldon 'n' friends.

Or maybe they would just rather have us using the $ever-rotating$ Standard cardset.

They can want to do both that, and want to create a better format than Commander, with a more regularly changing meta. Commander always feels the same, with everyone having the same busted poo poo. At least this busted poo poo mandatorily changes with time.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

It might have been a good idea to have set the brawl format a set or two behind the current standard rotation so that it doesn't have to compete with it so directly. Also would prolong the lifespan of cards from wotc's perspective without messing with the rotation system itself.

Kind of want to put together a pirate tribal deck with Admiral Beckett Brass but pretty sure it wouldn't actually be any good and locally there hasn't been much interest in the format.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Wazzu posted:

They can want to do both that, and want to create a better format than Commander, with a more regularly changing meta. Commander always feels the same, with everyone having the same busted poo poo. At least this busted poo poo mandatorily changes with time.

Also feels like brawl is geared towards Arena and its economy

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I had a blast playing Magic yesterday for the first time in a decade, and it was due to brawl.

Not standard brawl, mind, but build-your-own-brawl. Everyone picked a prior standard format and applied the brawl rules to that format to create their deck. It was fantastic. Brought Jhoira (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Coldsnap/10th) and Zur (9th/Kamigawa/Ravnica/Coldsnap), saw a whole variety of decks from a bunch of different eras (including a couple current brawl decks). Seemed reasonably balanced, too, though the current standard seems to be very very good in this format due to plainswalker generals. I suspect that everyone is going to gear up with a lot more direct damage and permanent-destruction to hate on plainswalkers. I think there will be a next time, too, because it was loving fantastic as a format. Going to go off and build Momir Vig next.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Admittedly the power level is much higher these days but did someone bring Linn-Sivi?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

TheDemon posted:

Admittedly the power level is much higher these days but did someone bring Linn-Sivi?

Nope. I think the decks we saw were:

Jhoira of the Ghitu
Zur the Enchanter
Rith, the Awakener
Karona, False God
Selenia, Dark Angel
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Nico Bolas, Plainswalker
Nico Bolas, God-Pharaoh
Geist of Saint Traft

Nothing mono-color.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if a Jodah deck that just slams down fatties and expensive artifacts/enchantments for WUBRG every turn is worth trying.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

I wonder if a Jodah deck that just slams down fatties and expensive artifacts/enchantments for WUBRG every turn is worth trying.

Not competitively, but if you are in a casual scene, you do you.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There's no way it's competitive; you'd probably be in horrible shape by the time your manafixing done. It just sounds kinda fun.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

More like

Barawls, Cheif of Compliance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
any cool budget decks for brawl

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kurtofan posted:

They all are.

If you're doing it any other way but "a cool legend" + "the fun cards from my draft chaff" how are you even living life?

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

You have to buy in for at least Karn and the new Mox.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I saw a pretty budget friendly Brawl deck listed on mtggoldfish. It was a Kefnet, the Mindful with 59 islands. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

InterrupterJones posted:

I saw a pretty budget friendly Brawl deck listed on mtggoldfish. It was a Kefnet, the Mindful with 59 islands. :v:

With my Mark Poole Arena Islands that's about $1,200

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Mine's Hapatra plus every card that says "-1/-1 counter" on it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Siivola posted:

Mine's Hapatra plus every card that says "-1/-1 counter" on it.

This actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It works surprisingly well, actually! Or, well, it works against Planeswalker decks and other kitchen table stuff, I got dunked in the one Brawl game I've managed to play. :v: (Depala's Bigass Boats is also real neat deck if you can afford Heart of Kiran, Weatherlight and such.)

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

I’ve just about got my Elenda, the Dusk Rose deck finished. It’s a pain that you have to do some extra legwork to get both the tokens when she dies AND get her back into the command zone/play, but it’s not too bad with cards that exile other cards in the graveyard. I’m one Annointed Procession away from being done with the whole thing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So Baral is banned now. I wonder who the next broke as gently caress Brawl commander in line is.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ghalta.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
So last week I pulled a Karn from a consolation booster. After I went 1-2 in the local brawl tournament. So I had Tezzeret The Schemer laying around doing nothing. Kicked his lazy rear end from his slumber tied him to Phyrexian Scriptures and Karn to lead my misfit army of automatons. I really should highlight that not only is Phyrexian Scriptures hilarious at pissing off everyone with graveyard recursion. It's also a one sided board wipe. Then adding Mechanized Production to the Mishra Sel-Replicator is neat. Putting it on a Noxious Gearhulk is so much more fun. Without much further ado I present to you fine folks my brawl deck. I call it Rise of the Machines you can pretend Karn is Arnie if you like.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-05-18-rise-of-the-machines/

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

Played my first brawl games yesterday with Kambal (https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-08-18-kambal-brawl/) and it was okay against more controlly and midrange decks but had hard time against go-wide aggro decks. I guess cure is to add more sweepers (Settle the Wreckage & Fumigate?) but is there something else you would replace? I'm thinking of cutting: Duress, Profane Procession and maybe Elenda & Approach.

p.s. don't die thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I have not played Brawl, but on paper the first cards that jump to mind as not great are Elenda, Approach, and Torment of Hailfire. I don't generally like do nothing midrange guys(Arvad and Aryel, mostly), but Brawl decks are less consistent and powerful than decks in regular constructed so they might be fine. I think the first sweeper I would mess around with is actually Golden Demise, since it naturally doesn't kill your commander or a lot of your other random dorks. Settle and Fumigate seem strong too.

As an aside, I think you might want some planeswalkers, since this basically reads like a midrange deck and those are generally the best home for them, since you can protect them and they let you pull ahead.

• Locked thread