Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

At least I never had six powerful weapons of the same type at all times. Sure, you'll have one or two clearly over the curve ones but crafting is nice to fill the rest of the slots with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Apparently your kingdom can't hit level 4 before the postgame. I wish they'd have signaled that, like put "Complete Chapter 9" as a requirement or something. Would have saved a fair amount of time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Amppelix posted:

At least I never had six powerful weapons of the same type at all times. Sure, you'll have one or two clearly over the curve ones but crafting is nice to fill the rest of the slots with.

I crafted a few but since about chapter 6 I've had weapons from Tainted monsters that flat out beat what I could craft. And when I was level 25 I killed the enemies in the shrine near the Forest of Niall and one dropped a 198 weapon when my current ones were about 90. That big boost has meant crafted seemed even more useless!
Of course I've been missing the level 6 weapons because I didn't have the guy for it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 18, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rascyc posted:

I actually die quite fast in some of these later game areas cause I'm so under leveled and never made use of crafted gear. Not wiping or anything but it was kind of amusing.

Do hard modes for skirmishes also have to be cleared for the skirmish trophy?

Hard modes don't count, the wording on the trophy should of just been "complete every skirmish" because it wants you to do all 50 unique skirmish fights. Repeats don't count either

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Crafting never did pan out. Maxing out the extras when crafting would give me stuff that was like +4-9 over what I had. It's technically an upgrade, but meh. I could have upgraded what I had but I didn't feel like mashing X for an extended period of time just to gain a few points on each weapon. Magic also didn't pan out, though I suspect you're supposed to use it a lot and upgrade as you go. In the end it was the same party as the beginning, mashing flurry, munching on soreaway. My kingdom was as maxed as I could get it but, barring the benefit of increased experience and army mode stuff, I could have completely ignored that side of the game and not had it affect me.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Crafting only seems to matter extreme endgame where you’ve researched level 9/10 gear and have done the first 50 tainted monsters and just prepping for the optional boss and the remaining tainteds. I’m at that pt now and everything is baseline better than found gear.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I finally finished the game! The story doesn't let up and start to make sense at the end for sure.
So he's your son from the future. And Doloran loved his kingmaker and knew what he needed to do to get her back but somehow it took him 2000 years? Okay then.

I'm not going to bother with the postgame stuff, it just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort.

There's a lot of good stuff to say about the game but there's so much weird stuff too. All through I got the impression that they rushed it and ran out of time, from the monsters to the half implemented stuff like higgeldies. I still loved it though.

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 19, 2018

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

I'm not going to bother with the postgame stuff, it just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort.

I finished it last night, and had an hour or so to kill before crashing, so I figured what the hell lets go see what new citizens turned up on the vendor. Zero, it turns out, is how many new citizens there were. No problem calling it quits. It was a good game.

Taear posted:

All through I got the impression that they rushed it and ran out of time, from the monsters to the half implemented stuff like higgeldies.

No idea if it was content cut for time or if they just made up a shitload of systems without much development, but everything did have a very half-finished feel to it. It didn't exactly feel like some unfinished games where you could see the negative space. It felt like a dozen people went into a brainstorming session then they all walked out and worked on different things while being separate to the team working on the bulk of the game. None of the side systems are actively bad, but they're all underdeveloped and placed in a game where they can be completely ignored.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Mailer posted:

I finished it last night, and had an hour or so to kill before crashing, so I figured what the hell lets go see what new citizens turned up on the vendor. Zero, it turns out, is how many new citizens there were. No problem calling it quits. It was a good game.

It's weird because earlier in the game, the vendor gets new citizens based on your chapter progression. Post-game, I believe they show up based on which side quests you've done.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

It's weird because earlier in the game, the vendor gets new citizens based on your chapter progression. Post-game, I believe they show up based on which side quests you've done.

I'm sure (well, not sure, but it's a safe assumption) there are more quests. I still had two citizen quests waiting in the wings, as well as ~10 unfinished quests that I'd found. I did a quick victory lap of the towns/populated places and no one had more crap for me to do, either, so even if every quest was a citizen AND I could complete them all it's still kingdom level 3. There's probably a new citizen quest hiding in all the caves I hadn't visited or possibly some I had. Probably a dozen more infected monsters as well. If citizen quests were readily apparent I'd have done them but going to a walkthrough for a game that's already finished... nope.

In the end, aside from cutting down on grind by researching experience boosts, the town building/citizen aspect is another feature that was good but didn't really affect the main game. I did sidequests to get citizens to upgrade my castle to get better gathering places to get items to... do more sidequests. That was an enjoyable gameplay loop for me and I liked propping up my little kingdom. Once the credits roll and you realize that none of it really mattered it's hard to get back into it.

I'd honestly love an expanded version of the kingdom building game with map painting. If that aspect wasn't in here I'd have probably dropped it long before finishing. Also stop calling a castle a kingdom and take some territory you underaged furry.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The swift solutions guy has a citizen or two he has to give you a separate (non errand) quest for. No idea on what the criteria are for them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mailer posted:

I'm sure (well, not sure, but it's a safe assumption) there are more quests. I still had two citizen quests waiting in the wings, as well as ~10 unfinished quests that I'd found. I did a quick victory lap of the towns/populated places and no one had more crap for me to do, either, so even if every quest was a citizen AND I could complete them all it's still kingdom level 3. There's probably a new citizen quest hiding in all the caves I hadn't visited or possibly some I had. Probably a dozen more infected monsters as well. If citizen quests were readily apparent I'd have done them but going to a walkthrough for a game that's already finished... nope.

Four citizens show up postgame. One is an obvious quest in Evermore that only appears if you've done the prerequisites. The rest are announced on leafbook, and are: also in Evermore (how did you miss this one she's literally standing by the gate), in Capstan, and, uh, randomly on the world map around Ding Dong Dell. Really cool placement on that one.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mailer posted:

Once the credits roll and you realize that none of it really mattered it's hard to get back into it.
You mean story wise because a mess of them really do have impact on the gameplay, especially the gathering stuff for upgrading magic and creating gear.

Now whether or not it was ever necessary is probably ho hum, although post game does seem to rely more on crafting.

Magic being kind of lovely all game was prob my biggest disappointment.

All in all it's basically a Level 5 game. They are all like this including their most famous one: Dark Cloud.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rascyc posted:

There's so little little variety to it, what you had is quite strong if it's levelled up but I'd have appreciated some more spells.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rascyc posted:

You mean story wise because a mess of them really do have impact on the gameplay, especially the gathering stuff for upgrading magic and creating gear.

Yes, specifically in the opening->credits portion of the game. The gear drops range from slightly worse to slightly better than crafted. I upgraded everything I possibly could at the magic place and bought it all, but still just used the two abilities on Evan I'd used the whole game. Nothing was required and no upgrades from town really made me feel more powerful beyond gaining levels faster. I could have stopped at kingdom level 2.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Now whether or not it was ever necessary is probably ho hum, although post game does seem to rely more on crafting.

All in all it's basically a Level 5 game. They are all like this including their most famous one: Dark Cloud.

DQVIII is a near perfect game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Having the same crappy NES combat like every DQ game is a flaw

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

babypolis posted:

DQVIII is a near perfect game

It'd only be perfect if it were out for the PC. Or at least coming to it.

I kind of feel like playing something else similar to NNK2 but I'm not sure where to get that.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What's with that giant island in the sky that is connected by a sliver of a stone pillar? It's near Ding Dong Dell and I can't fly high enough to reach it. Something that was planned but then cut?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

It'd only be perfect if it were out for the PC. Or at least coming to it.

I kind of feel like playing something else similar to NNK2 but I'm not sure where to get that.

ps2 emulation is a thing my friend. It looks great too and the speed up function is a godsend

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mike_V posted:

What's with that giant island in the sky that is connected by a sliver of a stone pillar? It's near Ding Dong Dell and I can't fly high enough to reach it. Something that was planned but then cut?

It does nothing at all, maybe it's just to look cool?
I wonder about the Cradles that are around the world too. What's the point of them if they don't do anything?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The cradles are where you use Retrial to re-fight the kingmaker bosses.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Really Pants posted:

The cradles are where you use Retrial to re-fight the kingmaker bosses.

Is that post game only? When I discovered them I went in and clicked the plaque but nothing happened. I expected the game to send me there to "purify" them or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Taear posted:

Is that post game only? When I discovered them I went in and clicked the plaque but nothing happened. I expected the game to send me there to "purify" them or something.

No, you just need the last individual spell from the spellworks.

Anyone know if there's any point to refighting them other than for fun?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Sakurazuka posted:

No, you just need the last individual spell from the spellworks.

Anyone know if there's any point to refighting them other than for fun?

They give decent exp and they get progressively harder. I think they can reach a max level of 125.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Where's the best place to grind skirmishes?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Monolith. posted:

Where's the best place to grind skirmishes?

What level is your highest level skirmish group?
The wyvern fight in the Drylands is really easy and levels you up pretty quickly, but I'd say you might need to be level 25 or so.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Taear posted:

What level is your highest level skirmish group?
The wyvern fight in the Drylands is really easy and levels you up pretty quickly, but I'd say you might need to be level 25 or so.

25-27 ish. I'll check it out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Monolith. posted:

25-27 ish. I'll check it out.

They're all red swords and they're generally pretty weak. Make sure you bought the upgrades though (as in the bolster forces) before you do it.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I just appointed my first two ministers: I put the guy who gambled his kingdom away in charge of our finances, and I tasked the guy who won't dare to save his own daughter to protect our kingdom.

Only the best people for my administration! :smugdon:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I just appointed my first two ministers: I put the guy who gambled his kingdom away in charge of our finances, and I tasked the guy who won't dare to save his own daughter to protect our kingdom.

Only the best people for my administration! :smugdon:

It’s fine, it’s not like they could possibly gently caress up again.

I appreciate how a lot of this thread is people trying to dunk on a dumb anime bullshit game for kids. Does it have flaws? For sure. Is it unplayable or a mess? Probably not. The characters are super cute and likeable (even Batu, and Leander is forgettable but eh).

I have put 41 hours into this game since I started playing it two weeks ago, so I may be biased because it sucked me in with its charm even though Evan is pretty much an evil imperialist (yeah, you thought you’d be clever by calling it Evermore as if it isn’t directly named after you.) I’m into a Kid King just doing his best.

I’d really like to see a true sequel to NnK 1 at some point, Ollie was a pretty cool and strong character and I wouldn’t mind seeing what his future was like... and more Drippy would be fantastic

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 25, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
A new patch came out today:

quote:

New Difficulty Modes (Hard and Expert).

New quality level for equipment drops.

New equipment skills.

Rare accessories with 2nd skill slot.

Balance issues, bug fixes, and other minor stuff.

Still no DLC news :(

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Was testing out the new gear dropping in the Faraway Cave and got this on danger 5 in 21+ of the Faraway Forest Cave on Expert:

daamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Woof, monstrously overcrowded floors at danger 5 on expert are rough

• Locked thread