Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Hi I'm [INCONSISTENT USER NAME ON ALL ACCOUNTS] and me n' my friend are paly Pokemon. Originally posted in the romhackeria, I didn't realize that OP FPZero wanted to close the romhackeria, so now it's here.

Chaos Edition?
This is Pokemon Black version run through the Universal Pokemon Randomizer with most of the boxes ticked.

Does this count as a romhack?
It's a modification of the code of a video game rom, so yeah.

So what boxes did you tick?
-Base Stats are completely randomized, though they will fall under the original Base Stat Total (BST).
-EXP curve is normalized so everything will level up at the same rate.
-Stat Randomization ordering will follow the evolutionary line.
-BSTs will be changed to the updated totals from future games in the series, so things like Pidgeot and Beedrill will have a few more points to work with.
-Pokemon will evolve into ANYTHING as long as they share a type, and will more than likely evolve into something of a similar strength to what they would normally evolve into in an unmodified game.
-Also the types of Pokemon and all moves are changed. Type effectiveness remains the same as the base game.
-Pokemon Abilities are randomized. Wonder Guard will appear. Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, Magnet Pull, Truant, Slow Start, and Defeatist will not.
-Starters will all be randomized, as long as they can evolve 2 more times.
-Static Field Pokemon are randomized (Legendary Pokemon will always be a random Legendary Pokemon, Non-legendaries will always be non-legendary)
-Trades are completely random
-Moves, on top of having new typing, will also have random Power, Accuracy, PP, and damage type Category (Physical/Special)
-Movesets are randomized completely as well, with weaker moves generally being learned first.
-All Pokemon start with 4 Moves.
-Trainers have random Pokemon with type-themed teams.
-life is a hell we can never escape without losing everything
-Trainers will have different names and class names, and will always have Fully Evolved Pokemon after level 45.
-Every Pokemon on a route will be replaced with a new Pokemon, and will repeat infrequently in the hopes that duplicates on routes will be uncommon.
-No legendaries will appear in the wild outside of normal event locations.
-All Wild Pokemon have their held item tables randomized.
-All TMs and their compatibility will are randomized. All HMs can be learned by everything so that we can't get stuck.
-All Items on the overworld are randomized entirely.
-FASTEST TEXT SPEED IN THE WEST, WHICH BREAKS SOME DIALOGUE BOXES HELL YEAH LET'S GO

EPISODES
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
post reserved for something that happens after the first gym where the audio quality of the recordings is fixed

Also let me know if I should take out the intro. I was putting them in for myself initially but if popular opinion is 'get rid of em' then I'll do that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Since I've been watching in the Romhacks thread, I already gave some advice on ways to fix up the videos. I'm going to repost what I said there into here for others to agree/disagree with as well. I like this LP's concept and so I hope you definitely take some suggestions from me and others into account because it's about drat time a Slugma is useful in the games!

FPzero posted:

So I'm enjoying seeing just how messed up you've made this game but I've got a few suggestions to improve your videos since I believe you mention in one of the vids that you're not super experienced with this stuff yet.

First off, I'm not sure your intro is needed since we already know what we're clicking on when we see an update in the thread. Personally, I'd rather just see the game begin immediately.
Second, I don't think I understand most of the inserted jokes and clips you're editing into the videos. What was the point of the Eric Andre clip at the end of episode 2 or the skateboarding kid in 3? Stuff like these clips are taking me out of the moment more than anything else because they're generally not introduced leaving me to guess why I'm suddenly watching 15 seconds of something unrelated to the LP. That said, I'm cool with the Spanish Flea over top a technical difficulties image for when you need it because it's simple and the image describes exactly why it's there. Also because Spanish Flea is funny and I've used it in my own videos for dumb poo poo before too. I also think other small things like the R.I.P. images screens for Slugma and Nincada during that Riolu fight were fine because I do enjoy dumb stuff like that in videos. So there are good edits and bad edits in here, and I'd say the best ones are the ones that make the most sense in context with what's going on and probably don't require obscure outside knowledge or injokes to get.
Third, you mentioned a couple times that you're worried about dead air. From experience, I'll tell you that it's better to have a few seconds of dead air than to force yourself to say something to fill it. You and your friend mesh well together in conversation and that matters more than forcing out filler sentences. That said, I know you said you were worried than if he ever stops talking, that means his internet has crapped out and so it's a way for you to check for technical difficulties. Try to find a balance if possible.
Fourth, you've mentioned a few times now that there are a couple problems with audio balance when comparing your voice with the game's volume. My recommendation to solve this, if you aren't already, is to record your voice totally separate from the game's audio by using an external recorder like Audacity. I assume that you're capturing your voice, your friends voice and the game's audio all at the same time. Recording them separately will allow you to adjust volumes manually before you put together the final video product, but all this will result in a longer editing process. In fact, your friend can also record their audio locally with Audacity and then send it to you. If you need help with this sort of recording setup, I'm sure the Tech Support Fort would be able to help in more detail.
Fifth, now that you've started employing editing to jump around and skip some things (which is a good thing overall) here are some tips to have cleaner cuts. Instead of a straight jump cut like what happens when you moved from the item bag to the trainer fight, you should use half-second or one-second Fade Outs/Ins or Cross Dissolves to make the transition less jarring and clearly inform the viewer that we've jumped ahead in time. The first time it happened, which was the cut to the trainer fight, I wasn't sure what had happened and spent a couple seconds figuring out "oh we're doing editing now". This sounds really nitpicky and I'm sorry if it comes off that way.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I did a randomized run (not LPed) from v1.7.0 of the Universal Randomizer and Black 2. I made sure to generate out the cheat sheet for completion sake. I took me about 150 hours if i remember correctly to finish with all monsters caught.

-The "shaking spots" mechanic is very annoying for a completionist like myself.
-Also make note that you can break the game by having an early and easy to obtain source of Master balls, Rare candies, or even relics which can be sold for money if you can find something that learns "Steal".
-Some of your changes (randomizing field legendaries for example) will make some of the game dialog make no sense (but we're assuming that people here have already played through or read an LP of this game).
-Most importantly, have fun!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
"[Featuring Kevin]" is a good enticement for people to click the thread. Hell, made me do it!

• Locked thread