Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I dare you to post a single Republican core belief, or even opinion, that is worthy of debate.
Depends on whether you mean this in terms of the broad ecosystem of conservative ideas, or the ones that have any political traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey everyone, so I went there. If you're hoping for fireworks or sickburns, I'm afraid I have to disappoint. It was just 5 people there, myself included. I guess one of the friends talked to the Republican guy beforehand cause he stayed well away from politics, and I did pretty much the same. I guess we were both hoping the other would start it, and neither of us did. All in all, a pretty pleasant time.

I did learn a few things though. When I went into this, I thought the dude was a huge loving yuppie-wannabe. I decided to have an open mind, but he thought and acted exactly like I expected. Our Republican friend is *really* into supporting other Republican clubs come hell or high water. And especially other members. When that article from the first page was brought up, he tried to divert the conversation anywhere else. Despite the fact that, in his words, he's only friends with a few members of the Republican club. It was really weird to see that play out in real life, and it was weirdly, reflexive too, if that makes sense.
The dude also spoke about some personal anecdotes where he basically tried to play capitalist with friends' favors. Like making them pay extra for something when they immediately needed it. He thought this was funny.

On that note, I don't think the guy gets humor or satire. In the past he defended several other Republican clubs for making inflammatory messages as satire. During the meeting, he showed an article written in our school paper, an obviously untrue one written as a joke and he took it 100% seriously. Like when I say "obviously untrue" think of the level of "professor caught writing fanfiction about Jennifer Love Hewitt going back in time and killing Hitler" level of absurdity. He on the other hand used it as a criticism of our school. What got me was that he seemed so goddamn mirthless about it. Like usually when people find something absurd they seem exasperated or amused, he seemed to just be upset about it. I don't know, maybe I was just being trolled, but he seemed sincere.

Sorry for the non-ending, but I do appreciate the links you guys posted and if I get invited somewhere else for political shenanigans I'll post updates.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SSNeoman posted:

The dude also spoke about some personal anecdotes where he basically tried to play capitalist with friends' favors. Like making them pay extra for something when they immediately needed it. He thought this was funny.

He's going to run a major multinational corporation one day and kill children for some dumb poo poo like water to bottle or land to build luxury condos on.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

He voted Libertarian in 2016 so

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Don't feel too bad. Reflex is a good word for a young conservative trying to avoid literally every association that goes with it. It seems fairly universal to those aligned with the right, but with enough internal shame to know that's wrong on some level. Group loyalty is huge in those circles, and it's reinforced because their positions have such a tenuous grasp on reality that the only people they can associate with are those that share those positions. That's why you have so many supposedly pro-gay republicans who will defend the evangelicals behind Uganda's anti-gay laws, or evade to "we fight muslims" if challenged. It's also why they're so eager to seize on any article that agrees with them, even if it's an obvious joke or misinterpretation. It's not a debate to them, it's about validation.

"I voted Libertarian" is another pretty classic handwave to avoid actually having to own the policies you support, or pretend to play devil's advocate for. In 2006, I "personally" didn't support the Iraq War, but boy howdy was I willing to support those who did out of loyalty or use that "both sides" bullshit when challenged. Forsaking an irrational belief system takes time, even if the change seems sudden when it happens. You being there, showing that the radical ANTIFA commies are normal people like them and forcing them to go through the motions of letting you know they're not as bad as the beliefs they hold probably did a lot more than you might think. Though, if he's as privileged as he sounds he meet never reach that breaking point.

Evading on reflex with literal rehearsed responses must seem weird if you weren't raised conservative, but it's a huge part of what makes those people tick. Even if they do have big differences with their party on some issues, they're unwilling to tug on those threads lest their whole identity unravel. This also tends to have an impact on one's humor as well. If you live your whole life under a siege mentality, you're not going to be able to accept self-criticism or an attack on the world as is from below. A conservative's idea of humor is a poor kid buying an ice cream cone with food stamps and dropping it on the sidewalk. If that's your idea of comeuppance, your idea of what "satire" is is going to be warped. Or he's just a jackass accustomed to saying "it was just a joke" every time someone calls him out on being unnecessarily dickish.

Grammarchist fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 13, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you don't eat his heart you will never gain his power.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Quote hitler and replace the name with bush, see if they notice or agree with said quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

LeoMarr posted:

Quote hitler and replace the name with bush, see if they notice or agree with said quote.

Bush or JFK? can be quite tough. I presume the Bushies did that purposefully.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 23, 2018

• Locked thread