Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
There was a thread like this last year and I enjoyed reading goons opinions on how their teams fared last season and shaped up for the next. It's easy to get tunnel vision around your team and tough to follow the minutiae of thirty-one other teams but that thread was the other team insight I was looking for.

Team: Miami

Record: 6-10

What sucked:
Smokin' Jay didn't care. Thought last season would at least be full of funslinging, but instead we got a million short passes to Landry because Parker may as well have not been there. And some of the play calling was just bizarre. After a season where we won a lot of close games, this was the harsh reality that followed. That people were still thinking about playoff situations in December was hilarious.

What was good:
Trading Ajayi looked stupid but actually worked out. When the short passes to multiple receivers thing worked, it looked impressive even if it didn't gain big yardage. They slaughtered the Patriots in Miami. Kraig Urbik retired.

Most disappointing player:
Cutler's too obvious and anyone was a fool to expect any more. So it's Julius Thomas, who I think I remember seeing at some point last season maybe?

Unexpectedly good:
Xavien Howard turned into a cornerback. Weeks 12-14 his allowed passer rating was 0.0. The emergence of Kenyan Drake was also surprising, although we'll see if that continues next season or if it was just a flash in the pan. Cody Parkey wasn't terrible when not playing for the Browns (who knew) - so obviously the Dolphins let him go and tried out Blair loving Walsh instead.

Best moment:
Jay Cutler, Wide Receiver - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSB5OpDOTcA

Draft needs:
LB, TE, pass rush. Dolphins could mortgage the future and trade up for a QB, but IMO there are too many holes to be filed to consider it. A 2nd or 3rd round prospect like Mason Rudolph or Mike White would make more sense behind Tannehill for a year. Edmunds or Smith would be an ideal first round pick - Edmunds especially being nineteen could be around and good/great for a long time.

Hopes for 2018:
I get the feeling this is a soft tank for the Dolphins. Call it a rebuilding year or something where Gase absolutely does things his way and gets the players working from his playbook which apparently too many people are too stupid/unwilling to do. If it works, maybe it builds a core for 2019. If it doesn't he's gone and the full tank takes over. I think that's optimistic though - I've honestly no idea what the plan is in Miami or what Machiavellian bullshit is going on behind the scenes in terms of deciding the team's direction. I'll take a Frank Gore throwback jersey this season and that might be as good as it gets for 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Team: Cleveland Browns

Record: 0-16

What sucked:
Everything. Joe Thomas got injured. They lost all the games. Bills made the playoffs so now the Browns have the longest playoff drought. Fans and coaches turning hard on Isaiah Crowell despite being one of few people outside the offensive line who deserved to collect a paycheck.

What was good:
4-0 in the preseason. The Parade. Watching Browns players that failed to produce a single win get mad on Twitter that the fans found a way to derive some level of enjoyment out of the organization. Josh Gordon is, in theory, going to be playing all year next season.

Kenny Britt, who we dumped Pryor for.

Unexpectedly good:
Josh Gordon played and the Browns might have drafted a player capable of playing in the NFL in the first round. :toot:

Best moment:
Hue Jackson not being fired for going 1-31.
DeShone Kizer doing everything he could to try and get us a win, only for Corey Coleman to be Corey Coleman. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3xdVGOR4w

Draft needs:
Everything.

Hopes for 2018:
That Hue Jackson gets fired before he can get ownership to blame everything on the roster.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Team: New England Patriots

Record: 13-3

What Sucked: Well they lost the Superbowl, that kinda sucked. Losing Edelman in the preseason sucked too, since the offense would've gone from ridiculous to orgasmic with him. The entire defense was some level of injured or sucked or talentless for most of the season too, but whatever.

What was good: Brady handily won MVP, Gronk was insane. Rest of the offense performed at a ridiculous level once again. Defense played about as well as one could expect from such a talent poor front 7. Went to the Superbowl for the 3rd time in 4 years and the AFC Championship game for the 7th consecutive season, that's pretty good.

Most Disappointing Player: Alan Branch probably. Had been a stout rotational DT for a few years and completely disappeared last year. Failing that, I guess Dwayne Allen?

Unexpectedly Good: Dion Lewis stayed healthy for the first time ever and was a beast. Marquis Flowers was s scrapheap guy from the Bengals and he flashed as a solid linebacker in a place where there were none otherwise.

Best Moment: The throw to Cooks to end the ridiculous Texans game early on probably takes the cake here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzUGKd6qI0w

Draft Needs: Left tackle, pass rushers, athletic tweener linebacker, quarterback that doesn't have memories of the 1st Iraq War.

Hopes for 2018: More of this from fans of everyone else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKB7pi1mbc

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Team: LA Chargers

Record: 9-7

What sucked:
The team was relocated out of San Diego.
lovely tiny soccer stadium where more away fans than actual fans showed up. Because LA doesn't give a poo poo about the Chargers, nor should they.
gently caress Dean Spanos
Younghoe Koo taken over Josh Lambo, leading to an ever spiraling season of hosed up kicking resulting in the team losing two games that easily would've sent them to the playoffs.
Forrest Lamp going down with an ACL tear in preseason.
Jason Verrett went down in week 1.
Started out 0-4.
JFC the Chiefs. I don't know why the Chiefs perpetually had the Chargers number, because the Chiefs pissed away so many games this season but always remembered why they're good in time to play the Charges.
Run game was rear end. Some people put it on Melvin Gordon. I put it on the O-Line being incapable of opening any real holes for him. Le'Veon Bell wouldn't be any more productive with that line.
On a defensive unit that somehow became top-10 this season, run defense was a sucking chest wound.

What was good:
No coaches named Mike McCoy on the team any longer.
Anthony Lynn made real strides as a coach during the season.
After starting 0-4, they clawed their way back to being in playoff contention.
Rivers was sacked a league low number of times this season.
Far fewer injuries this season. For once they got to show what they could be capable of and it looks really good.
Almost every game they lost, they remained competitive.
Run defense aside, the overall defense was outstanding.

Tie: Something called a Hayes Pullard and Mike Williams for not being able to get on the field this year. However, Williams gets a do-over due to extenuating circumstances. Pullard on the other hand doesn't belong in the NFL.

Unexpectedly good:
Dan Feeney and Desmond King tie this for best rookies.
Casey Hayward for proving the season before wasn't a fluke and he's one of the top 3 CBs in the league.
Anthony Lynn. This clip is after their loss to the Jaguars, and this is something you never saw out of McCoy: a willingness to change poo poo when it doesn't work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTtSZQJkE-k
Keenan Allen. Like Hayward, everyone knows he's good. But holy poo poo he is better than most people give him credit. He shows that the offense goes through him.

Best moment:
First time in years for one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n6OzQ63LaE

Draft needs:
Linebacker, Free Safety, Defensive Tackle, Quarterback

Hopes for 2018:
That they prove they don't belong in LA and continue to be unable to sell out their soccer stadium.
That they continue to improve on last year and go to the playoffs.
I know these two hopes are in conflict but I still want both these things.

aperion fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 2, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Team: Houston Texans

Record: 4-12

What sucked: Holy gently caress, injuries. I mean, gently caress. Every important player not named DeAndre Hopkins or Jadeveon Clowney got some sort of terrible season-ending injury, and they just. Kept. Happening.

What was good: Every game started by Deshaun Watson (barring the Kansas City game) was a win and/or a fun game. Even the losses were edge-of-your-seat exciting!

Most disappointing player: Corey Moore. Before he got hurt, he had a chance to show if he was an acceptable replacement for A.J. Bouye. He was not an acceptable replacement.

Unexpectedly good: How quickly Watson became the toast of the NFL. Here's a timeline:
Week 1: Ugh, why isn't Watson starting?
Week 2: I think it's too soon for Watson to start.
Week 3: It's too early to say Watson is good.
Week 4: Is Watson really that good?
Week 5: Oh my God, Watson is really good!

Best moment: Why Tennessee hired Mike Vrabel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZWdMI27qLk

Draft needs: Offensive linemen and a free safety. Oh, and a backup QB if we can get one.

Hopes for 2018:
1) No major contributor gets a season-ending injury
2) Get the the AFC Championship Game, at the very least
3) Bob McNair is visited by three ghosts that convince him to change his ways

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Team: Minnesota

What sucked:
Falling apart in the NFC Championship. Each side of the ball had about one drive in which they looked competent before the Eagles just steamrolled them. I don't mind losing as much as I hate feeling uncompetitive and that was the NFC Championship in a nutshell. Losing Dalvin Cook early in the season also sucked.

What was good:
The defense. The last few years, they've been a "young team on the rise" and this year it arrived. Vikings have elite players at all three levels, consistency at each position and one of the best defensive coaches in football. They historically good on third down. Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs also emerged as arguably the best WR duo in the league. Dalvin Cook also looked great prior to his ACL injury, giving the Vikings one hell of a set of complimentary players.

This is kind of tough as most everyone on their team lived up to their billing. Probably Laquon Treadwell. He was a first rounder who after being barely active his rookie season, was given the outside starting job and did almost nothing with it. When you're a WR mainly contributing as a run blocker, that's a problem. It just didn't matter cause of Thielen/Diggs.

Unexpectedly good:
Case Keenum, hands down. Thielen I didn't expect to become a top 10 WR but he always seemed like a solid, underrated contributor. But Keenum just came out of no where and provided some excellent QBing even if some of it was compensated by the Vikings receivers. It wasn't all smoke and mirrors, though - he actually has a deft pocket presence and was aggressive in getting the ball to guys. After years of check down play, whether because they physically couldn't (Ponder), reluctant to do it (Teddy) or too busy getting planted in the backfield (Bradford), this was a exciting as hell to watch.

Best moment:
Minneapolis Miracle, a moment so good, even Joe Buck made a good card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_AyI8I4O3U

Draft needs:
OL and DL depth. Vikings either need a new starting G or starting RT, depending on what they do with Mike Remmers and Rashod Hill. I'm included to move Remmers back to RT, let hill be a swing tackle and pick up a solid starting G. A lot of talk about Billy Price, given his past relationship with Vikings C Pat Elflein (and Spielman does value college chemistry). I don't know much about any of the Gs this year besides Nelson being a monster and Price tore his pec at the combine. Given the way pec injuries derailed the Vikings line a few years ago, it makes me nervous but whatever. Also need some DL depth because while the Viking front 4 is elite, you need to be 2 deep to compete with the Eagles.

Hopes for 2018:
Super Bowl, homeboy. Kirk Cousins and Sheldon Richardson shore up the biggest holes on the roster with quality talent. Vikings got bills coming on some younger stars, so this year is going to be their last best chance to win the Super Bowl before they need to really start hitting in the draft to keep the team replenished.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Team: The Buffalo Bills

What sucked:
The Nathan Peterman experience. The complete lack of a passing game. Our anonymously bad receivers all dying and being replaced by other anonymously bad receivers. Mike Tolbert. The stretch of games mid-season where we got blown out every week for three weeks(or was it four?) Eric Wood being forced to retire for his own well-being.

What was good:
We made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years because the Bengals pulled a win out of their asses. Shady still owns, Kyle Williams got to go to the playoffs, did I mention we made the playoffs? We even scored points in the playoffs!(3)
Right, what else? Oh, the defense was pretty good. Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer ended up being a way better safety duo than anyone expected. We beat the Colts in OT in a blizzard in a game quarterbacked by Joe Webb. We played in the Wild Card round of the playoffs!

Most Disappointing Player:
Wide receiver. Jordan Matthews? Kelvin Benjamin? Andre Holmes? Zay Jones? Pick one.

Unexpectedly Good:
Micah Hyde, with an honorable mention to Jordan Poyer. Seriously, Micah Hyde owns, and he is real, and he is my friend.

Draft Needs:
The Bills finally rid themselves of noted good-but-not-great quarterback Tyrod Taylor as though he's a monkey's paw or a dirty diaper, and I assume they aren't stupid enough to try and sell us on A.J. McCarron and Nathan Peterman 2: Electric Pick-sixaloo. Hopefully they don't trade up to 5 to pick Josh Allen.
Other than the obvious, we bizarrely purged our roster of wide receivers and corners, so we need those. Also linebackers. Also a center.

Hopes for 2018:
I don't know, it's probably too much to ask, but it would be cool if we not only made the playoffs, but scored more than 3 points in them. Like, 7? Baby steps.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Tennessee

Negatives: our coaching was pretty loving terrible and our offensive scheme was laughable. Matt cassel started a game. Our wide recievers didn't play well the playoffs. On the subject of laughable offensive schemes:

http://m.titansonline.com/video/videos/Terry-Robiskie-on-Play-Calling-Philosophy-/cc8d2be0-9d46-4ec0-8e05-c6618aed408e

Positives: we fired the bad coaches and hired an modern offensive coordinator, yay! We won an exciting playoff game, yay! We didn't completely embarass ourselves against the patriots, yay! We swept indy and jacksonville too. Yay.

Most disappointing player would be between eric decker and corey davis. I think CD showed what he can be against oakland and new England, and with actual training camp and practice time he'll be good to go. So I'll go with decker who had the great td against kc and was otherwise a total nonentity.

I was pleasantly surprised by wes woodyard and adoree jackson, who i expected to be a lot rawer. He progressed well as the season went along.

Best moments are mariotas touchdown to himself and mariota stiff arming barry church into the dirt to clinch a playoff spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dud1tXbCZKU

We need linebackers and edge rushers in the draft. Another wr to replace decker at the back of the WR room and insurance for jack conklin.

Hopefully in 2018 we win the division and marcus gets back to ballin. Also i hope the new unis are good and powerful and do not have a flaming thumbtack on them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Team: Eagles

What sucked:
For all that went well this year, we had a lot of injuries that really sucked, losing Peters, Sproles, Maragos, Hicks & Wentz was probably the only real downpoint of the year.

What was good:
I dont know if you guys heard, but we kinda WON THE loving SUPERBOWL

Torrey Smith I guess, no one really expected him to do much but he dropped quite a lot of balls and was easily the worst reciever.

Unexpectedly good:
Nelson Agholor, holy poo poo did this guy learn how to ball the gently caress out. Honorary shout outs go to Corey Clement and Jake Elliot, both these guys came out of nowhere to stamp their marks on this team.

Best moment:

Regular season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8geJp5mVLA

Playoffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJazsmpWuc

Superbowl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XmhBaUdges

Draft needs:
Corner, probably linebacker. Maybe WR

Hopes for 2018:
I really dont know how we can top last year. Our D is stacked as gently caress and our offense looks really good. The only concern is if Wentz does an RG3 and can never recover fully from his injury, but I hope that wont happen. I think first round bye is what the expectations should be for us this season. The NFC is looking stacked and I would say we are probably the top (maybe 2nd behind the Rams) team going into this season so lots of expectations on a team that can no longer really call themselves "underdogs" anymore.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 31, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Team: Detroit Lions

What Sucked: Defense was a trash fire, especially after Haloti Ngata went down in Week 5. Running game was abysmal, earning the fewest yards and yards per attempt in the league. The offensive line was plagued with injuries, including a shoulder injury to LT Taylor Decker the first day of training camp that forced the Lions to start Greg 'godawful' Robinson for most of the first half of the season. Lost out on a playoff spot thanks to a 10 second runoff from Week 3. Jim Caldwell was Jim Caldwell.

What Was Good: Matthew Stafford was paid $135 million dollars and played like it, achieving career highs in passer rating (99.3) and AY/A (8.1) in spite of zero support from the aforementioned garbage running game and patchwork offensive line. It helped, of course, that his receivers (Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, and rookie Kenny Golladay) were great, and made the most of every opportunity they got the ball in their hands. The defense overall may have been bad, but the secondary was good thanks to players like Glover Quin and Darius Slay (The latter of which earned a trip to the Pro Bowl). Also, Matt Prater continues to own, and Jim Caldwell was fired.

Most Disappointing Player: Probably have to go with Greg Robinson. As mentioned the Lions picked him up from the Rams when Taylor Decker had a shoulder injury on the first day of training camp, and it was hoped that in spite of his struggles in LA he'd benefit from the change in scenery and make for an adequate replacement until Decker recovered. This... did not happen, and Robinson was replaced as a starter by something called a 'Brian Mihalik' before finally getting cut after Decker came back.

Unexpectedly Good:: Jamal Agnew was drafted in the 5th round and started the season as the Lions' punt returner. He proceeded to ball the gently caress out, leading the league in punt return yards (Despite missing three games to injury), average yards (Beating the next-highest player by a whopping three yards per return) and scoring two punt return touchdowns, the only player in the league last year to do so. As a result he was a first-team All Pro, the first Lions rookie to achieve the honor since Ndomukong Suh in 2010.

Best Moment: The Lions swept the Packers for the first time since 1991, and capped off a meaningless-yet cathartic game with a hilarious trick play that the Eagles would later go on to use in the Superbowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CX8BTzu7vI

(I also have a soft spot for Agnew's second punt return TD, since I was at that game and went absolutely nuts)

Draft Needs: Talent on the defensive line, depth on the offensive line, maybe a running back.

Hopes for 2018: It's Matt Patricia's first year as head coach, so there's a lot of unknowns. Personally, I'm hoping for a strong showing in the division, crossing my fingers for a playoff appearance, not daring to think about a playoff win, and praying for a running game that doesn't completely suck.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 31, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Team: San Francisco

Record: 6-10

What sucked: Jimmy G cost us a bit in terms of draft position.

What was good: Jimmy G.

Most disappointing player: Not Jimmy G.

Unexpectedly good: Jimmy G.

Best moment: Jimmy G.

Draft needs: An O-line to protect Jimmy G.

Hopes for 2018: That the Rams' D doesn't kill Jimmy G and that the curse of trading with the Pats doesn't come back to haunt us.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears suck.

They will probably continue to suck.

My prediction: 75% of Bears fans continue to think his name is Trubinsky

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

CyberPingu posted:

What sucked:
For all that went well this year, we had a lot of injuries that really sucked, losing Peters, Sproles, Maragos, Hicks & Wentz was probably the only real downpoint of the year.

What was good:

Torrey Smith I guess, no one really expected him to do much but he dropped quite a lot of balls and was easily the worst reciever.

Unexpectedly good:
Nelson Agholor, holy poo poo did this guy learn how to ball the gently caress out. Honorary shout outs go to Corey Clement and Jake Elliot, both these guys came out of nowhere to stamp their marks on this team.

Best moment:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

Superbowl:

Draft needs:

Hopes for 2018:
I really dont know how we can top last year. Our D is stacked as gently caress and our offense looks really good. The only concern is if Wentz does an RG3 and can never recover fully from his injury, but I hope that wont happen. I think first round bye is what the expectations should be for us this season. The NFC is looking stacked and I would say we are probably the top (maybe 2nd behind the Rams) team going into this season so lots of expectations on a team that can no longer really call themselves "underdogs" anymore.

I started a post for this hours ago and this is almost exactly what I was going to say. Could play devil's advocate for Foles as unexpectedly good but Foles had success previously whereas I was totally done with Agholor prior to this season. The change in him from last season was night and day.

Philly is looking pretty good going into the draft. They're looking good at most positions and nobody they acquire now necessarily has to start. They can aim for depth and not worry too much about anything else.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Team: Carolina Panthers

Record: 7-...Wait, 11-5? loving how?

What sucked: Cam and the defense had to corpse drag an offense devoid of talent. Lost a game while only allowing 3 points on defense. Mike Shula. Christian McCaffrey up the midde for no gain.

What was good: Julius Peppers still plays like a first ballot hall of famer. McCaffrey catches the ball really well. Mike Shula got fired. Our DC performed well enough to get poached for a head coaching job again.

Most disappointing player: Matt Kalil. Expectations were middling at best but holy poo poo, for $10 Million a year you should at least occasionally get in the way of a defensive end. You definitely should be good enough that there's no speculation that your team will look for a left tackle in the draft after the first year of your contract.

Unexpectedly good: Julius Peppers. I expected Peppers to be a rotational piece that would account for a few sacks and close out his career where it began. Instead he lead the team in sacks while playing injured most of the year and was a force to be reckoned with.

Best Moment:

Honestly I don't remember too many good moments. It was pretty boring for an 11-5 season. I remember a lot of frustration with play calling though.

Draft Needs: Defensive End, Safety, Receiver, Corner, maybe Tackle or Guard?

Hopes for 2018: Cam gets healthy and gets his arm strength back. Norv Turner knows how to use a small elusive back and gets the most out of CMC. A true number 1 receiver emerges. Peppers doesn't drop off. A good draft and another solid season. Beating the loving Saints. Putting together the first back to back winning seasons in franchise history.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

zimbomonkey posted:

Team: Carolina Panthers

Record: 7-...Wait, 11-5? loving how?

What sucked: Cam and the defense had to corpse drag an offense devoid of talent. Lost a game while only allowing 3 points on defense. Mike Shula. Christian McCaffrey up the midde for no gain.

What was good: Julius Peppers still plays like a first ballot hall of famer. McCaffrey catches the ball really well. Mike Shula got fired. Our DC performed well enough to get poached for a head coaching job again.

Most disappointing player: Matt Kalil. Expectations were middling at best but holy poo poo, for $10 Million a year you should at least occasionally get in the way of a defensive end. You definitely should be good enough that there's no speculation that your team will look for a left tackle in the draft after the first year of your contract.

Unexpectedly good: Julius Peppers. I expected Peppers to be a rotational piece that would account for a few sacks and close out his career where it began. Instead he lead the team in sacks while playing injured most of the year and was a force to be reckoned with.

Best Moment:

Honestly I don't remember too many good moments. It was pretty boring for an 11-5 season. I remember a lot of frustration with play calling though.

Draft Needs: Defensive End, Safety, Receiver, Corner, maybe Tackle or Guard?

Hopes for 2018: Cam gets healthy and gets his arm strength back. Norv Turner knows how to use a small elusive back and gets the most out of CMC. A true number 1 receiver emerges. Peppers doesn't drop off. A good draft and another solid season. Beating the loving Saints. Putting together the first back to back winning seasons in franchise history.

Best moment for the Panthers surely was Cam calling out Matthews on knowing what play they were running then doing the football varient of a teabag.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bears suck.

They will probably continue to suck.

My prediction: 75% of Bears fans continue to think his name is Trubinsky

Look at this guy, clearly doesn't read the Bears reddit. Trubinsky is leading us to the promised land please do more research and watch game tape in the future before posting.

E; Something something FTP

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

CyberPingu posted:

Best moment for the Panthers surely was Cam calling out Matthews on knowing what play they were running then doing the football varient of a teabag.

Wait gently caress yes this was awesome.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Team: San Francisco

Record: 5-0

Ftfy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Team: Da Bears

Record: 5-11

What sucked:
The organization is rotten from the top down, starting with the decomposing senile old lady who inherited the franchise in the middle ages. Ryan Pace has been an average GM, traded up for no reason and drafted a middling QB, then wasted an entire year's development with a completely checked out, ancient coach.

What was good:
Defense keeps slowly getting better, meaning it'll regress when Fangio gets poached by another team. Jordan Howard still looks good, so that's something.

By all rights it should be Trubisky, who was the worst long term starter of any franchise other than Kizer on the Browns. But with such a bad coaching staff it's hard to blame him, so let's go with Kevin White who remains on pace to be the all time biggest draft bust in franchise history.

Unexpectedly good:
Tarik Cohen, Eddie Jackson and Adrian Amos. Not great, but showed plenty of flashes and Jackson straight up won the game against the Panthers.

Best moment:
John Fox special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKMAgmVhY1E
Ball at the 1, challenges, gets changed into a touchback and awarded to the other team. Great job John Fox. I'm glad you had the worst all time coaching record (% wise) in franchise history. Good stuff.

Draft needs:
Edge rusher, WR, LT, CB

Hopes for 2018:
They're in a bad draft spot for what they need and what's available. Best case is keeping the defense in the top 10 and having the new coaching kick the offense into higher gear. Which'll get them to like...8-8. I don't foresee any way they aren't last in the division and realistically they'll just muddle along for 3-4 years and switch GMs again with a 100 year old senile and dementiaed lich queen calling the shots

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Team: Detroit Lions

Best Moment: The Lions swept the Packers for the first time since 1991, and capped off a meaningless-yet cathartic game with a hilarious trick play that the Eagles would later go on to use in the Superbowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CX8BTzu7vI

That's a good shot of the ref watching Stafford launch the ball into the stands and just going "Well that's not coming back" and walking away.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Team: Green Bay Packers

Record: 7-9

What sucked:

What was good:
Aaron Jones showed potential to be truly great, and Montgomery/Williams look to be more than adequate, solving the Packers' chronic inconsistencies at running back. Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark turned out to be one of the top DT pairs in the league. Blake Martinez finally gives the Packers a solid, consistent presence at inside linebacker, something they've been lacking for far too many years. Davante Adam put together a good season despite concussions and despite Hundley. We swept the Bears. Dom Capers was fired.

Brett Hundley came off three years of "Wow, he looks great in the preseason, he must really be progressing well in McCarthy's system," and delivered a performance sufficient to crown him worst starting QB in the league. Somehow, despite this, the Packers managed to scrape out three wins with him, keeping fans' hopes alive for Rodgers to return from injury and run the table a la 2016. This did not happen.

Unexpectedly good:
The Packers backup OL. After yet another season of chronic injuries to our starters, Justin McCray and company filled in and occasionally did more than adequately. Unfortunately this was largely overshadowed by Hundley's performance and injuries to our running backs.

Best moment:

Draft needs:
Pass rusher, linebacker, cornerback, depth at tight end / wide receiver. The Packers are in a position to either aggressively trade up and grab one of the best available defensive players aside from Chubb, or to stay put and then trade back into the first round (a la 2009 when the Packers took BJ Raji then traded back into the first for Clay Matthews). Clay Matthews is getting old and will retire within a few seasons, so it's time to draft his heir apparent. Martinez has played great at ILB but picking up a linebacker who can more consistently drop into coverage would round out the current corps well.

Hopes for 2018:
After cleaning house (firing Capers, forcing Ted into retirement, and turning over a good portion of our secondary along with letting Jordy Nelson go) everyone's anticipating a renewed, fresh Green Bay Packers with a healthy Rodgers at the helm. We hope that:
  • Mo Wilkerson finds renewed motivation playing under Mike Pettine and alongside Daniels/Clark, and the Packers generate one of the scariest defensive lines in the league after the Rams and Eagles.
  • The improved defensive line combined with Pettine actually having schemes appropriate to 2018 trickles down to the rest of the defense, and pass rushing and coverage improve significantly. As Daniels steps up further as leader of the defense, they discover fire and toughness.
  • Rodgers returns to form and assembles another great season of firing lasers to Davante Adams, Jimmy Graham, and Randall Cobb, assisted by the return of OC Joe Philbin, who helped to engineer the legendary 2011 offense.
  • The Packers don't choke yet again on the brink of going to the Super Bowl.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CyberPingu posted:

As a fan of the losing side there, that was still fantastic.

"You've been watchin' film, huh? That's cool, watch this."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It was unquestionably one of the coolest things that happened last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jPbIfg8yxs

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

What sucked:

What was good:

Unexpectedly good:

Best moment:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

Superbowl:

Draft needs:

Hopes for 2018:

This is the exact post I would've made. I think the defended 2-pt conversion during the NFC Divisional game was pretty awesome too.

Linebacker and OL are probably our biggest needs right now but even then the team is still well-positioned for next year.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Team: Seattle Seahawks

What sucked:
There was a lot of sucking in unsatisfying familiar ways. OL whisperer Tom Cable continued to demonstrate why he is one of the best in the league at maintaining employment despite performance. The run game was LEGENDARY-ly bad. So bad. I know people who dont follow the seahawks think they know what a bad run game looks like but seriously. It was bad. There were 4(!) rushing TD's all year. 4. Do you know how many were from running backs? One. A single TD from running backs. Our leading rusher and leader in rushing TD's was the QB. It was so bad. Watching the Seahawks trying to run the ball was like having a freaky friday with this guy

Also bad: Kicking cost us several games. It was weird, honestly that this team could have very realistically been 11-5 despite being mostly lovely. Poor coaching/game management e.g. that insanely stupid 4th down conversion attempt in the falcons game where there was 7 secs left on the clock before half and it would have been like a 47 yd field goal. I think pete and co lost their trust of the team at times and just tried too hard to sneak around that lack of trust instead of just taking the obvious try.

Defense was struck by injury bug and while still played fairly well just couldn't close a bunch of games (looking at you washington game). That was also kind of weird coming back to earth moment of the season where you could no longer kind of just count out a team like the washington team when you are up and there is under 2 mins left.

What was good:
Tom Cable's luck ran out. His apologist looked stupid. Russell wilson lead the league in passing TD's and had something like 90% of all seahawks points scored. This team would have only beaten the 49ers without wilson. Wilson loving rules even if he holds on to the ball way too long. Also good: Shaq Griffin looks decent at min. I am kind of happy that Walsh didn't make those kicks and the team missed the playoffs. The seahawks would have been bounced from the playoffs like the 2016 Lions. Sad! Anyway finishing 9-7 and missing the playoffs kind of opened the door to the house cleaning and reset of the team. Which is actually kind of exciting!! There is still a core of good players, big name big personalities have left and we will just have to see if someone fills that void. I have no idea if the team will ever regain the swag and ability of those great hawk teams but at least I know tom cable wont be blowing smoke up our asses and if Pete's style of coaching was no longer working with players who have achieved the highest heights of the sports at least it might work again for young guys with something to prove.

Blair Walsh. Jesus Christ. I did not exactly have high hopes or anything just average expectations that most under 50 yd kicks will be made. Seriously at least -2 wins this year because of Walsh.

Unexpectedly good:
Rookie CB Griffin had the trial by fire and while he was not a world beater was actually pretty good IMO. Also the whole defense without most of their trademark best players really showed that, while not the all-world 2013 seahawks, was definitely pretty decent which gives me hope that more practice time together the defense can improve.

Best moment:
End of the Texans game. I was at that game and there was a really vocal Texans fan behind us talking poo poo the whole game. It was a really exciting game through and through but the game winning TD to Jimmy was an awesome thing to experience first hand and was so deflating to annoying texans dude that I did not even talk poo poo back.

Draft needs:
Pass Rush, Safety help, Running Back (!), OL (always), and possibly DB if all those other late round from last years draft DB's suck

Hopes for 2018:

For the first time in like 7 years it feels like a mostly new team. Excited to see if they are able to step up from 9-7. NFC west is suddenly looking more competitive. I think the Seahawks can still make the playoffs next year, but not feeling super strong about winning NFC West, though I do think it is possible. We had a change to take the lead from the Rams towards the end of the season last year. I also hope that the Rams implode in a hilarious (non-injurious way) Seriously, hope the rams suck. gently caress the rams.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Team: Los Angeles Rams

Record: 11-5

What sucked:
The playoff loss to Atlanta, 2 really stupid fumbles snowballed with other mistakes by the end and the Rams laid a big turd on the field by the end

What was good:
Sean McVay and Wade Phillips have given the Rams their best coaching in 20 years
Jared Goff looked like a real quarterback
They won the division and made the playoffs for the first time in 13 years
Number 32 last year in offense to number 1 this year
Todd Gurley had an MVP caliber season
Aaron Donald

Sammy Watkins, I still wanted him to stick around though

Unexpectedly good:
The entire team, I had them pegged for another losing season and they completely blew me away all season

Best moment:
Beating the Seahawks in Seattle week 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJr-Wo6T0Y

Draft needs:
WR, LB, Depth/Future O-Line starters

Hopes for 2018:
Making the playoffs with an actual playoff win this year. Rams completely redid the offense last year and are bringing back pretty much everyone, but Watkins and Matt LaFleur, they should be as good or better next year with the continued development of Goff. They are going all in on this defense this year with Wade Phillips asking they focus on acquiring better corners which Les Snead did at the expense of losing linebackers. Suh will be great next to Donald. NFC West could be really competitive with the emergence of Jimmy G, RWBS and maybe Sam Bradford being good and playing a full season? The NFC as a whole will be a bloodbath this year.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Team: Atlanta Falcons

Record: 10-6, 3rd Place in the NFCS :laffo:

What sucked:
The offense. Steve Sarkisian was a huge part of the blame for sure, but Falcon pass catchers forgot how to catch. Interception after interception off the hands (and butts) of Falcon receivers. Costly penalty after costly penalty negating turnovers, 4th downs, etc. Dumb play calls and injuries to Freeman and offensive linemen all played a part in a pretty ugly offensive showing in 2017 for this team.

What really sucked was the Keanu Neal should have been interception at the end of the first half of the Eagles game. In true Falcon fashion, the ball bounced off his knee about 15 yards into Torrey Smith's awaiting hands and he was able to get down with enough time for a last second field goal that ultimately proved to be some huge points in that win for them.

What was good:
The defense improved overall, more pressure from up front.

Vic Beasley. Wasn't doing all that great before Duke Riley went down and the team switched him to OLB which was an awful decision. This year they are moving him back to DE exclusively.

Unexpectedly good:
Draft superstar Takk McKinley is going to be a monster in this league y'all.

Best moment:
Deion Jones intercepting Drew Brees to ice the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QkFI7Y-Yg

Draft needs:
DT,LB,TE,WR. Some are more pressing than others of course, there is a giant hole next to Grady Jarrett so they will most assuradly be going DT with their first round selection. LB corps are thin, hopefully Duke pans out which would make this less of a need. I still think TE is a need, some others do not however, and that WR3 spot that Gabriel's departure left will need to be filled.

Hopes for 2018:
I just hope the offense can come around and that last year was just a blip on the radar and not a trend for a Steve Sarkisian offense. I'm not optimistic.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Team: Los Angeles Chargers

Record: 9-7, 2nd in the AFC West

What Sucked: Woo boy the kickers they trotted out early were terrible. A large part of why the Chargers started 0-4 this year is because Younghoe Koo whiffed on, consecutively, a game tying and game winning FG in back to back weeks. They went through something like 4 last year due to performance & injury. None of that would've mattered as much if this team didn't poo poo themselves against the Chiefs both times. The Chargers finished last year only giving up the ball 15 times, good for 4th in the league and way better than in the last 3 years. The problem? 7 of them came against the Chiefs in both of those games. And it's not exactly like the Chiefs' defense was any good last year.

Also they lost their first two draft picks to, in order, a back injury and a torn up knee. It sucks especially because i'm pretty sure if they drafted Lattimore - which they were well in position to do - instead of Mike Williams, that's probably the difference in making them a playoff team.

The good: Anthony Lynn grew a lot as a coach over the year. He made a lot of fairly poor clock management errors that gradually corrected themselves as the season went on, and overall the team played a hell of a lot more motivated than they had under McCoy. Lynn and the coaching staff showed a lot of aptitude for adjusting over the season - forcefeeding the running game wasn't working out because of their weaknesses at the interior o-line, so they reoriented the offense more around Rivers to Allen and Henry and it worked out well. Gordon had his best season despite the o-line being overall not good at run blocking and made big strides as a receiver and pass blocker. Austin Ekeler showed a lot of flashes this year, and Henry is gonna be the next mainstay TE for the Chargers for a very long time if he stays healthy. As poor as they were at run blocking, the Chargers also had probably their best pass blocking o-line in a long time - Rivers was sacked a career low 18 times.

Defensively they finally shifted to a 4-3 like they've needed to do for loving years and it paid off handsomely; Bosa and Ingram are one of the best pass rushing duos in the league, even if they wore down slightly toward the end. Chris McCain flashed quite a bit as a situation 3rd down rusher. There's room for improvement, of course, but overall this is by far the best pass rush they've had since the Merriman/Phillips days, and overall as a defense they were stout in the red zone. LBs were hit and miss due to Perryman battling injuries throughout the year but he played really well when he was on the field. The secondary played outstanding for most of the season - Hayward is a top 10 CB and when Jason Verrett went down again, they plugged in Trevor Williams and didn't miss a beat. Dez King flashed a lot as a nickle CB, Tre Boston played well as a FS. Even Addae, who I normally dislike a ton, put together a decent year.

Best moment. probably shutting out the Broncos 21-0 after they've stomped on us for years, or shutting the Cowboys down completely on Thanksgiving. Both were the most complete games they've played in a long, long time.

Draft needs:
DT, LB, and RT. As well as the defense played last year, Mebane is on his last legs and Liuget is best suited for limited snap duty. They struggled against the run last year so if they can get a really solid run stuffing DT who can apply some heat on the QB - not even a ton, just a dude who's a threat to an opposing offense every so often - this defense is going to be one of the top groups in the league. Adding a 3-down LB couldn't possibly hurt anything either.

Hopes for 2018

Wants are simple: get into the playoffs and beat the loving Chiefs for the first time in forever. Anything else is gravy.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Team: Tennessee Titans

They won a playoff game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Team: New York Giants

Record: 3-13

What sucked:
What didn't?

What was good:
Bad coaches got fired at least

Probably Brandon Marshall, for the 5 games he was alive

Unexpectedly good:
Ereck Flowers actually quietly improved over the year, but no one noticed. Maybe not good, but this is relatively speaking.

Best moment:
Not having to look at Ben McAdoo's hair anymore after he got fired

Draft needs:
Everything except TE and WR if Beckham sticks around. This includes punters and kickers.

Hopes for 2018:
Eli gets a decent swan song instead of a garbage pile

• Locked thread