Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
I have never actually played through a Paper Mario game. Yeah I know I probably should have. I've only really played Super Mario RPG. Can't emulate it right now even if I was willing to bother with emulating so don't bother telling me to do so. I can't afford any other paper mario game on the VC atm so don't bother telling me to get another Paper Mario game either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

well, from what you say, it sounds like you should buy paper mario 64

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
okay. thanks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean if you have any interest in it and have the time and money to play it, why not? Its hard to recommend someone play a game if they don't say anything about their interests though. The first Paper Mario is a really easy and simple JRPG so its only worth playing if you enjoy the art design and writing, both of which are pretty good. So if you like that sort of thing then yeah, play it.

Though I guess its worth mentioning that TTYD basically improves on everything from the first game, but its almost impossible to play a legit copy of it these days. It was only on the gamecube and had no remakes or virtual console releases. If you don't want to emulate it then there's no way to play it without having a gamecube lying around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

follow your heart

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Paper Mario is the Bees Knees.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yes and then emulate the sequel, op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the first paper mario is pretty good but also pretty slow

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
I'm really enjoying this. I'm starting chapter 3. It's been a bit more challenging than I expected. I can't just breeze through it without any strategy whatsoever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, the customization of mario/his partners is pretty cool in a way. it's not super hard but it does have a bit of bite to it for a mario rpg. bow is kinda op though, when you get her

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they used some of the sounds from Ocarina of Time like the bomb fuse/blast and wolf

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

invest in badge points imo

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Zas posted:

invest in badge points imo

And don't waste them all on HP/FP-Up badges. Equiping one of those badges cost as much exp. as just upgrading the stat twice as much as the bagde would give you.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Alan 00X posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they used some of the sounds from Ocarina of Time like the bomb fuse/blast and wolf

As much as I'd like everyone to be Mythbusters, I suppose Nintendo can't blow up a bomb and record it each time they make a game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i cut this out when i was a kid and carried it around with me for a while

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017

Pneub posted:

And don't waste them all on HP/FP-Up badges. Equiping one of those badges cost as much exp. as just upgrading the stat twice as much as the bagde would give you.

yeah, fortunately I was aware of this already. I did spend one upgrade on HP though because this is my first playthrough and I thought I might need a little extra HP. I'm feeling pretty light on FP though

edit: wait huh? At this point I get 5 HP/FP and 3BP per level. The HP/FP plus badges cost 3BP and increase those stats by 5 so I'm a little confused about what you're trying to say

Alan 00X fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 3, 2018

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
I seem to be having trouble on bouncing on more than two enemies with the action command with the multibounce technique after getting the boots upgrade and spin jump (aka butt stomp). It's like mario refuses to bounce on a third enemy and just decides to do a spin jump on the second enemy no matter when I press A. I do have the dodge master badge equipped but I don't see why that would lock me out of getting more than two consecutive jumps unless it's a glitch.

edit: NEVERMIND I am dumb, I just hadn't gotten the hang of the timing change

Alan 00X fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 3, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharrrk posted:

i cut this out when i was a kid and carried it around with me for a while

i think i taped it to my door?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Alan 00X posted:

I've only really played Super Mario RPG.

I was reminded of this commercial so now you all have to be as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k48m-LOvkUo

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
Killer Penis Fly Traps? I don't remember that enemy

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Alan 00X posted:

yeah, fortunately I was aware of this already. I did spend one upgrade on HP though because this is my first playthrough and I thought I might need a little extra HP. I'm feeling pretty light on FP though

edit: wait huh? At this point I get 5 HP/FP and 3BP per level. The HP/FP plus badges cost 3BP and increase those stats by 5 so I'm a little confused about what you're trying to say

I remembered them taking more slots. Anyway, if you need more hp/fp, you might as well just upgrade them permenently.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Isn't there a guy that can switch around your level up bonuses?

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
Holy poo poo this game was amazing! Totally worth it. I'm on my 3rd playthrough with 5HP until I had to level up HP as a danger mode Mario. Was a blast until I had to level up HP finally lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
god dammit. breaking 10 hp ruined my game lol

• Locked thread