Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ah so down, negligibly. hard to attribute that to rising drink costs

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

thatfatkid posted:

In a world where the fat acceptance movement exists, fatshaming is not only good but is a moral duty.

wonderful name post combo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sorry to intrude on the fatophobia, just come back to this for a second: do you remember a government that, oh not long ago*, was trying to legislate a way of forcing organizations that acted politically (*cough* GetUp! *cough*) to obey restrictions on donations and AEC reporting?

quote:

Special Minister of State Mathias Cormann said the bill was modelled on overseas precedents and the design was necessary to stop foreigners "channelling" money into Australian politics through alternative means. He said the number of charities actually affected would be "very small" and rejected the IPA's characterisation of the bill as burdensome.

"The new rules are proportionate, necessary and apply to all relevant political actors equally," Senator Cormann told Fairfax Media. "The integrity, real and perceived, of Australia's electoral system is critical to our system of government."

* January.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tried to write a big post about the obesity epidemic. Deleted it in frustration. It's such a wretched situation and it's just all hosed. We obviously can't continue to do nothing but the science is evolving and has been misrepresented by vested interests, policy measures internationally are too young to get meaningful data from. Once you're obese, it's extremely uncommon to get back to a healthy weight. This is going to get so much worse before it gets better.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

bell jar posted:

i'd like to see any info that shows alcohol consumption in this country going anything but up

In all fairness, being as drunk as possible as often as possible is a rational response to living in Australia in 2018.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i keep trying to lose weight but it seems to be incompatible with my life of being stoned 24x7 :popcorn:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It probably would never happen but I'd love if a sugar tax came in and the proceeds were directed towards subsidising healthier foods. If fruit and veg were cheaper than chips and soft drink you'd hope the sugar tax's impact on the poor would be balanced out. It wouldn't stop some people from just paying more for Coke but that's going to happen with any regressive tax, look at alcohol and cigarettes as we've discussed.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It wouldn't stop some people from just paying more for Coke but that's going to happen with any regressive tax,
so the people who are most addicted to [thing] are the ones who get made poorest

some policies are so far removed from humanity it becomes a game of Goon Or Politician

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It probably would never happen but I'd love if a sugar tax came in and the proceeds were directed towards subsidising healthier foods. If fruit and veg were cheaper than chips and soft drink you'd hope the sugar tax's impact on the poor would be balanced out. It wouldn't stop some people from just paying more for Coke but that's going to happen with any regressive tax, look at alcohol and cigarettes as we've discussed.

I mean it's getting ridiculous, there's so much sugar in homebrand minced garlic that I'm not sure what they're going for, it's certainly not about garlic.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jonah Galtberg posted:

so the people who are most addicted to [thing] are the ones who get made poorest

some policies are so far removed from humanity it becomes a game of Goon Or Politician

Aside from state sponsored sugar addiction programs I'm not sure what other levers a government could pull

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
new thread fuckos

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855699

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I can definitely get on board with cheaper healthy produce, i could get on board with govt regulations ensuring that fast food serves don't exceed a given caloric amount. i could definitely get on board with ensuring that companies don't misrepresent their serving sizes on nutritional labels, and make them list the nutritional content of the entire packet, etc

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

bell jar posted:

i keep trying to lose weight but it seems to be incompatible with my life of being stoned 24x7 :popcorn:

Counterpoint: working out while stoned is cool as hell

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Looks like Pell is going to have to dip into those Vatican coffers for his defence.

Does the ACL protect parishioners so they can recover donations to the collection plate of the local diocese for any funds used to fight these charges?

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 1, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ewe2 posted:

I mean it's getting ridiculous, there's so much sugar in homebrand minced garlic that I'm not sure what they're going for, it's certainly not about garlic.

Buy cloves you bloody dingus.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Obesity education should be a major part of the school curriculum for a start. Maybe it is these days, but I learned nothing about nutrition and it wasnt until I got into weight lifting that I educated myself.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Nibbles! posted:

Obesity education should be a major part of the school curriculum for a start. Maybe it is these days, but I learned nothing about nutrition and it wasnt until I got into weight lifting that I educated myself.

You say that, but I also learned a lot about recycling, composting, walking/cycling instead of driving and how meat is bad for the environment... Only to be driven home, toss things into the bin without considering if it could be recycled or composted and fed a roast for dinner.

I feel like schools aren't equipped for this, you need a direct intervention with the people in charge and making decisions in the kids life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gently caress off we're full

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855699&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

• Locked thread