Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've been feeling rather flammable recently, so I thought I ought to improve my home safety and would appreciate some advice (I know this forum has a lot of firefighters, pyromaniacs and pyromaniac firefighters).

My home isn't particularly at risk and my basic strategy is 'get out and phone the emergency services, then my insurance company'
My files/docs are in a fireproof box
I have a hardwired smoke alarm that covers my exit route.

The only real risks are cooking or electrical failure.
I have a 1sqm fire blanket for cooking fires, but I think perhaps I should supplant that with a small extinguisher, just to stop a small fire from getting worse (as opposed to blowing on it and flapping my hands ineffectually).

So I guess the questions are dry powder versus foam? What capacity (1kg or 2kg)?
Anything else that I haven't thought of?

Feel free to add your own requests/situations to this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors around places where people sleep.

It's good to have a fire extinguisher on every level of a home in an easy to reach spot.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Aside from having a fire extinguisher on hand (which reminds me I need to pick one up as my current rental place has none) you'll want to create and possibly drill a "60 second escape plan" in the event of fire or other household disasters. Make sure all family members are included and are aware of exactly what they should do in the event of an emergency.

Annually at my house we all sit down and discuss the following:

Where all of the exits are, including possible emergency exits if one of the primary exits is blocked (first floor windows, etc)
What to do with pets / important documents / items
What actions are acceptable to attempt as far as fighting the fire ourselves (extinguishers and etc)
Where to meet up afterwards

Be sure that everyone understands that the first priority is getting out and making sure everyone is accounted for. Understand that everything in the action plan must be completed in under 60 seconds. The reason for this is 60 seconds is generally the amount of time it takes between a smoke alarm going off and a room being completely engulfed in flames. Any individual step of this plan should take maybe 10 seconds.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Zogo posted:

I don't have gas, so I don't need these (apart from protection against flatulence) but that's a good idea and reminded me to check the back-up batteries in my smoke alarm.

Tristesse posted:

Aside from having a fire extinguisher on hand (which reminds me I need to pick one up as my current rental place has none) you'll want to create and possibly drill a "60 second escape plan" in the event of fire or other household disasters.

That sounded a bit over the top when I first read it but I very quickly realised that I have made a lot of assumptions about others knowing what to do with my explicitly instructing them.
I will draw the line at using a flip chart though.

Anyone got opinions extinguishers?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

spog posted:

Anyone got opinions extinguishers?

ABC dry chemical 1kg extinguishers cover a lot of things and are easy to carry around and handle.

Some may find it difficult to move around quickly with ones heavier than 1kg so if you get a big/heavy one don't expect to be using it too far from where it's stationed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zogo posted:

It's good to have a fire extinguisher on every level of a home in an easy to reach spot.

The single most important place to have an extinguisher is by the stove. If you put one anywhere put it there.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Powder extinguisher covers all kinds of fires (ABC) as mentioned. Also it works to fend off potential burglars.

They only need to be replaced every 10 years. Just make sure to turn it upside down once a year so the powder don't all stick to the bottom. Buy from a good brand.

Fire blankets are also good to have just in case for smaller fires. It all depends on the size of your place of living.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Zogo posted:

ABC dry chemical 1kg extinguishers cover a lot of things and are easy to carry around and handle.

von Braun posted:

Powder extinguisher covers all kinds of fires (ABC) as mentioned. Also it works to fend off potential burglars.

I appreciate the recommendation, but I am slightly hesitant because dry powder is no longer recommended for residential use in the UK

quote:

Powder Fire Extinguishers, such as ABC powder extinguishers or dry powder extinguishers, are suitable for fighting class A,B and C fires. ABC powder extinguishers have a very good fire fighting capacity, but the powder does not soak into materials and does not have a good cooling effect on the fire. This can result in the fire re-igniting, if it is not properly extinguished. Care must be taken when using powder extinguishers that you do not inhale the powder. Powder extinguishers should therefore not be used in small, confined spaces where there is a risk of inhaling the powder. In fact the British Standard does not allow powder extinguishers in offices and living accommodations any longer. The clean up after applying a powder extinguisher is also very difficult and the powder causes damage to soft furnishing, carpets and computer drives etc. So a careful balance has to be struck between the generally quite cheap but powerful powder extinguishers and the cleaner, but less powerful and sometimes more expensive foam / water (with additive) extinguishers.
https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/fire-extinguishers/

I'm not really worried about damage given that 'being on fire' is worst that 'being powdery' but the inhalation risk concerns me?

Think I should use powder anyway, or get foam?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Foam works very well as a home extinguisher, but you have to change it each 5 years. If you are not worried about ruining something in your home, go for it.

The company I worked with in fire-safety only supplied 6 liter foam extinguishers as the smallest, though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

von Braun posted:

Foam works very well as a home extinguisher, but you have to change it each 5 years. If you are not worried about ruining something in your home, go for it.

The company I worked with in fire-safety only supplied 6 liter foam extinguishers as the smallest, though.

Sorry I wasn't clear - powder is not recommended any more due to damage and inhalation issues. I don't care about the damage issue - if my place is on fire, I want it out and don't care about the clean-up.

The recommendation is foam, but suggests you need a bigger one, though doesn't suggest what size.

Would still suggest 1kg powder is still the best option for me? You seem to be a fan and I'll listen to your suggestion.

(I have a blanket for the cooking oil fires)

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Powder is smaller, you don't need to replace it often and easier and quicker. Just aim and fire (hehhehe) and *POOF* the powder will spread everywhere in an instant.

It's what my company always recommended for households every time someone called and wanted to bu one, since you don't have to worry about replacing it in 10 years time which is an ease of mind.

Like you said, with foam you will need a bigger one which is a lot heavier than a 1kg powder. Almost all stores and bigger offices have 6 liter foam since the fire can spread faster and easier in those places (like a clothes store) so those extinguishers lasts longer when used and you have more leeway.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I think the question he's worried about is, how bad is a powder extinguisher likely to gently caress up his lungs if he has to use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Thuryl posted:

I think the question he's worried about is, how bad is a powder extinguisher likely to gently caress up his lungs if he has to use it?

I mean, basic internet research says don't loving stick around and breathe in the powder. Don't eat the powder. Wear a mask when you clean the powder. If you do these things, you'll be fine. It seems like foam extinguishers run several times as much as a powder and may be less effective. If you plan on eating the contents of your fire extinguisher, you may be better served by a vastly more expensive device.

• Locked thread