Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Problem description: I recently bought a Geforce 780 Ti to replace a dead graphics card. Although a card from a couple of years ago it was new and unused. All seemed to install fine, however now games are crashing during loading giving me the error "*Game* has stopped working and needs to close." The card is working at some level, as a couple of slightly older games (Metal Gear Rising) run fine, however Total War Warhammer, its sequel and several others will always crash the first time they have to load 3D. Realise it is hardly a new card from an generational perspective but was still a significant upgrade on what it replaced so surprised to be struggling after having previously run these games fine.

Attempted fixes: Have tried clean install of drivers, updating the registry to give the GPU a longer waiting time, changing power settings for maximum performance. Bios was updated recently so shouldn't be the problem.

Recent changes: Just the graphics card.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64

System specs: i5 -4570, Gigabyte motherboard, GTX 780 Ti, 8 Gig DDR 3 all running off a 650 watt PSU.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Very grateful for any help offered. Internet has no consensus on sorting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulkys
Sep 7, 2008

The beast of Tanagra
It's tedious but I would update drivers for the motherboard and chipset + flash BIOS. I would look at the power supply too - maybe not enough juice in there though 650W should be fine.

I would do some digging in Event Viewer and see for shenanigans under system logs

Soulkys fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2018

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Cheers for response and encouragement to do the needfull. Have now done so and also reinstalled graphics drivers - sadly we've gone from crashing to desktop to occasionally blue screen crashing.

Event log looks meh. The majority of screw ups are listed as application errors.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

what are the BSOD codes?

Power supply does (seem) like a fairly likely culprit especially considering it happened when upgrading to a new card. How old is the supply and what make/model?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

MF_James posted:

what are the BSOD codes?

Power supply does (seem) like a fairly likely culprit especially considering it happened when upgrading to a new card. How old is the supply and what make/model?

Will have to look next time it reappears. Only intermittent.

Power supply is only a few months old. Corsair. One thing that is making me a bit suspicious is looking up the model of my card they all seem to need to power cables while mine only has one. Very odd. Have been looking all over the thing for another port.

Soulkys
Sep 7, 2008

The beast of Tanagra
The GPU shows up in devmgmt?

https://imgur.com/a/MZg56 - what your card looks like? You'll see the power bank on the right side, they'll all be grouped together if theres more than one coupler needed

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Soulkys posted:

The GPU shows up in devmgmt?

https://imgur.com/a/MZg56 - what your card looks like? You'll see the power bank on the right side, they'll all be grouped together if theres more than one coupler needed

Yeah shows up and installs fine. Looks nothing like that, blue and no branding to speak of.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
If it is blue screening then there could be a problem with the graphics card itself. I would try reinstalling it just in case there is a freak loose connection and if it still has issues I would see if things run properly with different video card if you have it handy. There could also be a problem with the pci-express port on the motherboard.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Myrridinos posted:

If it is blue screening then there could be a problem with the graphics card itself. I would try reinstalling it just in case there is a freak loose connection and if it still has issues I would see if things run properly with different video card if you have it handy. There could also be a problem with the pci-express port on the motherboard.

Tried a complete reinstall. Blue screen seems to have gone but still getting *"game" has stopped working and needs to close* message.

Thanks for help so far, beginning to get concerned this is going to be one that ends up being sent back.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Just for kicks can you post the application error crash log? It sounds like a bad card but its a good idea to take a look at the faulting module name just in case its not something stupid sending us on a goose chase.

Also, take a shot in the dark and disable the antivirus. I've seen AV software cause strange problems man.

Barring all else I would swap out the card and see if problems persist.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Myrridinos posted:

Just for kicks can you post the application error crash log?

This?

Application Log posted:

System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2018-04-15T18:18:56.420193600Z

EventRecordID 18839

Channel Application

Computer Spareroom

Security

- EventData

Warhammer2.exe
5a82a349
Warhammer2.exe
5a82a349
c0000005
000000000248d803
f08
01d3d4e5e4a34c3a
E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\Warhammer2.exe
E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\Warhammer2.exe
22bebbee-5691-4c96-bd58-a8a03ffb23a7

I am not convinced the card is bad yet, just ran an Afterburner stress test and it seems to be doing fine. Sadly the anti virus toggle didn't work, would have been funny.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Interesting. If it works under load in afterburner I am inclined to think software problem.

The logs we are looking for are in the event viewer. If you are running the default windows 10 start you can open it by right clicking on the windows start logo. Else you can open up a run prompt (keyboard shortcut: windows key + R) and type in eventvwr.

In there under Windows Logs -> Application. To make the crashes easier to spot can filter the logs using the Actions panel on the right with the option "Filter Current Log" to only include errors, warnings, and criticals.

The format should read something like this:

Faulting application name: xxxxx, version: xxxxxx, time stamp:xxxxxx
Faulting module name: xxxxxx, version:xxxxxx, time stamp: xxxxxx
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00579df8
Faulting process id: 0x18a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d3a9483f1c87
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\xxxxxx
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\xxxxxx
Report Id: a953018d-8b38-44c1-99c1-4b15c8db5d61
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Myrridinos fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 16, 2018

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Myrridinos posted:

Interesting. If it works under load in afterburner I am inclined to think software problem.

Ok here are some examples...

Faulting application name: Warhammer2.exe, version: 1.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x5a82a349
Faulting module name: Warhammer2.exe, version: 1.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x5a82a349
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000248d803
Faulting process ID: 0x510
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d5bab758477e
Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\Warhammer2.exe
Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\Warhammer2.exe
Report ID: e21bbdd4-f3fd-46f5-9270-f7a46cdd7162

Dark Souls 3 just loaded which was a surprise although framerate was tiny and it crashed soon after. Back to suspecting card is no good. Can't explain that Kombustor test though. Getting 60 fps there.

Faulting application name: DarkSoulsIII.exe, version: 1.15.0.0, time stamp: 0x598a43ef
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.16299.334, time stamp: 0xe508fc03
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f879b
Faulting process ID: 0x19e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d5bb7c2578ed
Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\DARK SOULS III\Game\DarkSoulsIII.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: dac72655-185f-4584-a826-bfd1030cb62a

Cheers for your ongoing help.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Not seeing a rhyme or reason to the crashes, one referencing itself and another the kernel.

I think its the card, especially if crashes started right after the install.

I would do one last double check and re-seat the RAM, check the HDD connections, etc just to rule out something being knocked subtly loose during the installation.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Myrridinos posted:

Not seeing a rhyme or reason to the crashes, one referencing itself and another the kernel.

I think its the card, especially if crashes started right after the install.

I would do one last double check and re-seat the RAM, check the HDD connections, etc just to rule out something being knocked subtly loose during the installation.

All done and now sadly it looks like I'm all done. Thanks for all the help both. This one is going back.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
No problem. If issues persist after replacing the card don't hesitate to post.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Sadly I'm back. Tested the PCIE port with another card (much older), worked fine, so bought a new 780ti. Same issue.

Trying yet another DDU clean driver install but what would be next, PSU?

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 27, 2018

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Could very well be the PSU. The 780ti has a fairly high power draw and if the PSU is under-performing at all it can cause instability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Myrridinos posted:

Could very well be the PSU. The 780ti has a fairly high power draw and if the PSU is under-performing at all it can cause instability.

Was the PSU. Had the wattage but there must have been an underlying problem. Two cards later we're away! Cheers for your help.

• Locked thread