Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Caligula is an adaptation of a 2016 PS Vita JRPG of the same name (released as The Caligula Effect in worldwide markets) that happens to look like rear end. It is the near future, and our protagonist Ritsu Shikishima is about to graduate high school to pursue a degree in psychology and presumably continue to talk about things none of his classmates understand or care about.

Note: this is not the Persona 4 adaptation.

Also in this future is an idol named μ (singular), who one must assume is the agglomerated form of all nine Love Live idols doing their fusion dance with Hatsune Miku. μ is incredibly popular with the students for some reason.

It comes as a great shock to Ritsu when μ's new single contains a significant amount of distorted reality- a message telling him to stop the Idol.

He dismisses it at first, but awakens to the fact that something isn't quite right with reality. Random fights around his school start breaking out, centered around a delinquent student named Shougo Satake.

Ritsu steady notices more and more inconsistencies and begins to question if the reality that he's experiencing is different than the one everyone else is.

He gets his answer on Graduation day-

Sorry, did I say Graduation Day? I meant the Welcoming Ceremony.

Sorry, did I say Welcoming Ceremony? I meant Idol concert.

As μ starts playing for the crowd, the crowd starts mutating into hideous purple electricity monsters and turns their attention to Ritsu and a few other students who seem to have noticed that reality's got a few wires crossed.

On the run from the crazed student body, Ritsu is saved by Shougo, who apparently has the power to carry an inordinately large Colt Peacemaker. Now, they must find the other disillusioned students who managed to survive the attack and figure out just what the hell is going on with the world they live in.

Yeah, it's a JRPG adaptation alright. Still, it looks like they've done a fairly good job of adapting the game's style. That may not be saying much, considering that the game isn't exactly the best looking, but it's intriguing enough to keep watching.

Caligula airs Sundays on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I remember seeing the anime announcement, reading what the game was about and deciding to watch it when it starts, but I've already forgotten what it was so I have no idea what this is about but it's been interesting so far.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Caligula: What if Hatsune Miku built the pleasure chamber from the Venture Bros but instead of being powered by the soul of an orphaned child it’s the YouTube algorithm.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

What's the deal with the 4-koma episode previews

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Araki posted:

What's the deal with the 4-koma episode previews

The spirit of Popteamepic lives on

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Bkub did (still does?) official 4koma for the game, so it is neat to see them embrace that with the episode previews.

I remember hearing that the game actually was pretty neat, but also really bad, which is probably why it is getting a remake on the PS4 with Caligula Overdose.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Bkub did (still does?) official 4koma for the game, so it is neat to see them embrace that with the episode previews.

I remember hearing that the game actually was pretty neat, but also really bad, which is probably why it is getting a remake on the PS4 with Caligula Overdose.

According to a friend who's stubborn about playing through bad games, it has a few genuinely interesting plot points but is kind of a mess overall and pretty tedious to actually play, so the anime adaption might do it some favours.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I’m playing through it and am enjoying it well enough, but to be fair I make sure I am stoned for some of the grindy aspects or dungeon-crawling.

Generally the ideas and potential are marred by the presentation and tech issues but not enough for me to dismiss it entirely.

The Causality Link is a cool concept narratively and thematically, but the way it’s been integrated is frustrating and slow.

I can see why they’re remaking it.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Aoi Showta also does the voice for Hibiki Kensuke.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 18, 2018

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Well, it looks like the adaptation is going completely off the rails from the game. Kinda weird that they've delayed MC from gaining the video-game powers for this long.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I’m pretty fine with it, the choices have worked well for me so far.

Defeating Sweet-P without having to fight was amazing. Taken down by ramen.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
what im getting is that its sorta like transistor, where everyone lives in an upload, and a small group has conspired to steal root access to reality, and they're opposed by a resistance faction

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

I see they're doing the pacifist run of Caligula.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It;s definitely a weird way to adapt a JRPG. No random encounters, no one's gotten fighting/special abilities cept' for revolver guy, no dungeon crawling, and no boss fights.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

To be fair I like it better than what actually happens in the game, where you get nearly all of your party members immediately since you're the latecomer to the go-home club. My guess is that it's a budget issue more than anything else, given the fact that this was probably made on a shoestring budget just to promote the PS4 re-release.

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

As someone who hasn't played the game before, I kind of like what they're doing with it. The combat scenes in the Persona anime never quite meshed right to me.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The departure from the game is really fascinating, and it strikes me as a really novel way of going about adapting it in comparison to many other game-to-anime productions.

I wish this had a better budget and was a 2-cour. This director is really pulling me in with his potential, but he clearly has less than ideal resources to pull from.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
To be fair, the combat in the game wasn't known as fun even for JRPG zealots, so I don't fault them for avoiding it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its one thing for the good guys to defeat the lords of the realm with speech checks, but its all done by the party members, and the mc hasnt actually done anything despite being a huge smartass

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ugh, do you really go through each of a long list of abilities via trial and error for every round of combat? that is the dullest dang thing.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Jarakchan posted:

As someone who hasn't played the game before, I kind of like what they're doing with it. The combat scenes in the Persona anime never quite meshed right to me.

These were my thoughts as well. The fights in the P5 anime look like what would happen if you directly animated a fight from the game, meaning they’re slow and awkward and mostly just have the characters taking turns to throw generic energy blasts at each other. I’m glad this show is doing something different even if it’s just because they can’t afford to animate too much action.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ugh, do you really go through each of a long list of abilities via trial and error for every round of combat? that is the dullest dang thing.

Every. Single. Fight.

Like there was several reasons this game needed a loving remake to salvage it, but the combat was god awful. I'd take Mind Zero over Caligula any day for combat.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This show is definitely intriguing as someone who hasn't played the game. The literary analysis in the latest episode wasn't what I expected of a JRPG being adapted into an anime - in a good way. In a weird way in such a virtual environment I can't help but feeling that books or written fictional stories might be the most genuine article you could have access to.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Yeah, I got a big dorky smile on my face when they started talking about Lord of the Rings.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm having a lot of trouble following this series. Like, I get the setting and what's going on, but the episodes feel so disjointed, nothing flows together. Like, we went from that whole tea party thing to the library and then in this episode they're suddenly at an amusement park? I had to go back and check to make sure I didn't miss an episode somewhere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man this looks like some entertaining loving garbage. :munch:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble following this series. Like, I get the setting and what's going on, but the episodes feel so disjointed, nothing flows together. Like, we went from that whole tea party thing to the library and then in this episode they're suddenly at an amusement park? I had to go back and check to make sure I didn't miss an episode somewhere.

I think most of the anime's sins come from the fact that it's a very, very liberal adaptation of the game, so while it uses all the same settings (the dungeons in the game) they don't really make much sense unless you've played the game and realize every episode is just the (pacifist run) adaptation of a dungeon in the game and the associated boss fight.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

This was a good episode. Took a while to get here though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ha! they made her superpower be "Is Gandalf" 10/10 show of the year.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Well, so much for the pacifist run.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Well, so much for the pacifist run.

Is it maybe like MC = pacifist? I never even knew this was a game, so maybe the other characters getting powers and doing fightstuff means it's still possible for Ritsu to go save μ's without actually fighting stuff.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

MJP posted:

Is it maybe like MC = pacifist? I never even knew this was a game, so maybe the other characters getting powers and doing fightstuff means it's still possible for Ritsu to go save μ's without actually fighting stuff.

It was a joke about how it took so long for the MC to actually get his catharsis effect powers. In the game you get it around 15 minutes in after a little bit of backstory and then start fighting the digiheads (the crazy student monsters) and it's no big deal. This adaptation's changing a lot of things around.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
so what are the stakes, when the mc party gets defeated they get brainwashed, when a brainwashed enemy gets defeated, do they simply return to the enemy random encounter pool?

like technically speaking, there are as many digiheads as there are inhabitants, each one has a name and history, surely they do something like that with the generic mooks so they can constantly respawn

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

In the game, at least, people who are trapped can lose their minds to a degree that they are basically dead (equipment in the game are remnants of these people’s emotional scars), which will mean they die irl as well. Vice versa also happens, people who weren’t found in time died IRL.

Students that have lost their identity entirely from the brainwashing don’t have their name displayed anymore.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait, wasn't that guy with the Go Home Club one of the Musicians, the really oversexed blonde one's lackey dude?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously? Just ten episodes?

They crammed so much into the first eight eps, spent basically two eps recapping the downtime after poo poo happened, and now it's over next episode?

Seriously, this needed to be at least 12/13 episodes. Too dang fast. It would have been fun seeing The Matrix meets Persona with a little more development.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did you close the episode immediately after that line? The very next thing they say is "just kidding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

Did you close the episode immediately after that line? The very next thing they say is "just kidding."

That is exactly what I did and I am glad I am the moron and Caligula is not yet over.

• Locked thread