Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

quote:

"Though no daemon I, I feel in my bones that it might prove inauspicious to utter my own name overmuch in my own voice, lest I may be summoned and bound - by hostile human forces. Therefore, I shall become he. I, Jaq Draco, will tell the story of Jaq Draco as witnessed by a fly upon the wall, committing Jaq Draco's experiences to this data-cube in the hopes that the masters of the Ordo Malleus or the Inquisition itself may authenticate the truth of what I report and determine to take action."

Ian Watson is a word wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

that sucks

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

That looks like some corny rear end sci fi poo poo.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Jaq Draco" is a real NaNoWriMo kind of name.

ed: 40k lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Genre fiction or not, Ian Watson's prose is like that for the entire novel and it is a treasure. Prose so bad it comes back around to being amazing.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I wish the narrator in Proust's In Search of Lost Time had committed his experiences to a data-cube rather than whatever nerd poo poo he was doing

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

this reads like a D&D player who's only read fantasy novels trying to ad-lib elevated speech

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Ian always brings a real energy to the table and i appreciate that even though he made Jaq Draco a half-elf rogue, he didn't minmax his stats

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
i enjoyed this read and thought it fitting for this thread: https://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/15/books/in-defense-of-purple-prose.html

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Maybe there was some critical vogue in the '80s that insisted on calling anything less austere than Kawabata "purple", but that hardly invalidates the idea of someone larding their prose up with useless gimcrack. On the other hand, most of what I'd unambiguously call purple prose has been in fanfiction and the quotes in the Patrick Rothfuss thread, so when people who aren't goony dweebs apply that term to real books, they're probably going to fall under the article's purview. But then again, I can't remember the last time I saw the phrase outside NaNoWriMo-level "how to write" bullshit anyway.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 15, 2019

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

really surprising that "edgy cartoons for manbabies"-man writes poo poo prose

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

that hardly invalidates the idea of someone larding their prose up with useless gimcrack.

I don't think West is arguing against that. Anyway, yeah, the term has become lit 101 but I don't think it was as hollow in the 80s yet. I thought the following was an interesting take: "When it isn't just showing off, purple is phrase coining"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I would argue that that's just a description of good prose, no matter how elaborate. Purple prose is "just showing off" by definition; it's a pejorative. It doesn't become a compliment or even neutral just because it gets applied to undeserving targets. The article's description of Absalom, Absalom! as a "purple masterpiece" is an oxymoron. But again, if the fashion in the '80s was to use it for anything with a metaphor too many, it makes sense that someone would question its validity as a pejorative.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 15, 2019

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Here's some cool imagery from the final chapter of Mircea Cartarescu's Blinding vol. 1

quote:

“The path descended, and it couldn’t do otherwise, because the fibers of space themselves went down, as though deformed by a revolting, difficult suffering. The transparent insects, with thousands of glassy anatomical details under the shells of their teguments, became larger and more aggressive. With a strange movement of their legs, the spiders spat jets of saliva at us, trying to pull us into the spools of their sparkling webs, where you could see the dried skeletons of bats, axolotls, and children. The mineral mosaics on the walls seemed to continuously change their colors, and bizarre icons appeared in unexpected combinations of marble, pyrite, porphyry, and quartz. Vasilica, I saw Saint George across an entire wall, wearing a purple mantle, as we know him, but thrown from his horse, with a yellow fear in his eyes and holding up his right hand in defense, pierced by the lance of the bile-green dragon, which triumphantly, with fire pouring from his nostrils, spread his wings over the world. I saw a woman nailed to a cross with spikes of zirconium nails, and three men in black garments crying at the foot of the cross and kissing her last curls of hair, red as copper wire. And I saw a man with wonderful brown eyes, holding a girl on his lap who was only a few years old, naked and plump, giving a blessing with two fingers. All of these ghosts merged one into the other like the waters of a cotton vestment …

“After centuries of walking through the bowels of night, lapping at the sweet mirrors of ice, clambering over stalagmites the size of elephants, and shaking on rope bridges thrown over crevasses, we found ourselves advancing through flesh. We didn’t realize when, slowly, softly, during the course of our many backsteps and quick leaps ahead, the walls of the tunnel became warm, wet, and pulsing, so that it seemed like we were walking through an enormous vein. We stepped into ever more elastic tissue; and in the thick, hyaline walls, we saw countless miniscule cells with violet nuclei. The transparent insects were still there, but they didn’t swarm. They adhered to the walls, their bellies beating with pleasure. Their long, hard proboscides were stuck in the epithelium of the grotto, and they sucked a black blood, whose course into their stomachs was easily visible through their colorless bodies. We crushed hundreds of them in our steady, endless descent. With time, the flesh conduit narrowed so much that we could barely make headway. The walls began to stick together, a cavity had to be made, and Fra Armando forced our way by pushing aside the hot muscles, hidden under a pearly mucous. It was like he was swimming through ambiguously scented female flesh, as wrinkled and snotty as the foot of a snail. And unexpectedly, at the end of the last push, the Light appeared.”

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i'm reading tyhe street of crocodiles and it owns

Thus my mother and I ambled along the two sunny sides of Market Square, guiding our broken shadows along the houses as over a keyboard. Under our soft steps the squares of the paving stones slowly filed past—some the pale pink of human skin, some golden, some blue-gray, all flat, warm and velvety in the sun, like sundials, trodden to the point of obliteration, into blessed nothingness.

And finally on the corner of Stryjska Street we passed within the shadow of the chemist's shop. A large jar of raspberry juice in the wide window symbolized the coolness of balms which can relieve all kinds of pain. After we passed a few more houses, the street ceased to maintain any pretense of urbanity, like a man returning to his little village who, piece by piece, strips off his Sunday best, slowly changing back into a peasant as he gets closer to his home.

The suburban houses were sinking, windows and all, into the exuberant tangle of blossom in their little gardens. Overlooked by the light of day, weeds and wild flowers of all kinds luxuriated quietly, glad of the interval for dreams beyond the margin of time on the borders of an endless day. An enormous sunflower, lifted on a powerful stem and suffering from hypertrophy, clad in the yellow mourning of the last sorrowful days of its life, bent under the weight of its monstrous girth. But the naïve, suburban bluebells and unpretentious dimity flowers stood helpless in their starched pink and white shifts, indifferent to the sunflower's tragedy.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Here's some cool imagery from the final chapter of Mircea Cartarescu's Blinding vol. 1

boy and i thought codreanu was the best romanian writer

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I remember somebody dissing the English translation of Bruno Schulz and some academic doing a new one, but the old read really well, so i don't care if there are skipped or mistranslated words in there

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Big Man Herm posted:

[...] but lulled into such an opium-like listlessness of vacant, unconscious reverie is this absent-minded youth by the blending cadence of waves with thoughts, that at last he loses his identity; takes the mystic ocean at his feet for the visible image of that deep, blue, bottomless soul, pervading mankind and nature; and every strange, half-seen, gliding, beautiful thing that eludes him; every dimly-discovered, uprising fin of some undiscernible form, seems to him the embodiment of those elusive thoughts that only people the soul by continually flitting through it. In this enchanted mood, thy spirit ebbs away to whence it came; becomes diffused through time and space; like Wickliff's sprinkled Pantheistic ashes, forming at last a part of every shore the round globe over.

There is no life in thee, now, except that rocking life imparted by a gently rolling ship; by her, borrowed from the sea; by the sea, from the inscrutable tides of God. But while this sleep, this dream is on ye, move your foot or hand an inch; slip your hold at all; and your identity comes back in horror. Over Descartian vortices you hover. And perhaps, at mid-day, in the fairest weather, with one half-throttled shriek you drop through that transparent air into the summer sea, no more to rise for ever. Heed it well, ye Pantheists!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

surprising no one the thread for good writing has almost dropped into the archives, nice work all. here's a cool bit from miklos szentkuthy's prae

quote:

What is exciting about mornings, however, is that nothing at all new starts in them, but the past has remained: at dawn, if one opens one's eyes, the initial feeling, having cast a glance at one's surroundings, is that yesterday's feelings are totally valid today as well, and that one's past, like a safe gilt-edged stock, has not lost half-a-percent of its value, nothing has changed. All that is new is that one has a past, that one can pronounce the word 'yesterday' intelligibly, but even that rather means that all of one's actions are turned to yesterday, and, if it were up to us, we would press the whole of today into the tight box of yesterday, and the only reason for living in the today is that, due to physical circumstances, one has been squeezed out of yesterday like out of an overcrowded bus: "the next bus is right behind."
On every newly succeeding day one wants to drill back into the layer of preceding days, and it is entirely immaterial that the train is racing along northwards & we are, nonetheless, walking southwards. if the dining car so happens to have been coupled to the train. One senses that one's path is almost physically tracing a wavy resultant on the calendar temperature chart of the days: time, raw time, is always forward, a human being is always facing backward like a stubborn drill, at each & every dawn nearer the sought for past that one wishes were eternal. Life thus makes itself felt as if it was forever running late: one ought to have already been somewhere yesterday, and one can, perchance, reach it only today - that can be seen most clearly from the 'time tests' of lovers: actually, they do not wish to add today's new kiss to yesterday's kiss but to continue yesterday's kiss, or rather to run back to yesterday, though the wind of time is blowing straight against them. The concept of the 'future', the theatrical stunt of 'starting over anew', is no more than a pedagogic trick, alphaist hypocrisy against the one & only omega

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
That is neat, but frankly all the "ones" make it a real slog imo. There's even a "we" already in there!

I'll follow it up with some actual bad prose:

quote:

Not only was Judson Perry's best evidence of the reality of love, he was such an appealing and well-regulated youngster, nearly as smart as Perry and much better able to sleep at night, that Perry sometimes wished that he, Perry, were his little brother.

But what did that even mean? If the soul was merely a psychic artifact created by the body, it was tautologically self-evident why Perry's soul was in Perry and not in Judson. And yet it didn't feel self-evident. The reason he wondered if the soul might be independent and immutable was his persistent sense of how odd it was, how seemingly random, that his soul had landed where it had. Try as he might, altered or sober, he could never quite solve - or even properly articulate - the mystery of his happening to be Perry. It wasn't at all clear to him what Becky, for example, had done to deserve being Becky, or when exactly (in an earlier incarnation?) she'd earned that privilege. She just found herself being Becky, around whom the heavens revolved; and this, too, confounded him.

A delicious faint skunk sell wafted off the asset when he opened the strongbox. The asset consisted of three ounces of weed, in double Baggies, and twenty-one Quaaludes, the remnant of a wholesale buy that, like every previous buy, had cost him nearly unendurable anxiety and shame. He stared at it in frank disblief that he was going to part with it for nothing in return but the putative joy of Christmas giving. So very cruel, his resolution. He thought he might love being high a little more than he loved his brother, but he wasn't sure that when his mind was racing and one night in bed felt like a month of nights he didn't love two Quaaludes better. Aye, that was the question: whether to shove the whole loving asset in the pocket of his parka and be done with it, or to sleep tonight. The weed alone would fetch him thirty dollars, more cash than he needed. Why not hold back a few 'ludes? For that matter, why not hold back all of them?

Eleven days earlier, in an eerie correlative of the cosmic lottery in which his soul had drawn the name Perry, he'd plucked the name Becky H from a pile of folded slips ion the linoleum floor of the function hall at First Reformed. (What were the chances? About one in fifty-five - a hundred million times greater than the chances of being Perry, but still rather low.) As soon as he'd seen his sister's name, he'd sidled back toward the pile, hoping to trade in...

Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen - line breaks mine, should be indents

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

quote:

Not only was Judson Perry's best evidence of the reality of love, he was such an appealing and well-regulated youngster, nearly as smart as Perry and much better able to sleep at night, that Perry sometimes wished that he, Perry, were his little brother.

I can almost smell the weed. From personal experience, if you're too high when you write, you end up with bizarre phrasings and/or needlessly tortured structures.

Individual sentences are rewritten ten or fifteen different ways until you give up or settle on something that passes chiba-brain logic as "good".

If the PoV in this segment had been high, that would have changed this from bad to good, but it seems like in the following paragraphs that he's painfully sober.