Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Cythereal posted:

He's only from 30-40 years in the future, I think. The kid grew up to be a world-class supervillain in his timeline.

Odd, he made it sound like he's from hundreds of years into the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

WampaLord posted:

We never got a great look at him under that helmet, maybe he is old!

I doubt he's going to shrink down just cause he's 60 or whatever.

Xavier didn't look that old earlier in the movie...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Azubah posted:

Odd, he made it sound like he's from hundreds of years into the future.

they show the kid torch his wife and daughter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cain Marko is also, as the name might suggest, Xavier's half-brother with possibly a significant age gap.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BizarroAzrael posted:

Xavier didn't look that old earlier in the movie...

Stewart or McAvoy? These timelines are so confusing...

Wait that's from the first one.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I wouldn't sweat the timeline.

When they ride the taxi and talk about the future, Cable says Deadpool will be dead in 50 years though, but that's just as likely to be a number Cable pulled out of his rear end because he doesn't like Deadpool.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

I wouldn't sweat the timeline.

When they ride the taxi and talk about the future, Cable says Deadpool will be dead in 50 years though, but that's just as likely to be a number Cable pulled out of his rear end because he doesn't like Deadpool.

He'd also have to do research, as he was just talking about the state of the planet and not factoring that Wade is probably immortal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BizarroAzrael posted:

He'd also have to do research, as he was just talking about the state of the planet and not factoring that Wade is probably immortal.

Yeah, he wasn't speaking specifically about Wade, because he didn't even know who Wade was before the prison fight.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am fine with Deadpool (and Legion) being in the timeless Archer universe where technology and style can just exist as needed without fitting in to any established universe.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

swickles posted:

I am fine with Deadpool (and Legion) being in the timeless Archer universe where technology and style can just exist as needed without fitting in to any established universe.

Agreed, it's why I never want Deadpool actually crossing over with X-Men or the MCU (if the buyout happens). Just let it be it's own thing, living sort of outside the other universes while commenting on them. Crossing over with anything else would weaken both.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thrawn527 posted:

Agreed, it's why I never want Deadpool actually crossing over with X-Men or the MCU (if the buyout happens). Just let it be it's own thing, living sort of outside the other universes while commenting on them. Crossing over with anything else would weaken both.

I disagree, Deadpool should absolutely cross over with Legion.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grendels Dad posted:

I disagree, Deadpool should absolutely cross over with Legion.

If they really want the MCU to be like the comics, they should have Deadpool cross over with all the next phase of movies. And put him on all the posters.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Reince Penis posted:

If they really want the MCU to be like the comics, they should have Deadpool cross over with all the next phase of movies. And put him on all the posters.

Yeah, but that would be boring. Have an Insane People Bash instead. Deadpool in the MCU would just tell everyone they're assholes, they'd shrug and then the movie phase is over.

Deadpool + David, however :allears:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I was actually kind of fantasizing about a Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe one off movie the other night but it'll never happen.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I feel like a Deadpool + Legion comic could be really interesting, much like how Cable + Deadpool was a really great comic.

Like maybe some evil teen nerd alt-universe Franklin Richards shows up, and David has to team up with Deadpool to take him out, 'cause Deadpool's an encyclopedia of pop culture and can break the fourth wall. Have a scene where David tries to read Deadpool's mind, and David's like, "Holy poo poo, and I thought I was messed up"

But I don't think Deadpool would really work with the FX Legion. That show is pretty serious and cerebral, and Ryan Reynolds popping in wouldn't really jive with the tone of the show

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I went in completely unspoiled about Juggernaut being in the movie so that was a nice surprise

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I went in completely unspoiled about Juggernaut being in the movie so that was a nice surprise

I did too, but my suspicions about the big fella behind the door were immediately turned that way once they named one of the prisoners Black Tom Cassidy.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 4, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

remusclaw posted:

I did too, but my suspicions about who the big fella behind the door were immediately turned that way once they named one of the prisoners Black Tom Cassidy.

I only guessed it right before they crashed because I’m a dummy

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Unfortunately, the dumbass guy sitting next to me spoiled it like a minute before the reveal.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I was completely in the dark until I saw his helmet start to come out of the crash. Being deadpool, when my mind was wondering what 'monster' would be locked away like that, I was figuring it would be a joke where the person was really small and unassuming, so seeing Juggernaut was a delightful surprise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

I was completely in the dark until I saw his helmet start to come out of the crash. Being deadpool, when my mind was wondering what 'monster' would be locked away like that, I was figuring it would be a joke where the person was really small and unassuming, so seeing Juggernaut was a delightful surprise.

Yeah I’m in the same boat. I had no idea who it was. I was thinking it was maybe like a real monster or some poo poo. Seeing it was juggs I was quite happy.

Juggs is awesome. Juggs is a swole mothefucker. I want to be juggs

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Not being a huge X-Men (X PERSON WE WILL BE INCLUSIVE) fan Juggernaut showing up was a real delight, I didn't know what to expect but not him. He was great tho.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’m in the same boat. I had no idea who it was. I was thinking it was maybe like a real monster or some poo poo. Seeing it was juggs I was quite happy.

Juggs is awesome. Juggs is a swole mothefucker. I want to be juggs

I was thinking it was another lesser known hambeast of a Liefield character, like Fourarms or something. I know he has Hulk-like characters but I don't know how many are in the Marvel universe.

I probably should have known, since I was at a nightclub the night before and some guys were talking about the Juggernaut and how the "bitch" meme wasn't used and I never put it together that they were talking about this movie until after he appeared.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I took my dad to see this movie. He doesn't get out to see a lot of new movies.

He sat there stonefaced the entire time. No laughs, chuckles, nothing. He had no idea what was going on. The last superhero movie he saw was probably Batman 89.

When we walked to the car he said "That's probably one of the funniest movies I've ever saw. Not as good as Bad Santa though."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some people do their laughing on the inside.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My dad was the same way, except he did laugh out loud at the "just shirt-cockin' it" scene.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Slightly Absurd posted:

But I don't think Deadpool would really work with the FX Legion. That show is pretty serious and cerebral, and Ryan Reynolds popping in wouldn't really jive with the tone of the show

No loving poo poo. That's an actual good TV show, the less it associates itself with any wider universe or comics the better.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tom Gorman posted:

I took my dad to see this movie. He doesn't get out to see a lot of new movies.

He sat there stonefaced the entire time. No laughs, chuckles, nothing. He had no idea what was going on. The last superhero movie he saw was probably Batman 89.

When we walked to the car he said "That's probably one of the funniest movies I've ever saw. Not as good as Bad Santa though."

Your dad sounds like a cool dude.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

My dad was the same way, except he did laugh out loud at the "just shirt-cockin' it" scene.

Now that I've heard it in this thread, I wish they would've gone with "Donald Duckin' it" instead.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

davidspackage posted:

Now that I've heard it in this thread, I wish they would've gone with "Donald Duckin' it" instead.

And that’s absolutely what they expected everyone to mentally replace it with. I suspect there was a tiny bit of pushback from Disney to not use that phrase.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

And that’s absolutely what they expected everyone to mentally replace it with. I suspect there was a tiny bit of pushback from Disney to not use that phrase.

Disney's pretty powerful, but I'd be surprised if they're at the point where other studios are running scripts past them. Considering they haven't actually bought Fox yet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If the House of Mouse pushed back on Donald Ducking it I doubt they'd be happy with "full Winnie the Pooh". And Pooh has a movie coming up.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna laugh when deadpool's legs grow into the starfish clone of Deadpool, but it's just ryan reynolds with no memory of anything.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I was super convinced at the finale that "Your heart isn't in the right place"place " just meant Wade's heart literally wasn't in the right place after so many regens or whatever, and that's how DP lives.

Also, I didn't follow any of the hype (watched this today at 10am when I some time to kill) and can't believe X Force of all comics got a movie.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thundercracker posted:

I was super convinced at the finale that "Your heart isn't in the right place"place " just meant Wade's heart literally wasn't in the right place after so many regens or whatever, and that's how DP lives.

Also, I didn't follow any of the hype (watched this today at 10am when I some time to kill) and can't believe X Force of all comics got a movie.

Yeah, that really stuck out to me and I think I would have preferred it being a literal thing that saved his life as opposed to the Cable time travel stuff saving him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Loved this film. Soundtrack, supporting characters and plot were way better than the first. I was expecting another few hours of laughs and comic book/movie references, but Cable and Domino in particular are genuinely good characters. Vanessa was also handled well enough that it didn't feel like she'd just been stuffed in a fridge as generic revenge motivation.

Favourite moments? Deadpool repeating the pity dick line to Russell was pretty good, but Colossus giggling to himself after calling Juggernaut 'Fuckernaut' was incredible.

Subtle moment? Deadpool carefully pins Domino's picture to his noticeboard with a thumbtack. All the others he stabs in with a knife, similarly to how he treats the photos of his targets in the first film.

Thundercracker posted:

Remember she was saying the reason the couldn't be together after he blew himself up/drowned was because his heart wasn't in the right place. I initially thought it was an anatomy thing too but I was pretty confused how a misplaced heart would save him from that.

In the end I think the whole 'not in the right place' both figuratively (sacrificing himself to save Russell) and literally (in the path of Cable's bullet) was decently clever.

jabby fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 13, 2018

• Locked thread