Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
both my close childhood friends became alt right / info warsers. there is no way to redeem these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Best Korea posted:

Same, I really miss the days when you could have a conversation about aliens and the weird poo poo Nazis were into and the person you're talking to not turn out to be a Nazi.

There was a lot of crazy occult stuff as well. All the sides of WW2 are pretty fascinating to read about.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

I got all my conspiracy theory fixes from Dave Emory, who is one of the few liberals in the field.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I never got into conspiracy theories in terms of becoming a believer, but I did go through a time when I was very interested in Cold War era conspiracy theories like knowledge of aliens and poo poo because if we know about things like MKUltra what other crazy shenanigans was America getting up to? Learning about some events which were not only real but also quite dramatic led me to considering the plausibility of some modern, and some old unproven/revealed, conspiracy theories. Faking the moon landing is an insane joke, but it isn't entirely implausible that the CIA could have murdered JFK, or that the 9/11 attacks were actively allowed to happen to push an agenda.

So I can see where otherwise normally functioning people can pick up a few plausible looking breadcrumbs and end up taking a bunch of small steps into a forest which eventually engulfs them.

The hell of it is, once they're in there they're alone; you can't get in to help them, they have to do it themselves.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

papa_november posted:

I got all my conspiracy theory fixes from Dave Emory, who is one of the few liberals in the field.

my favorite leftist conspiracy nut is definitely HA Goodman the way he introduces himself every video lets you know he has the goods

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

though with the russia poo poo i feel like the mainstream left is doing plenty of alex jones conspiracy style bullshit these days i don't watch rachel maddow but hear it's mostly what she's covered in the last year and a half

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Percelus posted:

though with the russia poo poo i feel like the mainstream left is doing plenty of alex jones conspiracy style bullshit these days i don't watch rachel maddow but hear it's mostly what she's covered in the last year and a half
i've been informed that this post has been hacked by russians

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Percelus posted:

Intelligence communities from all nations mucking about in your internet in an effort to make you go crazy is absolutely the norm now. You should treat every website, tweet, and post as if it comes from a shadowy cabal that wants to steal your mind so that you’ll do their bidding, including this one. For more info, please go to info wars dot com. Спасибо.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
we need to figure out a way to get conspiracy theorists to get into adam curtis. his stuff is aesthetically similar with the videos they watch and the major theme of his work is "yes there is a global shadow govt, but they're all basically dumb as hell'

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

we need to figure out a way to get conspiracy theorists to get into adam curtis. his stuff is aesthetically similar with the videos they watch and the major theme of his work is "yes there is a global shadow govt, but they're all basically dumb as hell'

Adam Curtis talks about real events that actually happened though, and the appeal of conspiracy theorism is that it lets your imagination run wild.

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

There was a lot of crazy occult stuff as well. All the sides of WW2 are pretty fascinating to read about.
That's why it's so fun to talk about, but now you get to talking to someone about the Vril or Hitler faking his death and half the time they start on how the Holocaust was a lie.

Percelus posted:

Like I feel that Russia was definitely up to something, because fueling descent is their thing and they've been doing since at least the 60s, but I think a lot of bullshit is being fueled by neoliberals who don't want to admit they hosed up bad so they're screaming Russia at everyone who ever pointed out Clinton was a bad candidate.

I also don't get why the same people who claimed Russia hacked the election or whatever are so sure that there's going to be a blue wave in November. If Russia rigged the election, and we've not done anything to prevent it from happening again, why wouldn't they hack the midterms too?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

You should treat every website, tweet, and post as if it comes from a shadowy cabal that wants to steal your mind so that you’ll do their bidding, including this one.

as if lowtax is anywhere near that competent

Funny thing about that quoted bit though, it's like when the psychiatrist asks me if the TV is sending me hidden messages and telling me to do things, and I answer gently caress yea it is, but not like you mean.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

they're aesthetically similar by fundamentally different

the base of the conspiratorial mindset is the focus on paranoia of an intruding other, outside of the established class order. Aliens, lizards, jews, etc, they all reduce to the same thing in the conspiratorial mind - something outside, that is in itself representative of antagonisms that already exist within society, between classes, and is used to scape-goat those antagonisms, and thereby re-legitimize the current order.

Conspiracy theories fundamentally don't challenge the social order, including inequality and such, instead they reaffirm it.

quoting zizek (it's about sexual identity, but the same logic applies):

http://zizekstudies.org/index.php/IJZS/article/viewFile/711/717 posted:

In Lacan’s precise sense of the term, the chimney sweeper effectively stands for the
phallic element – how? Insofar as he stands for pure difference: officer, maid and chimney
sweeper are the masculine, the feminine, plus their difference as such, as a particular
contingent object – again, why? This difference is the universal as such – universal not as a
neutral frame elevated above its two species, but as their constitutive antagonism, and the third
element (chimney sweeper, Jew, object a) stands for the difference as such, for the “pure”
difference/antagonism which precedes the differentiated terms. If the division of the social body
into two classes would have been complete, without the excessive element (Jew, rabble…),
there would have been no class struggle, just two clearly divided classes - this third element is
not the mark of an empirical remainder that escapes the class classification (the pure division of
society into two classes), but the materialization of their antagonistic difference itself, insofar as
this difference precedes the differentiated terms. In the space of anti-Semitism, the “Jew” stands
for the social antagonism as such: without the Jewish intruder, the two classes would live in
harmony… We can see now how the third intruding element is evental: it is not just another
positive entity, it stands for what is forever unsettling the harmony of the Two, opening it up to
an incessant process of re-accommodation.

Adam Curtis' entire point is that the dysfunction of society is not due to an elusive 'intruder', that acts as a stand-in for class antagonisms, but that the dysfunction is a result of the ruling class, and the choices they have made, in preserving themselves. The conspiracy is not 'out there', it is not behind the curtain, it's in plain sight.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Wheeee posted:

Funny thing about that quoted bit though, it's like when the psychiatrist asks me if the TV is sending me hidden messages and telling me to do things, and I answer gently caress yea it is, but not like you mean.

your psych thinks you're a schizo

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

when you think about it the constant use of red scares to effectively manipulate americans it shows that as a society we are extremely susceptible to conspiracy peddlers and also demonstrates that while the people or even party pushing such tactics may change with the decade only dumb chumps fall for the mccarthy playbook

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the war nerd has the best episode about this and it's free

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

rudatron posted:

Adam Curtis' entire point is that the dysfunction of society is not due to an elusive 'intruder', that acts as a stand-in for class antagonisms, but that the dysfunction is a result of the ruling class, and the choices they have made, in preserving themselves. The conspiracy is not 'out there', it is not behind the curtain, it's in plain sight.

Yeah also it's not generally about conspirators in smoke filled rooms deliberately shaping the world ro what it is through 4rd chess. It's 'here are the choices those in power have deliberately made, and how those choices have had unforeseen consequences' or other aspects of 'Here are the factors that have shaped our perceptions.'

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah also it's not generally about conspirators in smoke filled rooms deliberately shaping the world ro what it is through 4rd chess. It's 'here are the choices those in power have deliberately made, and how those choices have had unforeseen consequences' or other aspects of 'Here are the factors that have shaped our perceptions.'

when there is a legit conspiracy of bad actors in a smoke filled room like the dccc trying to muscle real leftists out of primary races it isn't sexy enough for most people to care about

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coolness Averted posted:

thats why i say aesthetically similar though, curtis enjoys telling us these stories as though they ARE done conspiratorially, but yea mostly for dramatic effect and cohesiveness

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Percelus posted:

when you think about it the constant use of red scares to effectively manipulate americans it shows that as a society we are extremely susceptible to conspiracy peddlers and also demonstrates that while the people or even party pushing such tactics may change with the decade only dumb chumps fall for the mccarthy playbook

Americans are susceptible to cons and conspiracy theories because we're indoctrinated from a very young age into false consciousness, and one of the promises of liberal freedom is that you have the right to choose which false interpretation of reality you can believe in. We have no sense of history, or even an accurate understanding of the basic definitions that give dimension to the world and its politics.

Alioth
May 21, 2015
I live in a red state and off the top of my head i can name like five people i know who have gotten into the infowars stuff. They latch onto the really stupid stuff like pizzagate or chemtrails because the story provides a source of stimulus in their miserable lives.

Even if they move away from the batshit crazy stuff their brains are still broken afterwards. Infowars stuff poisons their brains and primes them to accept other really stupid ideas like that people are putting soy in their food to turn them gay. this is the point where the alt right swoops in and tells them the real problem is FEMINISM

It's super frustrating to talk these people because capitalism creates the conditions for their miserable lives, but they never want to talk about it. Like they'll complain about companies individually but getting them to acknowledge structural issues is impossible

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

his whole gimmick is that he’s got access to the BBC archives and blames the ruling class using the golden royal radio antenna whose transmissions are illegal to receive on island without a license bought from the state how does he keep getting away with this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Alioth posted:

Infowars stuff poisons their brains and primes them to accept other really stupid ideas like that people are putting soy in their food to turn them gay

soy has been main source of protein for years and still i haven't gotten a case of the gays which is hosed up i want to be a bottom already seems like the ez life

• Locked thread