Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Are leprechauns gremlins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Are leprechauns gremlins?

I feel like that’s a grey area. Also dolls and puppets are a grey area.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Is it possible to get a list of 31 gremlins knockoffs and tiny monster movies?

There’s 2 Gremlins movies, 4 Critters, 4 Ghoulies, 1 Munchies, 1 Boogens, 2 Hobgoblins, 2 Trolls... if I count the Basketcase movies that’s 19. I feel like I’m missing some.

I thought Feeding Frenzy, from the Red Letter Media guys, was fun.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Drunkboxer posted:

There’s 2 Gremlins movies, 4 Critters, 4 Ghoulies, 1 Munchies, 1 Boogens, 2 Hobgoblins, 2 Trolls... if I count the Basketcase movies that’s 19. I feel like I’m missing some.

Roger Corman's "Munchies". There was a sequel "Munchie" a few years later but it has absolutely nothing to do with the first one.

And "The Gate" had tiny monsters but it didn't quite have the naming scheme down. I don't remember if it actually had a plot driven by the little monsters or if they were tertiary, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

Roger Corman's "Munchies". There was a sequel "Munchie" a few years later but it has absolutely nothing to do with the first one.

And "The Gate" had tiny monsters but it didn't quite have the naming scheme down. I don't remember if it actually had a plot driven by the little monsters or if they were tertiary, though.

I think The Gate counts, the little monsters are pretty key to everything that happens.

If we allow a little bit of cheating, 30 Million Miles to Earth is a fun little Harryhausen film that features a tiny monster(he doesn't stay tiny though).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

The only one I see missing is Spookies. I also think The Gate counts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually watched The Gate during the May Challenge and just never wrote it up for some reason.

I think part of it is that the movie just didn't click for me the way I was hoping it would and I like to be mostly positive in my write-ups if possible. I liked it, but in the end I felt like other movies with similar premises have gone to more interesting places. The effects work on the little demons was fantastic though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Seems like I could get to 31 by adding a few maybes to the pile then. I’m not sure if I want to commit to that particular challenge though. I clearly need to watch The Gate though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I actually watched The Gate during the May Challenge and just never wrote it up for some reason.

I think part of it is that the movie just didn't click for me the way I was hoping it would and I like to be mostly positive in my write-ups if possible. I liked it, but in the end I felt like other movies with similar premises have gone to more interesting places. The effects work on the little demons was fantastic though.

It's one of those movies that I always get a little confused over during the first act, because of the premise that hooks me most (the demonic heavy metal record) kinda comes out of nowhere late in the first act, and yet that's the hook that defines the movie for me.

The Gate is great. I always love showing it to friends for the first time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

A few people did it this past October and it seemed to work out pretty well, I think for myself I would just find it too limiting. Too many great films would have to be cut just to stick to the "1 movie per year" format. I'm born in '84, what the hell would I do for 1986-1988? Every year I probably watch like 15 movies from just that period.

The biggest problem I had was forcing myself to watch movies I wasn't interested in because I needed a year filled. But that honestly had a kind of 50/50 rate of giving me a movie I ended up really liking vs one that was disappointing.

I mean, if I had ONLY watched 31 films it would have sucked to be limited but since I ended up doing something silly like 47 it was great because I watched plenty of stuff I just felt like. A bigger time crunch probably would have been a bigger chore. But I still think its a solid starting point because it can force you out of bubbles and give you some kind of starting place to decide what to watch. At least that's good for me because I'm a "analysis paralysis" kind of guy.

I'm looking forward to flipping it and trying to do 1958-1986 this October. I've always wanted to go back into the older stuff but never do. Now I have a motivating outline to guide me. Hopefully I don't fail on it like I did May.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

I kind of want to do a slasher sampler for October; four slashers from each year (probably hitting up NOES and Friday as I can), but I don't own a lot of slashers and being limited to the three streaming services makes it difficult. I don't think I'd get my money's worth out of Shudder, either; my wife isn't crazy about horror movies, my daughter is too little for them (and scary moments in movies are starting to get her terrified), so I really only have the night to watch them (the best time), but that's also my main time to play video games, work on my LP, the time I have for me-time.

Does Shudder have a mobile app? I could probably use that to watch movies, if it's worthwhile.

Shudder has a mobile app, yes, and it's fine. That said, make sure and poke around at the selection before you get Shudder, because there's a very specific type of horror fan they're targeting and if you're beelining to NOES and Friday for slashers you're probably not that type.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

W-w-w-watching movies on a phone???

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For future references, do most of you like/collect vinyl albums?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do not, but maybe I'm in the minority.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Samuel Clemens posted:

W-w-w-watching movies on a phone???

most people use mobile apps to cast to their TVs I think (at least, I do)

Franchescanado posted:

I do

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tumble posted:

Yeah, Munchie is more family friendly, but is a sorta sequel.

While most of the Full Moon wheelhouse seems too gray to count, I'd say "Hideous!" fits. It's also one of their better films.

For this October I'm going to do my usual ironman of as many movies as I can fit in the month (difficult with other social events sometimes) and only counting new-to-me for the list. Last October I hit 79 in the month. Let's see if I can top it!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean I think more importantly to this guy, he probably won't enjoy Shudder because it's like 75% ultra-sleazy gore flicks. If you're into the more mainstream end of horror, you're probably kinda better off poking at the movie channels available on Prime/Hulu/etc like Starz and HBO and Cinemax than getting Shudder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean I think more importantly to this guy, he probably won't enjoy Shudder because it's like 75% ultra-sleazy gore flicks. If you're into the more mainstream end of horror, you're probably kinda better off poking at the movie channels available on Prime/Hulu/etc like Starz and HBO and Cinemax than getting Shudder.

Yea I made a post saying basically this on the last page. Starz, Hulu, Showtime, and HBO(and once in a while Netflix) are going to be better for the iconic slasher franchises.

This past year Starz had every Friday the 13th, Netflix had NOES and New Nightmare, and HBO had a few of the Halloween sequels. You kinda have to be willing to either buy DVD/blu ray sets or just sign up to 3 or 4 streaming subs and cancel them after the month is over.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You get Starz for the horror selection, but you keep it for the action selection and the constantly rotating classics.

I try to get rid of it every month but they always have enough to justify keeping it. Unlike, say, Showtime after Twin Peaks ended.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly I think I've gotten Shudder, gotten bored with it and cancelled, and then decided "oh hey I'll check if Shudder has anything new" a few months later like 5 or 6 times now

and i keep getting bored with it because it really feels like half their movies are meant for that weird guy at the indie video store who always wears Jason T-shirts, smells like a whiskey-soaked dumpster, and has a pedo van behind the store that he wants to show you his knife collection out of

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly I think I've gotten Shudder, gotten bored with it and cancelled, and then decided "oh hey I'll check if Shudder has anything new" a few months later like 5 or 6 times now

and i keep getting bored with it because it really feels like half their movies are meant for that weird guy at the indie video store who always wears Jason T-shirts, smells like a whiskey-soaked dumpster, and has a pedo van behind the store that he wants to show you his knife collection out of

Yea but like twice a month I feel like that guy and I want to watch a movie that guy would watch. Edit: Wait, I didn't read the part about the pedo van. Everything except that part.

I only ever cancel Shudder the month after a forums Challenge, because I know that I'm burned out on horror for a few months. For $5 a month it's not worth it to cancel unless it's going to be for at least 3-4 months.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but like twice a month I feel like that guy and I want to watch a movie that guy would watch. Edit: Wait, I didn't read the part about the pedo van. Everything except that part.

I only ever cancel Shudder the month after a forums Challenge, because I know that I'm burned out on horror for a few months. For $5 a month it's not worth it to cancel unless it's going to be for at least 3-4 months.

I also take a break from horror after our challenges, but all of my close friends now live within a mile of me, and being the Movie Guy of the group, I'm constantly showing movies to friends. Shudder's pretty good about that, especially since two of my friends regularly challenge me to show them something weird, unique or depraved. I think my various streaming service bills amount to a decent cable package.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Sort of/not really. I think they're really cool but I am trying not to collect things until I live in a place I believe I'll be for more than a couple of years. Paintings and posters excepted because paintings are cool and you gotta buy something when you go to a show with like 20 people in the audience.

I still have like a dozen vinyl albums somewhere and if I ever saw that Babylon Whores LP collection I'd buy it in a heartbeat though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hey! I'll have you know I drive a Sedan!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've contacted everyone about their prizes except for Almost Blue.

Almost Blue, since you don't have PMs, if you want to provide an e-mail address in this thread and then delete it once I have it, that would be great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

it arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Sono posted:

12. Reality Terror Night - Bikini models go to a haunted house to search for ghosts on a reality show. Second movie in a row with an IMDB under 3 that I've legit enjoyed. The acting is believable, the pace is solid, and the reveal is handled well. The villain doesn't get a lot of screen time, which is a bit disappointing.

I can't believe that a movie made in 2013 is only available in SD. No HD version anywhere. What the gently caress?

gey muckle mowser posted:

Better Watch Out came out around the same time and definitely the superior "kid is in love with his babysitter, something hosed up happens" movie.

This movie was pretty terrible to me. All the kills occurred off-screen, which is perhaps the worst sin a movie like this can commit.

• Locked thread