Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The Flop House is a podcast where they watch a bad movie and then they talk about it.

Hosted by Dan McCoy (Daily Show writer, hooker handed sad sack, Pervazoid Number 1 and generic white male), Elliott Kalan (current MST3K head writer, former Daily Show Head writer, walking film encyclopedia and enchanting chanteur), and Stuart Wellington (The world’s biggest Stuart Gordon enthusiast, Brooklyn based tavern keeper and radical party dude), these guys, known to devoted listeners as the Original Peaches, have been discussing bad movies for over a decade now. Sure, the talk about your big Hollywood misfires (Batman v. Superman, Independence Day: Resurgance, Valerian and the City Of A Thousand Planets), but they also subject themselves to some of the stranger, smaller films that no one in their right mind would ever see (Fateful Findings, No Deposit, The Oogieloves).

While bad movie podcasts are a dime a dozen these days, I think the big appeal of this show is the interplay between the hosts. Dan, Elliott, and Stu are intelligent and extremely film literate, and they have a really facility for critical analysis. But what’s even better is their ability to to go off on insane tangents based on the movie. The Flop House is at its best when it’s at its silliest. For example, the Tantan/Cat on a Hot Tintin Roof bit:

https://youtu.be/Xu4cayKJZJ4

Or the time Sylvester Stallone dropped by:

https://youtu.be/IV_AAZmsViM

Or the Kids Love District 9 and GoGurt segment:

https://youtu.be/8zM26E1SRiM

With over a decades worth of podcasts and over 250 episodes, there’s a lot of material out there. I’d recommend finding a movie you’re familiar with, jumping in there, and seeing how you like it before moving on. I discovered the show when Elliott was announced for MST3K, listened to some episodes where I’d seen the movie, and within a few days I had a favorite podcast. Some personal favorite episodes of mine are:

Bratz
Mirrors
Seven Pounds
Tango & Cash
The Oogieloves
Stolen
Food Fight
Easy Rider: The Ride Back
Fateful Findings
Nothing But Trouble
No Depo$it

Enjoy, happy flopping, and Merry Cagemas.

Visit them and subscribe flophousepodcast.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If it's hard to keep up with the densely woven web of inside jokes and running gags... well, at least you have some help.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Episode length has gotten kind of bloated over time, but you can always just turn it off after the review (and the mailbag song).

The energy hasn't seemed to change much since Elliot moved and started having to participate via Skype, hopefully they keep going for a while longer.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I sense I’m in the minority on this but I always enjoyed the letters section.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, the letters are great. I'm still waiting for that one guy to finally get his hat back for good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

Episode length has gotten kind of bloated over time, but you can always just turn it off after the review (and the mailbag song).

The energy hasn't seemed to change much since Elliot moved and started having to participate via Skype, hopefully they keep going for a while longer.

Yea I'm glad they're still doing well, Skype can be weird to use for podcasts but they still have the same flow and all.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TL posted:

Sure, the talk about your big Hollywood misfires (Batman v. Superman, Independence Day: Resurgance, Valerian and the City Of A Thousand Planets)
I skimmed right over this when I first opened the thread, but one of these is definitely not a big Hollywood misfire.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I skimmed right over this when I first opened the thread, but one of these is definitely not a big Hollywood misfire.

Fair point, is listened to it recently and it was on my mind.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TL posted:

No Depo$it

"Bring a stretcher for this Good Man...and two garbage bags for these pieces of poo poo."

I'm currently going through the back catalog for a second time...I think this is one of the most easily relistenable podcasts I'm subscribed to. Between the recaps, the recurring jokes, and the regular banter I can never remember everything from any given episode - i.e., listening to the No Good Deed episode over the weekend and rediscovering that it features the origin of Radio Zork and the digression about possible Idris Elba Bond films (Ian Fleming's "Who Goes There? It's James Bond" Starring Idris Elba and Too Many Donkeys!) There was an episode I heard recently where Elliot used the phrase "Dr. Crazy's Crime Asylum" and sent me into a laughing fit while I was making dinner, but now I can't remember what episode or the context. I probably won't rediscover it for a good half a year!

I have been pretty impressed that they transition to Elliot Skypeing in has gone so well (LA helicopter traffic notwithstanding,) but it would be nice if they could record the audio on both ends and stitch it together, MBMBaM style. A minor complaint, though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

JethroMcB posted:

There was an episode I heard recently where Elliot used the phrase "Dr. Crazy's Crime Asylum" and sent me into a laughing fit while I was making dinner, but now I can't remember what episode or the context. I probably won't rediscover it for a good half a year!
The one that's been bugging me is trying to remember when Elliott said, "All dogs go to Heaven... all humans go to Hell."

JethroMcB posted:

I have been pretty impressed that they transition to Elliot Skypeing in has gone so well (LA helicopter traffic notwithstanding,) but it would be nice if they could record the audio on both ends and stitch it together, MBMBaM style. A minor complaint, though.
I noticed a big improvement on the last episode. Maybe that's what they're doing now.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This podcast rules and so does elliot's voice

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
This pod rules and No Good Deed is the perfect intro ep for the exact reason brought up earlier: the Idris Elba as James Bond bit. "Too Many Ducklings" gave me one of the hardest laughs of my entire life. Chappie is also a good Baby's First Flop House ep.

The energy's a little less frantic with Elliott out of the room, at least in the initial few eps, but they're old pros at this. If you ever get to see a live show, do it! I've been to three Flop House tapings and they've all been fantastic.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Oogie loves #1!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Wait, what is this podcast about?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Come on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I started listening to this show about a week ago and I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a podcast than in the Christian Mingle episode when Stuart interrupts the plot synopsis to point out that the male lead sits "like a dude who doesn't gently caress".

Man I wish this show were weekly instead of biweekly. Also TL your OP fails to mention guest star Star of the Show Hallie Haglund.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 22, 2018

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Man I wish this show were weekly instead of biweekly. Also TL your OP fails to mention guest star Star of the Show Hallie Haglund.

Hallie’s star power is such that, had I started discussing her, no one would have read anything else. It would’ve been all Hallie, all the time.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

TL posted:

Hallie’s star power is such that, had I started discussing her, no one would have read anything else. It would’ve been all Hallie, all the time.

that is absolutely true and you can't be faulted for wanting to avoid blinding viewers with her power

I recently dug deep into the earliest episodes of this show and Stuart's "local idiot" persona is extremely exaggerated at that point, I am embarrassed at how much and how long I laugh every time he starts up with "wait...what??? you mean.... huh?? what happened??? i don't get it" also the audio quality is unbearably awful but that's just part of the package with early eps of any podcast so

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I live near the bar that Stuart owns. It's a nerd paradise- the bathroom walls are plastered with pages from Games Workshop RPG books and there's a board game night every Tuesday.

I don't listen to it that much because they go on so many tangents that it detracts from the review, but I did like the Ishtar episode.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

get that OUT of my face posted:

they go on so many tangents that it detracts from the review
:what:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
As far as recording errors go, I don’t know that this episode is as bad as the episode where the reggaeton station kept breaking in, but it was pretty close.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TL posted:

As far as recording errors go, I don’t know that this episode is as bad as the episode where the reggaeton station kept breaking in, but it was pretty close.

Is there any more ominous sound than the short version of the theme playing about 25 minutes into an episode?

The switch to internal mics/the Skype feed was bad, but not unlistenable. Still...you'd think they'd have their audio on lock by this point.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Given the number of times they had audio problems when they were all recording in the same room, it's a miracle they've pulled off remote recordings as well as they have.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Every time I'd try to listen to Flophouse I'd enjoy it up until they got to the email section where it was just fans regurgitating back inside jokes in the most unfunny and cringeworthy ways possible.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love Dan’s solo ad reads, particularly when he seems to be hammered while doing them.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

bartok posted:

Every time I'd try to listen to Flophouse I'd enjoy it up until they got to the email section where it was just fans regurgitating back inside jokes in the most unfunny and cringeworthy ways possible.

I think they've been better at filtering this (or they get more e-mail now and can ignore those requests) but yeah, it got bad for a while. Some of that traffic maybe went to Jumbotron messages though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I definitely don’t miss the very real and not made up at all letters about people’s dreams. They used to get those a lot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbZCsrOJ3Tk

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
As much as that video deserved to win the contest, this one was always my favorite entry.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgga9jeZxGo

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Love a guest host who sits about 80 feet from the mic and whispers the entire time. Audio mix was all over the place in general this week, but that really bugged me.

I definitely want to see Brainsmasher now, though, so it was a pretty good episode overall.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I’m glad that wasn’t just me. I generally listen in my car, and whenever she spoke I had to crank my volume all the way up, and even then I couldn’t hear her. Also, having your car volume all the way up physically hurts when Elliott starts speaking.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've probably listened to every episode 3 times since I started like 5 years ago. Good good podcast.

They seem a little more tired now with family and business responsibilities but it's still a quality listen.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Sherlock Gnomes: The sequel to Gnomeo and Juliet this week. Has an episode covering a crappy CG movie ever been disappointing?

"Ernest Avenges a Rape" got a huge laugh out of me, and then it just intensified as Dan acted as shocked as I was delighted.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Latest episode (Samson) starts out rough audio-wise, especially the guest's levels, but does seem to get better.

The guest vibes really well the floppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

Sherlock Gnomes: The sequel to Gnomeo and Juliet this week. Has an episode covering a crappy CG movie ever been disappointing?

"Ernest Avenges a Rape" got a huge laugh out of me, and then it just intensified as Dan acted as shocked as I was delighted.

My favorite part was right at the very beginning when Dan says the title of the movie and Stuart is just like "What."

• Locked thread