Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Now that I've got your attention with the thread tag...

The April contest thread was appropriately themed "Rhymes with Spring", and I managed to take the cake/trophy/giant belt buckle/whatever with this candid pic of two cardinals in the early days of their spring fling courtship.

Tailless cardinal and mate by President Beep, on Flickr

I'm sure they're married, so no worries about sinful lifestyle or any of that awful stuff.

Now it's my turn to further poo poo up the Dorkroom with my particular brand of awesomeness by making the May contest thread(!), and I'm tickled pink that I get to do such. In coming up with a theme, I first thought of going with something having to do with beginnings, but then I realized that's kind of a northern hemisphere-centric point of view, and that folks south of the Equator are in the midst of their autumn. Crazy! Therefore, this month's theme is contrasts. Contrast in color, contrast in theme, or even ~juxtaposition~ of subject(s). Go nuts, but be sure to include some kind of difference in your submission.

The duality of man. The Jungian thing, sir!
-Sergeant Joker, Full Metal Jacket

RULES:
This thread is for posting pics & voting.
1. One submission/poster. Note that you can change your submission as many times as you want, so long as you only have one entry when the voting begins! Edit your post to do this, please.
2. Single photos only - no video, triptychs, or multi-photo entries. Blending exposures into a single image (such as focus stacking, or HDR), is ok though.
3. Photos must be taken during the period of the contest. No pulling out old favorites!
4. Contest will be open until the last day of the month at 11:59 p.m. EST after which voting will begin.
5. Voting will continue until some time after that, probably around midnight the evening of the 2nd 3rd (because I’m a lazy delinquent).
6. Use your best judgement/good taste when venturing into :nws: territory.
7. When voting, please deploy the spoiler tag.

I or SoundMonkey reserve the right to change the rules in case I missed something really obvious that probably won't affect anyone.

Winner picks the next theme, and makes the new thread!

President Beep fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Someone has to go first.

Frenzy by B. B., on Flickr

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Sunrise Through Clouds by Ron Lee, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
In the middle of a yellow world-2-6482 on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

view from backstage
by ms, on Flickr

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

it could happen here by jason berger, on Flickr

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

firedance by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_2611.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Longs Peak Treeline by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Good heavens! Look at the time!

torgeaux posted:

Someone has to go first.

Frenzy by B. B., on Flickr

Let's see dem votes, goons! Spoiler tags, please.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Soulex

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
betterlek

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
torgeaux

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
joat mon

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
This was a good theme that produced a lot of really good pictures.
BetterLekNextTime

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Wild EEPROM

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

BetterLek

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
BetterLekNextTime

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
joat mon

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Wild EEPROM

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Better Lek

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
joat

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

baw

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Joat Mon

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Better Lek

I’d just like to say - there were some fantastic entries this round. Well done, all.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Wild EEPROM

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Torgeaux

I agree, many excellent submissions!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Alright, here are the results:

Soulex: 1

BetterLexNextTime: 6

torgeaux: 2

joat moan: 4

Wild EEPROM: 3

baw: 1

Looks like BetterLek takes the brass ring (I think I'm out of euphemisms for "win" at this point), so they get to make the June thread. Five golden manbabies to you, goon sire. :patriot:

President Beep fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 5, 2018

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow Bob Wow! Thanks everyone for a great contest this month. I'll get the next month's up soon.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Wow Bob Wow! Thanks everyone for a great contest this month. I'll get the next month's up soon.

Bird supremacy for two months running :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Bird supremacy for two months running :hf:

As it should be, my friend...

New thread is up.

• Locked thread