Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://200wordrpg.github.io/

quote:

Design a role-playing game using 200 words or less.

The 200 Word RPG Challenge is a small tabletop game design competition.

Submissions are open from now until May 28th! Scroll down for more details. You can view the entries submitted so far on this page.

Why? What is this?
This little challenge exists for two primary reasons:

1) Encourage participants to make a complete Role-Playing Game. It’s hard to work on a game, and much harder to finish one. This is an opportunity for participants to brainstorm, write, edit, playtest, and polish a game idea from start to finish.

2) To provide a collection of ideas that the community may build upon. These entries are released under the Creative Commons license to promote collaboration and innovation. It is our hope that new designers and old pros alike will use these interesting ideas and work together to expand them into something greater.
Why 200 Words?

A 200 word limit encourages creativity and demands the very best of your editing and writing abilities. While making a game in 200 words can be difficult, it’s less of a daunting commitment than editing and proofing 285 pages of rules, complete with art and layout.

Conceiving, designing, and publishing a 200 word game is a great first step toward completing larger game design projects.

Plaintext?
Visual presentation can be a large and scary problem. Very few people are masters of writing, editing, art direction, graphic design, layout, and marketing. It usually takes a village to make a game. We want participants to focus solely on the challenge of creative writing and brutal editing.

Entries will be accepted until the end of May 28th (23:99 EST)

Each participant may submit one entry. Entries cannot be corrected or changed once they are submitted. If you submit multiple entries only your first entry will be accepted. So make sure to double and triple check everything before you submit.
200 Words or Fewer

Each entry may not exceed 200 words. Judges will use the Site Wordcounter. Anything above 200 words will be immediately disqualified. The title, author name, and so on, will NOT count towards that limit.

It's an interesting bit of design challenge, and there's always a few goon entries so I figured we needed a place to chat about other submissions and work on ours. I also want to curate entries a bit, since there's often cool stuff in the mass of entries that could do with some attention.

List of Goon Entries for Vote Rigging:
Intervigilum, by Snorb: Game about paladins with a cool twist on a PBTA framework
Cocktail Barbarians by Rumble in the Bunghole, a drink creation game where you make mixers as your mechanic

Other Worthwhile Entries:
KALO MASH MUST DIE!: Simple but effective dungeon crawler with good flavour and an ascii minotaur face
An Uneasy Council Dr Magnethands combined with a bidding system and a Serious Wizard flavor
I've Been Seen With Farrah I think this guy got the name confused because this is a game about a superintelligent chimp and a stunt driver

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I just sent in an entry. Once it's uploaded, I'll link to that (and the two games I made last year.)

I stand by the disclaimer of "I didn't playtest this loving thing AT ALL." that one of them had.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Playtesting is for suckers, imo. Ideally the game is so high concept it cannot be played.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
To be fair, last year I noticed a pretty major rules loophole last year where you could punch a pirate ship over and over until it sinks. I debated fixing it (and possibly having to cut something) or leaving it in (as a, uh, "tribute" to D&D Third Edition rules fuckery.)

One of my friends convinced me to leave it in; he quoted Fist of the North Star as his argument.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
All right, I promised I was gonna post these, so here we are.

The 2018 Entry

Intervigilum, a game about paladins fighting the forces of the Dark.

The 2017 Entries

The ArrrPG, a game about being pirates that took a lot of inspiration from the Virtual Reality Adventure books.

Nakama, a not-playtested-like-at-all playing card game about being magical girls. Took some inspiration from Sailor Moon, PreCure, Nanoha, Cute Earth High Defense Club, and some kind of bizzaro alternate universe Princess: The Hopeful where it was actually optimistic.

I make no apologies for any of these.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I like intervigilum, the dark dice mechanic is really good. You've got a monopoly on the powerful goon voting block so I expect good things too

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 24, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I wrote an entry like a month ago, forgot about it, and just remembered this minute and entries close today. Just jammed this terrible idea into the entry form.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Playtesting is for suckers, imo. Ideally the game is so high concept it cannot be played.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
chuck a link so I can promote it in the OP, 2018 shall be the year of the goon

Also I submitted Cocktail Barbarians, a drink creation game where you make mixers as your main mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

rumble in the bunghole posted:

chuck a link so I can promote it in the OP, 2018 shall be the year of the goon

Also I submitted Cocktail Barbarians, a drink creation game where you make mixers as your main mechanic

It's not up yet, but I also wrote a game about drinking. With possibly the worst mechanic possible, wherein to do a thing you describe what you are going to do and then have to drink and you succeed when someone else says stop.

• Locked thread