Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

What is this show about?

From Wikipedia:
Krypton is an American television series developed by David S. Goyer for Syfy. The series takes place on the eponymous fictional planet, approximately 200 years before the birth of Kal-El / Superman and eventual destruction of the planet, focusing on his grandfather, Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe). Krypton premiered on March 21, 2018. Its first season consists of ten episodes. In May 2018, Syfy renewed Krypton for a second season, which is expected to premiere in 2019.

Is it any good?

I've just finished the first season. The first half of the season is a slog to get through and you're wondering where it's even going. The last half of the season is excellent. It's best for a binge-watch.

We already know that Krypton explodes, so isn't it all pointless?

Three words: Time travel fuckery. It doesn't go how you think it's going to go.

Do we get Superman/Kal-El?

You get his cape. However, you do get several other characters from the Superman mythos (and DC Comics mythos) who are either name-dropped or show up in the show, including: Adam Strange, Brainiac, General Dru-Zod, Doomsday, Jax-Ur.

I'm surprised I didn't see a thread for this, and while it isn't as good as say, Gotham in terms of the character interactions, it's definitely more focused than Flash/Arrow/Legends series are due to the shorter season length. It's almost like Game of Thrones meets comic book scenery chewing.

I didn't see a thread for it here, but I definitely recommend the show if you're a fan of Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I've not read a lot of Superman comics so some of the mythos may be lost on me but if this is based around the Man of Steel universe then I am down for that.

Oooh it is available for streaming through my provider, I think I know what I will binge this weekend!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LLJKSiLk posted:

Is it any good?

I've just finished the first season. The first half of the season is a slog to get through and you're wondering where it's even going. The last half of the season is excellent. It's best for a binge-watch.

:same: It's probably because starting at like episode 5 they stop putting so much focus on Seg, who is a pretty mediocre protagonist.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay but like... what's it about? I've been waiting for the season to finish and reviews to come out before ever touching this thing, because what the gently caress ever happened on Krypton that anyone cared about other than Superman and a few people who would later fight Superman?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

Okay but like... what's it about? I've been waiting for the season to finish and reviews to come out before ever touching this thing, because what the gently caress ever happened on Krypton that anyone cared about other than Superman and a few people who would later fight Superman?

The gist is comics D-lister Adam Strange goes back in time to stop one of Superman's enemies from changing the timeline and preventing him from being born.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The gist is comics D-lister Adam Strange goes back in time to stop one of Superman's enemies from changing the timeline and preventing him from being born.

That's about as much as someone can tell you without the story being spoiled. Basically, think of this as an Else-worlds story. Someone is going back in time to gently caress with what you know.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I was just watching the show at my leisure after airing, it was an OK way to spend an hour. Then episode 5 hit and catapulted it straight to live watching for the rest of the season and I didn't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah wow I thought I would catch this on the weekend but I was hooked after the first episode and just binged the whole thing.

I gotta say I actually really liked having an all-British cast, it gives the Kryptonian society this extra layer of posh that seems oddly appropriate

• Locked thread