Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Problem description:
After installing a new GPU and restoring an older image of my Windows 10 partition to refresh it, everything goes downhill. Glitches in Chrome, Windows Update getting corrupted, Windows 10 and 7 refusing to reinstall, corrupt files found by CHKDSK. The new graphics card's introduction probably has nothing to do with it. I've seen a HHD fail before. But I don't know what failing SSD looks like. Is that what's happening?

My personal data on the drive in question is backed up. That's not an issue. But I can't get any Windows to run on my SSD again.

Attempted fixes: (AKA repeated failures)
Bought a new GPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.
Restored a months-old image my of Windows 10 partition with Clonezilla, uninstalled its display drivers, and physically installed the new GPU, removing the one one.
Things seem to go OK at first. Windows seems normal.
Windows Update won't install the new Spring update 1803. Tried Update Assistant. Tried sfc /scannow, DISM, Update troubleshooter, etc. The Windows Update database is corrupted somehow and I can't fix it. I can still boot into Windows normally.
Tried restoring an older Win10 image from Fall 2017, but now, I can't get the desktop or explorer to load after the sign-in screen. Even if I try to open it in the task manager. Safe Mode and etc won't boot Windows fully.
Tried restoring an older Win10 image again, but things get worse. Windows no longer boots, saying "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME" or wrong system configuration. Boot repair doesn't work.
I tried restoring other partition images again, even ones that had worked at first, and I still can't boot Windows at all.
Try using bootrec /fixmbr, etc. It can't recognize the Windows installation on the Windows 10 image even though the files are there.
Using a Linux boot drive with a GUI to inspect the windows drives, but Linux complains that they were not unmounted in Windows correctly or are "dirty"
Try CHKDSK /F... (At this point it had been like 12 hours since I started this crap so what I did when his kinda hazy)
I try to see what happens if I reinstall Windows 10 from an installation USB. It doesn't give me the option to repair Windows.
I try remaking the partitions from the command prompt in the Recovery Environment. After using DISKPART or CHKDSK, the prompt sometimes does not return to cursor to me and open the prompt again after I complete an action on my C: drive. I've never seen that happen before.
Tried installing Windows 7 from an install USB. Installation completed, but it won't boot either.
I tried installing Windows 10 (on a different USB, which now works) over the incomplete Windows 7 installation. It too almost booted and then failed.
Your PC needs to be repaired; The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors. error code 0xc0000225
Boot options and startup repair and command line stuff like BOOTREC don't help
Now CHKDSK finds a shitton of corrupt files on C:
The boot failure display different errors on different tries, like "The operating system couldn't be loaded because the HAL is missing or contains errors"
What else is there to try?

TL;DR: I installed a new GPU successfully (?), tried to restore an image of my Windows 10 partition, Windows update broke, my Clonezilla images broke, and my Windows 10 installation USB also broke, and when I did get Win 7 and 10 to install they couldn't boot either. :cry:

Recent changes:
The GPU installation is the obvious thing. THat involved opening the case, removing another graphics card, etc. But things seemed normal at first.

Not-recent changes:
Less than a year ago my PC spontaneously decided it wouldn't boot Windows 10. Trying to fix the boot with a bootable Windows 10 USB installer wouldn't help. But I was able to restore a backup clonezilla image, and then things were OK after that. I still don't know why it happened in the first place.
Also, the most recent major Windows 10 version updates failed and failed again at first. I had to uninstall my video drivers before updating, and then it installed.

Seasonally I restore and update and clone my C: drive so that my Windows installation feels fresh, but doesn't require that I start from scratch every time. It's been working for years. But could the cycle of restoring these images 4 times a year or so has put stress on the drive, making it fail?

Operating system: Windows 10 x64, with guest appearances by Windows 7 and Linux. Only Linux USB actually boots currently.

System specs:
SDD in question: Samsung mz7pd256hcgm-000h7 (bought 3 years ago, OEM from ebay)
2 other SATA HHDs & a Bluray drive
new GPU, MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
ASUS M4A77TD
AMD Athlon II X4 2.9 GHz
Seasonic SS-600HT Power Supply - 600W

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Do you have access to any other video card to try? Failing that, can you clean the slot you're using with compressed air and reseat your existing card? When in doubt about the success of a hardware upgrade, open everything back up and do it all again, except slowly and more carefully. You'd be amazed how often that fixes things. And if you still have your old video card, putting everything back to exactly the way it was before you started the upgrade can help narrow down issues in cases like this.

In general I really would not expect an SSD to go south so quickly after an unrelated upgrade. If anything I would double check that you didn't bump a drive connector slightly loose while you were doing the video card upgrade.

Soulkys
Sep 7, 2008

The beast of Tanagra
How old is the SSD? Has it been re-imaged a lot?

I'll admit that I didn't read most of what you wrote so i'll just throw in that flash cells in a SSD are susceptible to wear and can fail for the same reasons segments on a platter HDD fail.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
OK, I connected an old sata drive I had, put Windows 7 on it, and used it to reformat the SSD yet again, and at first its Windows partition was unreadable. After formatting it in windows again, it started to appear to work as normal. Crystal Disk Info said the SSD was good. Next I re-did the SATA connections for all the drive and power cables, but I didn't put the old GPU back.

And now... the drive is acting fine! :confuoot: I was able to restore my clonezilla images from before, ran the new Windows 10 upgrade 1803 from a USB drive, and everything's updated now. I put everything back in its place and now it's like nothing bad ever happened. Great, but WTF?

Soulkys posted:

How old is the SSD? Has it been re-imaged a lot?

I'll admit that I didn't read most of what you wrote so i'll just throw in that flash cells in a SSD are susceptible to wear and can fail for the same reasons segments on a platter HDD fail.

Yes, it has been re-imaged many, many times I do it a couple times a year on purpose or whenever I need to fix something. It's my method of keeping Windows fresh. So that is what I'm concerned about. How will I know when it's time for the SSD to die? These past few days I was sure it was dead, but then suddenly it gets up and says "oh, ha, no I'm just fine!"

This is great, but still worrying. Why would my boot drive go crazy for so long for seemingly no reason? Back in August or so, this same drive also had a shorter incident like this, where it wouldn't boot for no reason at all, but worked better after I restored an image. And every major Windows 10 update that's come up in the past year seems to fail at first before I try it again. But Crystal Disk Info says it's good.

quote:

I'll admit that I didn't read most of what you wrote
That section's a mess, but I just wanted to convey that I was trying like really really hard

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 4, 2018

• Locked thread