Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Blue Train posted:

You absolutely heard about it when pintos were catching on fire when hit from behind. It's almost like they are publicized when there are glaring design flaws

nice bias Blue Train!! *hits a pedestrian*

*spontaneously catches fire* youre bias is showing!

*drives into a full school bus*

*costs $200,000* stop being so biased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

i love every bit about this

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

luv2see my favorite ceos and brands make wacky tweets at each other

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reminder that elon musk threatens his workers when they start grumbling about unionising

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Blue Train posted:

You absolutely heard about it when pintos were catching on fire when hit from behind. It's almost like they are publicized when there are glaring design flaws
Ford Pinto:

NHTSA posted:

1971–1976 Ford Pintos have experienced moderate speed, rear-end collisions that have resulted in fuel tank damage, fuel leakage, and fire occurrences that have resulted in fatalities and non-fatal burn injuries ... The fuel tank design and structural characteristics of the 1975–1976 Mercury Bobcat which render it identical to contemporary Pinto vehicles, also render it subject to like consequences in rear impact collisions.

Tesla Model S:

NHTSA posted:

After reviewing all available data, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has not found evidence at this time that would indicate the recent battery fire involving a Tesla Model S was the result of a vehicle safety defect or noncompliance with federal safety standards.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Elukka posted:

Ford Pinto:

Tesla Model S:

ford pinto cost in 1971 - $2000 ($12,374 in 2018 dollars)

tesla model s cost in 2018 - $74,500

also we have a lot of regulations that exist today that didn't in 1971!!

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Elukka posted:

Any social system in history, our current one included, is flawed. The struggle to improve the system is always important, but it's not the only thing that matters, nor the only thing that one can be interested in. Everything good and cool and neat happens in that flawed context. The sentiment that everything should be torn down right now because hey it's flawed lacks perspective and doesn't help improve anything.

A dead Elon would improve our social system.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Verisimilidude posted:

What does this have to do with anything? He was saying "look, I found these cases of Model S fires, glaring design flaw!" and equating it to the Pinto. I posted to show that investigation results show that the Pinto did have a glaring design flaw and the Model S does not. Pinto did not pass 70's regulations. Model S passes today's regulations.

Electric vehicles in general have differing fire risks compared to regular cars. There is no indication they are madly dangerous or prone to fires, in general or in the case of the Model S.

IDONTPOST posted:

A dead Elon would improve our social system.
nah

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Verisimilidude posted:

ford had 80 years to get it right and the pinto wasn't exactly cutting-edge r&d in 1971. Their first models were really expensive too - the model B also cost $2000 ($54000 in 2018 dollars)

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

Cars still catch on fire all the time. All the safety regulations in the world can't stop the laws of physics.

Put someone in a complicated wheeled machine and fill it with flammable liquid and the power it with tiny explosions and propel it into stuff abd poo poo will go bad no matter what.

With teslas it's the same but with giant cell phone batteries instead of burning dino juice.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Multiple actual car makers currently make 200+ mile range cars under $40k, a feat that Tesla still has not accomplished. Nobody buys them though.

What car models would those be? Assuming we're talking EPA range there's the Chevy Bolt/Opel Ampera-E and...? There are some cars that get 200+ miles under NEDC but NEDC is 100% bullshit (under NEDC the model S is a 400 mile car)

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 6, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Elukka posted:

What does this have to do with anything? He was saying "look, I found these cases of Model S fires, glaring design flaw!" and equating it to the Pinto.

I was speaking about the undercarriage being unshielded and they pushed a software update that raised the ride height and put an aluminum shield under it and the ntsb said we won't continue investigating because tesla pinkie swore it would be fine

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

And as far as the charging fires go, they determined if there was a short circuit it would burn down so they had to change it so it would stop charging if it detected one, which seems pretty common sense. Both things are design flaws, hth

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Elukka posted:

The struggle to improve the system is always important, but it's not the only thing that matters,

Class war is the only war friend

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Blue Train posted:

And as far as the charging fires go, they determined if there was a short circuit it would burn down so they had to change it so it would stop charging if it detected one, which seems pretty common sense. Both things are design flaws, hth

Please stop bullying the poor son of a mining magnate you bully. Let him build his toys in peace.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sedisp posted:

Please stop bullying the poor son of a mining magnate you bully. Let him build his toys in peace.

Pyromania is a part of the macdonald triad, I hope he gets the help he needs before he kills again

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Blue Train posted:

I was speaking about the undercarriage being unshielded and they pushed a software update that raised the ride height and put an aluminum shield under it and the ntsb said we won't continue investigating because tesla pinkie swore it would be fine
Yeah I'm sure it's actually dangerous and regulators (in every country in concert I suppose) are giving it a free pass because :argh: Musk.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm sure the people whose cars burned to the ground would agree with you

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
When elon musk's empire crumbles and fades away I hope grimes makes some sick songs about it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

When elon musk's empire crumbles and fades away I hope grimes makes some sick songs about it.

Elon wears his car wounds like a crown
He calls his child Nevada 'cause he likes the name
And he sends him to the finest school in town

Elon, Elon likes his money
He makes a lot they say
Spends his days counting
In a mansion by the waterway

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This thread needs a little less billionaire rear end-kissing and a little more :toxx:ing

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

His workers get exposed to way too much :toxx: as it is

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

buglord posted:

i love every bit about this

The sonic tweet is good, the rick and morty tweet is bad. Sonic confirmed better than rick and morty

Woden
May 6, 2006

NihilismNow posted:

What car models would those be? Assuming we're talking EPA range there's the Chevy Bolt/Opel Ampera-E and...? There are some cars that get 200+ miles under NEDC but NEDC is 100% bullshit (under NEDC the model S is a 400 mile car)

Bolts are cool, I've read they're only made to meet some weird regulation that'll allow them to sell more trucks. That's also why they're so cheap and why production wont increase.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Enough retarded defense of his lovely car company that is still researching..... something.... Despite electric cars already being on the market for years now. Thank God those early adopters are helping Tesla research.... something!

Elon Musk wanted to start a (website? company?) to rank media outlets on their trustworthiness lmao like an even more retarded verritt backed by a billionaire no less.

What a loving maroon, this Elon Musk guy.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Woops I was gonna post some more funny poo poo about Elon Musk but my fingers got crushed in his crappy rear end factory. Typing hurts now. Plz report this 2 Elon directly so he can take care of it personally

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Streak posted:

Woops I was gonna post some more funny poo poo about Elon Musk but my fingers got crushed in his crappy rear end factory. Typing hurts now. Plz report this 2 Elon directly so he can take care of it personally

his autonomous safety crew will handle the situation according to his will (with extreme prejudice)

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

gently caress unions guys I’ll build a rollercoaster in the parking lot instead.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

IDONTPOST posted:

gently caress unions guys I’ll build a rollercoaster in the parking lot instead.

how about a waterslide? like that verukt one!!

make sense since he loves building lovely, poorly engineered things that cause trauma and injury and death

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

IDONTPOST posted:

build it out of BACON for an epic win!!!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Blue Train posted:

I'm sure the people whose cars burned to the ground would agree with you
Yes cars frequently burn down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CharlestonJew posted:

there's only like, 5 teslas out on the roads now so that's a pretty big percentage

That's not a proper sample size.

• Locked thread