Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Welcome to the thread for Saudi Arabia's national team. They last took part in the World Cup in 2006, and have won the tournament once.

The king of Saudi Arabia, the president of Egypt and an unidentified fan pose with the trophy.

The Guardian says this about the team:

quote:

Saudi Arabia may be the lowest-ranked qualifiers but there is never a dull moment when the Green Falcons are around. Few managers last more than a year in the hottest of hot seats but Bert van Marwijk was in charge for two and led the team to a first World Cup since 2006. It was not always pretty but the side took maximum points from the weakest teams and did enough against Japan and Australia to squeeze into the second automatic spot. Days later Van Marwijk was heading home after a disagreement with the Saudi FA, replaced by Edgardo Bauza. The Argentinian lasted two months and five friendlies before getting the boot. Three days before the draw in Moscow, Juan Antonio Pizzi – who led Chile to the 2016 Copa América but could not take them to Russia – was appointed. His squad has some talent but lack international experience. There has been talk of arranging La Liga loans. It sounds impractical but who knows?

I have to say that I completely agree with their analysis.

I have done some research about Falcons and I found some great insights from Keith Prather, Managing Director at Armada Corporate Intelligence and big fan of the team

quote:

Sometimes, all of us play a falcon role. We are aggressive. We hunt on the fly and we cover a lot of territory quickly searching for targets of opportunity. We use speed and finesse to jump on an opportunity when we see one, and we use a limited but effective set of best-in-class tools to make sure that our pursuit is effective (like a falcon uses its eyesight, speed, and dexterity to attack prey).

Those skills sounds very promising, and should help them to pick apart the defences of group rivals Russia, Egypt and Uruguay, and to hunt pigeons and ducks. In addition, they can build Mamluks and Madrassas, and purchase worhsip buildings for just 10% of the usual Faith cost. However, he also points out some vulnerabilities.

quote:

1. If you are a falcon and you are forced to work with or for another falcon, you are probably already seeing personality conflicts. Often, when two falcons are thrown together – they end up fighting. It’s like getting two “high D’s - drivers” together. And, let's be honest. When two falcons go at it - normally one of them is going to lose and both are likely to get hurt.

2. The only time two falcons really work well together is when there is offspring (a common goal where personal gain is put on the back-burner for the greater good of the species - personal gain is not the objective). In other words, there has to be clearly established mutual objectives before they opt to pool their talents, combine their aggression toward their common goal and work together. If you choose to use your falcon approach with a falcon leader, you better be on the same page, clearly have the same objectives, and create a mutually beneficial outcome. Choose wrong, and you'll get the talons.

If you are approaching a true falcon-dominant type of leader, it’s important to go in eyes wide open - and you may have to shift your personality and let your 'inner owl' come out.

Arguably the two biggest stars of the team

Here is the squad, the 23 heros that will have the honor and responsibility of representing this powerful country. There was controversy over some of the choices but it's time to move on and trust the decisions of the coach. I have bolded one player per position, I leave the meaning of that up for interpretation.

Goalkeepers: Mohammed Al Owais (Al Ahli), Yasser Al Mosailem (Al Ahli), Abdullah Al Mayouf (Al Hilal)

Defenders: Mansoor Al Harbi (Al Ahli), Yasser Al Shahrani (Al Hilal) Mohammed Al Breik (Al Hilal), Motaz Hawsawi (Al Ahli), Osama Hawsawi (Al Hilal), Omar Hawsawi (Al Nassr), Ali Al Bulaihi (Al Hilal)

Midfielders: Abdullah Al Khaibari (Al Shabab), Abdulmalek Al Khaibri (Al Hilal), Abdullah Otayf (Al Hilal), Taiseer Al Jassim (Al Ahli), Houssain Al Mogahwi (Al Ahli), Salman Al Faraj, Mohamed Kanno (both Al Hilal), Hattan Bahebri (Al Shabab), Salem Al Dawsari (Al Hilal), Yahya Al Shehri (Al Nassr), Fahad Al Muwallad (Al Ittihad)

Forwards: Mohammad Al Sahlawi (Al Nassr), Muhannad Assiri (Al Ahli)

Many are saying this is a golden generation, one of the best ever in Saudi football. I think that's for historians to decide, all I know is that I'm looking forward to enjoying what they have in store.

poty fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
:orb:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

australia stole their manager lol

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I got this lot in the sweepstakes :emo:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I hope Russia destroy Saudi Arabia and that we are rid of the wahibbi dipshits forever :twisted:

Not arsed about the footy tho

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Bape Culture posted:

I hope Russia destroy Saudi Arabia and that we are rid of the wahibbi dipshits forever :twisted:

:vince:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bape Culture posted:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

poty posted:

Hattan Bahebri (Al Shabab)

Uhh this guy wouldn't happen to frequent Somalia would he? :stonklol:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Bape Culture posted:

:perfect:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Fanatic posted:

Uhh this guy wouldn't happen to frequent Somalia would he? :stonklol:

Why? I don’t get it

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

poty posted:

Why? I don’t get it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Shabaab_(militant_group)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Al Shabab is the name of his team, not the player. According to that wiki it means “the guys”, which is a very relaxed name for both a football team and an organization of terrorist monsters

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

poty posted:

Al Shabab is the name of his team, not the player. According to that wiki it means “the guys”, which is a very relaxed name for both a football team and an organization of terrorist monsters

Yeah, kind of unfortunate it got misappropriated like that.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Shabaab" means "youth," "young men," or "young people." It is the plural form of "Shabb," which to my knowledge exclusively means "young man."

"Al" means "the."

KomodoWagon fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 10, 2018

poty
Jun 21, 2008

It’s pilgrimaging to Mecca

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Al-bundy

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
dont know if these boys will manage to win the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia tbh

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

poty posted:

Many are saying this is a golden generation, one of the best ever in Saudi football

Sad if true.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Der Shovel posted:

Sad if true.

Many people are idiots though

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Five lashings to each player.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

KomodoWagon posted:

"Shabaab" means "youth," "young men," or "young people." It is the plural form of "Shabb," which to my knowledge exclusively means "young man."

"Al" means "the."

The Borland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

My hopes and dreams for this team have collapsed like a house of cards. I apologize if you feel fooled by me, I was fooled myself. Blinded by the hype, I couldn’t see the obvious: this team is very bad

• Locked thread