Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thanks for your bad opinions on Alt.

Well, Alt's a bad show, after all. It earned bad opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

chefscientist posted:

I shot myself in the foot by checking wikipedia and saw both Alt and Prog are written by the same thundering boob. I hate all of it so far. 3 eps to go on Alt and I hate it. This is on par with writing in the 20th season of the Simpsons written by fans for the mutants who still tune in.

Dude if you don't like 3 episodes out of a 6 episode show I don't know why you're still watching. I'm a masochist who watches a bunch of poo poo but even I can realize when I'm literally halfway through a run that it's probably not gonna magically get better.

Anyway I didn't like the finale but that leaves me with 5 and a half episodes that I did like so overall win.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
FLCLassic is a very important show, I still remember watching the first one on a Chinese sub and high on flu pills.

I finished it Alt. You could delete episodes 2,3 and 4 and it'd be a better show. Develop the relationship with Pets. I felt like George McCarthy was screaming for Ringo Starr at the end; this was the other Beatle you were in love with? I had no idea! I'd actually want to see more of that.

I will admit I'm an old man, but there's a throughline of bad and dense throughts from Progressive through Alt. There's still too many call backs and nods to FLClassic (when Pets Mom starts stalking toward her like a robot like when Naota's dad was a robot? gently caress off). I don't get the plot and I don't think one actually exists in either show, but the slow lives of regular girls is a lot better than whatever they were trying to push in Progressive.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I enjoyed Alternative more than Progressive, but in the end I didn't think either of them were very good.

They both spent a lot of energy wanting to be FLCL, and being very bad at it. Progressive came out worse for it because of how focused it was on "remember how wacky FLCL was?" to the exclusion of anything else, like narrative or characterization. Of the two of them, Alternative at least felt like there was a potentially decent drama somewhere in there buried underneath all the obligatory badly-executed FLCL stuff.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They really shouldn't have an official timeline.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Was there any reason for Prog and Alt to be six episodes each other than the original being six episodes?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

chefscientist posted:

I finished it Alt. You could delete episodes 2,3 and 4 and it'd be a better show. Develop the relationship with Pets. I felt like George McCarthy was screaming for Ringo Starr at the end; this was the other Beatle you were in love with? I had no idea! I'd actually want to see more of that.
I mean this is a good point if you paid absolutely no attention to the show?

Episode five is predicated both on Kana's interactions with her friends AND the lack of any real relationship with Pets. If you get rid of all the stuff showing her regular interactions with her friends and their problems, then episode five falls apart when Pets undermines everything we've seen Kana do up until now as coming from Kana's own selfishness and fear of change. That's why no relationship with Pets is really shown, because Kana is kind of a crappy person who only cares about her friends when it suits her. Really, episodes 2-4 did develop their relationship by showing that Kana had very little regard for Pets at all.

Also, I think you're picking up queer subtext when it doesn't exist. I mean, FLCL in 2018 should have been way more queer than what we got, but I think the declaration of love was purely platonic despite my wishing it wasn't. That wouldn't make much sense, because the series is mostly focused on non-romantic relationships. Which is a bummer, because a FLCL series about a teen coming to terms with sexuality or gender identity would probably work really well with the weird poo poo the franchise is about.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Who is George McCarthy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Who is George McCarthy

Chief Secretary of the Cayman Islands.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pants Donkey posted:

I mean this is a good point if you paid absolutely no attention to the show?

Episode five is predicated both on Kana's interactions with her friends AND the lack of any real relationship with Pets. If you get rid of all the stuff showing her regular interactions with her friends and their problems, then episode five falls apart when Pets undermines everything we've seen Kana do up until now as coming from Kana's own selfishness and fear of change. That's why no relationship with Pets is really shown, because Kana is kind of a crappy person who only cares about her friends when it suits her. Really, episodes 2-4 did develop their relationship by showing that Kana had very little regard for Pets at all.

Also, I think you're picking up queer subtext when it doesn't exist. I mean, FLCL in 2018 should have been way more queer than what we got, but I think the declaration of love was purely platonic despite my wishing it wasn't. That wouldn't make much sense, because the series is mostly focused on non-romantic relationships. Which is a bummer, because a FLCL series about a teen coming to terms with sexuality or gender identity would probably work really well with the weird poo poo the franchise is about.

The gayest things got was Progressive where two dudes just sort of got tangled together and that's it. They're gay.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

dungeon cousin posted:

Was there any reason for Prog and Alt to be six episodes each other than the original being six episodes?

Cheaper. Make two "seasons" out of one cour.

e: in fact I bet Adult Swim wanted to commission six to begin with but had to order a full cour which is why we got FLCL2&3 announced at once.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just got around to finishing this, show was good.

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, I think you're picking up queer subtext when it doesn't exist.
I mean, they make a point of having Kana say she doesn't know why she's talking about love during the Mass Produced Canti fight before triumphantly yelling about how much she loves Petz so hard that it opens up a wormhole to the place that Petz is going.

In addition, an earlier episode has her turning down the closest thing to a male romantic lead in the show.

She gay.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's worth pointing out that in Japanese "ai" means "love" and "suki" means "like" which is often used in that "like like" way or in place of love while at the same time not necessarily being the literal definition of love either. In the Japanese dub she says "daisuki" and the English dub deliberately chose to interpret that as "love" for probably quite a few reasons.

Not suggesting that gayness isn't the intention, but I'm always mega conscious of a dub's choices. Linguistically they're committing to interpretations sourced from a very vague language.

• Locked thread