Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
I can remember taking my Gamecube to the beach once when I was a kid and playing "Spider-man" (2002) on it. The first level to feature The Shocker took place in Grand Central Station, and I would walk around for hours as Spider-man, pretending that it was a mall and that I was hanging out at all the stores with the civilians the mission requires you to rescue. It rained for most of the trip, so I got to know my way around "the mall" pretty well. :dota101:

What are some of your memories of vacation gaming, Imp Zone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
a guy walking ona small cart on the beach with 500 of

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

One year when my family went to Ocean City we found a Sega Genesis in a dresser drawer in one of the bedrooms, I think the previous occupants of the room left it there by mistake or something. So I played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 instead of hanging out on the beach.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I was in Turks and Caicos some years ago and brought my old college gaming laptop because I had a raid schedule to maintain, so the third night we were there I went back to my hotel room early, ordered room service and a bottle of wine and absolutely destroyed Greenscale’s Blight in RIFT with the goon guild

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

two of these, a gameboy, and a cig lighter powerstrip kept me sane through multiple 24 road trips to new york when I was growing up

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I've been on a proper vacation away from home two times in my life and I didn't have a game system. However, going to Disney World made me wish I was home playing RollerCoaster Tycoon.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lol RCT has permanently poisoned my mind, and now every roller coaster I think about g forces and enjoyment levels for the entire ride

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Focusing 100% of my attention on Advance Wars saved me from going insane due to the absurd number of daddy long legs in the cabin we rented

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well actually I went camping with my grandma a few times at Kezar Lake and Poland Springs and they had a cabin with the arcade game Tumble Pop in there, which is what I did if I wasn't sitting on a dock trying to mimic the call of the Loon. Which I got really good at until my voice dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTH30m87yL4

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Well actually I went camping with my grandma a few times at Kezar Lake and Poland Springs and they had a cabin with the arcade game Tumble Pop in there, which is what I did if I wasn't sitting on a dock trying to mimic the call of the Loon. Which I got really good at until my voice dropped.

lmao

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Wormskull posted:

badass

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Awesome.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
I remember sitting in the lobby of a Caesar's Palace with my mom when I was 8 or 9, playing Pokemon Silver and traveling all over the map trying to capture one of the legendary pokemon, Suicune. I never did catch it, and my dad ended up losing $150 at the blackjack table. :dota101:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Wormskull posted:

Win

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The red light on the GBA starts blinking and my heartrate triples.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I beat the Cthulhu looking boss in Final Fantasy Adventure right as we pulled up to the state fair one year. Weird bit of synchronicity is that years later we went back and I beat the same boss in Sword of Mana just as we were pulling up again

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

This

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
my family went to hawaii when i was a kid, and my brother and i spent most of the trip playing wind waker in our room. we visited about 90% of the islands before unlocking the song that lets you change the direction of the wind. it was p epic tbqh

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ol yeller posted:

I remember sitting in the lobby of a Caesar's Palace with my mom when I was 8 or 9, playing Pokemon Silver and traveling all over the map trying to capture one of the legendary pokemon, Suicune. I never did catch it, and my dad ended up losing $150 at the blackjack table. :dota101:

Same but making myself car sick over and over one summer where we went to the beach like every other weekend on that highway between Santa Cruz and San Jose playing pokemon silver. Anyway one of my parents 'friends' that I later realized was clearly just there to buy meth overwrote my save where I was at blue with a great team and I never played it again

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In Training posted:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
In late 2001 my family took a trip to San Diego and I misplaced my Gameboy Color the night before we left so the flash games on the promotional website for Wario Land 4 on my dad’s laptop was my only gaming for that whole week... the site is, sadly, lost to time now. F

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Wario's ARcade
YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

Wario's ARcade
YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My biggest gaming on Vacation memory was playing through the entirety of the awful Kingdom Hearts GBA game on a car trip to Florida. I brought plenty of batteries for that one.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I bought Terminator 2 on the Game Boy using holiday money hoping it would be just like T2: The Arcade Game. Turns out it was a terrible platformer and I had to play Kirby’s Dreamland for the rest of the holiday.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I found out that company kept the deal they had with nintendo past the 90s so some kids got to rent gamecube games at their hotel, even if I never saw one of these:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I could never convince my dad to let me rent a n64 game at a hotel

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

took my GameCube to the outer banks back in 2005 and beat resident evil 4 on hard mode. my sister and I sat it up on the 3rd floor of the beach house

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

I found out that company kept the deal they had with nintendo past the 90s so some kids got to rent gamecube games at their hotel, even if I never saw one of these:

Those things were doled out in hour long sessions, right? The thought of playing Paper Mario or Custom Robo for just one hour and that's all is completely insane

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spoderman posted:

Those things were doled out in hour long sessions, right? The thought of playing Paper Mario or Custom Robo for just one hour and that's all is completely insane
The goal is to shut your kids up for a few minutes before you drag them off to the next stupid vacation thing. Smart parents just realize that it's cheaper, easier, and more fun for everyone if you just buy them a drat Gamecube and leave them at home.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Evil Eagle posted:

My biggest gaming on Vacation memory was playing through the entirety of the awful Kingdom Hearts GBA game on a car trip to Florida. I brought plenty of batteries for that one.

The card battle game? I thought that was sick. I remember when my parents bought me a gameboy pocket for some big drive to canada and my only game was Star Wars: Return of the Jedi and it was way too hard for me. I could get through the first couple platforming levels but then there was some 3D Hoth AT-AT fight section and I was stuck on it eternally

Tipster
Mar 7, 2013

one year I brought my N64 to the beach house that my family rented with a few other families. I was playing Goldeneye with this girl and I did Slappers Only to try to make it more evenly matched. Except I guess the noise and the slight screen shake that happens when you get hit made her absolutely freak out and she ran away and tried to get me in trouble. This was probably 30 seconds after we started the match

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
My parents would set up a TV in the van and we would play PS1 on the way down to Florida.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Shoving a little TV in between the front seats of the SUV so I can play FF7 on the ride to Texas.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ol yeller posted:

Shoving a little TV in between the front seats of the SUV so I can play FF7 on the ride to Texas.

Badass.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

When I was a kid I had a next door neighbor whose dad was essentially a vagrant who supposedly had some kind of cool job and visited every few months but he lived on a bed in the back of a van with a bunch of weird radios and a tiny TV which I thought would be the most chillest life to have if he just had a N64 in there or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

• Locked thread