Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Problem description: New build, Win 10 64 bit, latest gen hw, Asrock Z370m-itx/ac mobo. Upon plugging in a Novation Impulse 25 midi keyboard into the USB ports, it "killed" two of them (so far.) - The ports work fine in BIOS, and can boot a USB thumb drive just fine. But in Windows 10, one specific pair of USB 3 ports just won't recognize a dang thing.

Attempted fixes: All the results on google about deleting USB controllers / hub controllers, looking for updated drivers, rebooting a million times, disabling the selectivesleep thing for power management, digging in bios options and toggling legacy support settings / restoring defaults

Recent changes: Problem came up after leaving Impulse 25 plugged into the ports, and they've been dead since. This is a newly built PC, installed fresh os.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: Intel I7-8700, Asrock Z370m-itx/ac, 32gb DDR4-3200, GTX 1080ti

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I'd offer the possibility that the ports are just fried other than the fact the BIOS can use them fine to access USB sticks and boot off of them 100% fine, EZPZ.

Any thoughts on how to force win10 pro to see them?

It's these two ports specifically, this pair:

Still no clue here..

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS:

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370M-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Yeah I've been on 2.10 which was the latest for a good long while, and looks like they just released a new 3.10 version a couple weeks ago, which I just updated to for the hell of it, and still no beans.

As soon as windows boots up, the ports just shut down entirely.

There's not a "Thing" where having the front panel USBs hooked up to the header on the mainboard disables a pair on the back, is there?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sniep posted:

There's not a "Thing" where having the front panel USBs hooked up to the header on the mainboard disables a pair on the back, is there?

Not that I've heard about. That'd be pretty annoying.

I might try exchanging the motherboard if possible.

• Locked thread