Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

GrandpaPants posted:

What are people's (non-whale) spending strategies? I've only been playing for like a month, but drat if I'm not jealous of people pulling all these 7*'s while I'm still using a team comprised of whatever 5*'s I pulled and like, Ashe. Do you do the daily 250 lapis pull or do you just save up for the step ups on banners you care about?

In the 7* era you gotta save for the banners with good units. Random 5*s are pretty worthless.

I think you either horde your lapis for really specific dual banners with the 25k step up or you hit the 11k step ups for single units when they come around and then try to pull another copy with the tickets.

Either way: horde for step ups. Daily Quests are almost worthless these days because even pulling an on banner 5* is potentially just going to make you sink your resources into trying to pull another one with tickets.

Speaking as someone that hoarded a hundred tickets+ for CG Nichol and spent them all to get 1 copy, I think the best use of tickets is to just try and grab a full party of King Mog bonus units. Obviously, try to save those 10/30% rainbow tickets for a banner that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For greater context, I currently have ~11k lapis and some number of rare tickets. My current team, which is (all at 6*): 2B, Orlandeau, Eiko, Ashe, and Elfreeda. My only other 5*'s are Lightning, Pure Summoner Rydia, and Dark Knight Cecil. I obviously still have the fan select summon ready, but I'll wait for a few of the 10+1's before I pull the trigger on it. Any advice for what to aim for (either now or in the near future) would be appreciated!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
If you're still newer, don't chase 7*s for now until you save up a nice pile of lapis and tickets and a big banner comes along. You'll be fine with 6*s and goon friend units.

If you don't have enough lapis to do a full lap on a step up, don't pull at all. Save for the good step ups, pull, then use your ticket stash to hopefully make it up when you only get one of the two units you need to 7*. Also pull for a few bonus units for mog king events, you'll need them to farm out the UoC ticket.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I pulled a second Sieghard off of a 'heck with it' 10+1, what's the dream gearing for him? It sounds like he's really good. I still think I'm missing some evade gear, but I do have most of the provoke things.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Echophonic posted:

I pulled a second Sieghard off of a 'heck with it' 10+1, what's the dream gearing for him? It sounds like he's really good. I still think I'm missing some evade gear, but I do have most of the provoke things.

The premium build is 100% passive provoke, 100% dodge, and 100% status immune. For the provoke you need the recent “K Producers Jacket” which we got this summer during the anniversary and a moogle plushie TMR shield from Iris.

Status immune best comes from CG Fina’s TMR hairpin of purity. Without that you can still get the build accomplished by using Discernment TMR, but then you need the extra 5% dodge on Tetra Sylpheed’s board.

The 100% dodge requires two ring of Luci’s from Noctis, a weapon with 5% dodge, true spirit of freedom from the FF14 raid, then three 10% dodge materias from any source.

I’ve still got friend slots available if anybody wants to take mine out for a spin.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ah, I think I'm missing the True Spirit of Freedom. I was taking a break when they did that event. Hopefully they bring that back around or introduce more dodge stuff. I'm only 5% shy of being able to pull this off.

I do have two Hairpins and the rest of that stuff.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 13, 2018

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

arisu posted:

If you're still newer, don't chase 7*s for now until you save up a nice pile of lapis and tickets and a big banner comes along. You'll be fine with 6*s and goon friend units.

If you don't have enough lapis to do a full lap on a step up, don't pull at all. Save for the good step ups, pull, then use your ticket stash to hopefully make it up when you only get one of the two units you need to 7*. Also pull for a few bonus units for mog king events, you'll need them to farm out the UoC ticket.

Echoing this with use your 4* tickets to only pull on banner 4* units that you need until you got a small stockpile. 4* tickets have a much higher on banner rate than 3* tickets, it's something like 50% vs 25% respectively. When a King Mog rolls around and you need some bonus units throw some 4* tickets for a better chance of getting an on banner bonus unit, and since they're the 4* bonus unit they'll give a bigger King Mog currency bonus (75% vs 50% of a 3*). Or a 4* with a good Trust Mastery.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

For Mog King events I'm usually willing to throw 3x 4* tickets and 10x regular tickets because that's the amount you can buy from the mog king store, and I'm ok with it being zero'ed out.

I usually don't pull THAT much but that's what I'm willing to spend, lol.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Decided to take a shot at the step up and see if I could fill in some gaps in my collection of global units. Managed my 4th Beryl and two Grim Lord Sakuras. I also got a Cupid Luna, who was new to me.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I'm usually lapis-poor from blowing it on step-ups but I have like 300 tickets saved up now

Gumi let me use multiple tickets at once please

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Let me spend all of my raid coins at once while we're at it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

and automatically smash all the poo poo I get from spending them

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I kinda legitimately don't get the point of gil turtles. Like just give me gil without this middle man step of navigating menus to sell it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Memelord’s awakening overview is out, nothing unexpected.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/a5wh92/7_batch_5_overview_by_memel0rd/

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I, as usual, am having really middling luck on the Steel Castle. Been trying to get something good on my Serapia's Staff. I currently have +15% MP, +18% SPR on it, which I might just have to take and switch back to getting something decent on my Tinkerbow or Lightning Saber.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Echophonic posted:

I, as usual, am having really middling luck on the Steel Castle. Been trying to get something good on my Serapia's Staff. I currently have +15% MP, +18% SPR on it, which I might just have to take and switch back to getting something decent on my Tinkerbow or Lightning Saber.

They only decent roll I’ve had so far was on the omnirod you get as a reward. +25%mag +25%mp.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/features/2018/6/8/17435980/final-fantasy-brave-exvius-gambling-addiction-gacha

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Didn't someone link that one guy's 'one year later' follow-up a while back? The $15000 debt story sounds familiar.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That's the same guy, yes. Now it's out there on more than juse Reddit.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

That's the same guy, yes. Now it's out there on more than juse Reddit.

The article is from June. Not sure why it's going around again now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Reddit was discussing it today like it’s new, I didn’t realize it’s from June.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I think he just recently posted a 1 Year Clean thread on Reddit, so that might be why…

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Annath posted:

I was gonna do that Training of the Soul that uses the story units to get the items, but since you can ONLY use Rain/Fina/Lasswell, I'm assuming they need to be completely maxxed out in order to clear it, right?

Nope. Rain and Lasswell with some TMRs or even good event gear will crush it.

When I ran through it after procrastinating for a long time, both Rain and Lasswell had fire (or ice) weapons and 9S's Pod TMR. I think Rain was 400+atk and Lasswell was 550+ so they one rounded everything easily and I think Lasswell alone could've one-shot some of the bosses.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nier Raid summon ends tonight.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BDawg posted:

I think a good tank is always useful. After Akademia, I’ll probably put up a 100% draw/dodge Siggy.

just with how my luck has been my only STMRs are zarg and regular ramza so my m ramza is quite beefy, which is nice.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

The premium build is 100% passive provoke, 100% dodge, and 100% status immune. For the provoke you need the recent “K Producers Jacket” which we got this summer during the anniversary and a moogle plushie TMR shield from Iris.

Status immune best comes from CG Fina’s TMR hairpin of purity. Without that you can still get the build accomplished by using Discernment TMR, but then you need the extra 5% dodge on Tetra Sylpheed’s board.

The 100% dodge requires two ring of Luci’s from Noctis, a weapon with 5% dodge, true spirit of freedom from the FF14 raid, then three 10% dodge materias from any source.

Man, building a dodge tank is a pain in the rear end. None of the main phys tanks have any inherent evade (7* Beryl has 30% inherent), and you're required to spend basically all your materia and accessory slots to achieve it. If you have the sole 10% dodge weapon, 10% dodge shield, and 10% dodge armor, you can get away with merely 2 materia slots, but you need to slot in provoke then. And you still need two Noctis.

My only 7* tank is Merc. Ramza, and I'm not really sure how to build him. No inherent provoke, so best I can get is 50%. Inherent status immune, and I could cobble together 100% dodge with a 5% hat since I don't have a third 10% materia.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

5+1 ticket got me... Elephim. Even her tmr is garbage.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I was half awake this morning when the "daily before the daily" landed. I saw the 5+1 ticket, what was the other?

Is the 11 EX tickets tomorrow?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

hagie posted:

I was half awake this morning when the "daily before the daily" landed. I saw the 5+1 ticket, what was the other?

Is the 11 EX tickets tomorrow?

It was 1 EX ticket. 11 EX tickets all at once doesn't look like its a reward, at least on this banner

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Skyridge posted:

5+1 ticket got me... Elephim. Even her tmr is garbage.

I got a third coertul rider girl. Needed that moogle.
A.Fry almost up to 100%.

Weird logging in on Friday night and not having any new content.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

5+1 got me my second Yuna, right in time for her 7 star debut. I'll take it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

It was 1 EX ticket. 11 EX tickets all at once doesn't look like its a reward, at least on this banner

Ok that clears my confusion since you can’t check those

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Got my first 5+1 rainbow, BS Sakura #1. Now I have at least one of all the CG main cast, plus A Rain. Makes me happy.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Hey hey, rainbow on 5+1.

...Dark Knight Cecil #2?

Guess I'll have another 7 star for the expedition fodder.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Gutter trash on my 5+1.

Guess my luck is in 4* tickets.

Got Odin to 6% before the poo poo show started. Now to utilize a Hyoh friend with man-killer and I think I have it. It’s taken weeks of planning, theory crafting, and UoC dumps...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ticket gave me a second citra after the 10+1 gave me one too.

I'm flooded with summoners

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 14, 2018

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011
The 5+1 gave me Tidus #2, making up for the past month of junk pulls and just in time to send Brotherhood through the item world. Also, I haven't done 3* Leviathan yet and Tidus + Kurasame seems like the perfect pairing for that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

New thread time!