Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey guys - we're using a piece of classical music in a demo reel for our company. It's Part 1: Orchestral Prelude from Gurre-Lieder by Arnold Schoenberg.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to really suss out how to license it or if I even need to.

Looking here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Gurre-Lieder_(Schoenberg,_Arnold)

They indicate it might be PD in the US since it was published before 1923. However if you go by the standard death + 70 rule. It won't be for another few years.

Does death +70 not count if it was a work published before 1923?

Also on that page are a performance of it with the Creative Commons license. Does that mean I can use that performance of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Surely the copyright would be based on the recorded performance of the work you're using, rather than the original date of the composition?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A human heart posted:

Surely the copyright would be based on the recorded performance of the work you're using, rather than the original date of the composition?

Possibly which is what led me to the second part of the question ... Is that link of the performance in the creative commons? Mainly just want to make sure I'm reading that site right.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

CC Zero means do whatever the gently caress you want. That recording is pre-1964 and probably wasn't renewed in the allotted 28 years -> it's (edit- EFFECTIVELY) public domain.

muckswirler fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 28, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

muckswirler posted:

CC Zero means do whatever the gently caress you want. That recording is pre-1964 and probably wasn't renewed in the allotted 28 years -> it's (edit- EFFECTIVELY) public domain.

Thanks!!

• Locked thread