Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A shame her racket didn't fly off into badmom's face at the end. Would've made it perfect.

Is my memory wrong or did that match fill up three episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This show's OP is incredibly good and I watched the whole thing every time. I think it's the only show this season with that distinction.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Aragaki...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I do wish the anime had kept the manga's craziness. Turns out Chinese badminton daughter wasn't a daughter at all, but actually the number one ranked women's badminton player in the world, who happens to be able to pass for a teenager. Somehow nobody recognizes her until the match is over.

Badmom set up the match while dangling the promise of Ayano being able to see badmom again if she wins in order to drive her to the edge and draw out her true power. As bad as anime mom is manga mom is hilariously even worse.

Also, Ayano's dad exists.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 1, 2018

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Sindai posted:

ah, truly the anime is the superior version.

I really liked what they did with the white out and sound out in the last episode. It was a nice touch.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Paracelsus posted:

When they had the rough-drawn bits and text-screens early on I was hoping they'd go full Gainax Ending.

Lol i came in here to post exactly this. I was expecting irl people showing up like in the middle of End of Eva.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I really liked what they did with the white out and sound out in the last episode. It was a nice touch.

Same, that was probably my favorite part of the whole season.

Of course, they just to immediately follow that up with "I'm glad you abandoned me, mom", because that's the kind of show this is. I think the writers meant well overall, but between badmom, badsister, badfriend, badcoach, and other badcoach, this show pissed me off more than any other show this season.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
She wasn't forgiven, her attempt at having a relationship with her daughter was rejected. Ayano realising she loves badminton for herself instead of just as a means of working out her anger/punishing others is part of Ayano moving on

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Knorth posted:

She wasn't forgiven, her attempt at having a relationship with her daughter was rejected. Ayano realising she loves badminton for herself instead of just as a means of working out her anger/punishing others is part of Ayano moving on

This, she didnt let her toxic bullshit drag her down. She said gently caress off, but you might still be fun to play with. For the sport.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Sindai posted:

I do wish the anime had kept the manga's craziness. Turns out Chinese badminton daughter wasn't a daughter at all, but actually the number one ranked women's badminton player in the world, who happens to be able to pass for a teenager. Somehow nobody recognizes her until the match is over.

Badmom set up the match while dangling the promise of Ayano being able to see badmom again if she wins in order to drive her to the edge and draw out her true power. As bad as anime mom is manga mom is hilariously even worse.

Not sure where you got that from, but in the manga - It was the foreign coach who dangled the promise to Ayano as bait. Badmom was actually surprised by the arrangement.

Badmom is not quite as bad as in the anime (still bad though), and I feel like the anime adaption (while not bad in its own right) missed out on the hilarity of Ayano's developing friendship with some of her rivals.

Spoiler for official 4koma.

[

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They sure know their Chinese huh

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This, she didnt let her toxic bullshit drag her down. She said gently caress off, but you might still be fun to play with. For the sport.

I'd still argue that badmom got exactly what she wanted out of this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well, badmom at least seems to be trying somewhat with her second kid, and the ending leaves some hope that Ayano will try to make up with Connie.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

ah, truly the anime is the superior version.

They added one sound effect into that entire sequence: a devastating crunch when zooming in on Nagisa's knee on a particularly hard landing :barf:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm nearly done with the series but there's a giant hole in the center of the plot which is how did this Japanese woman just go to a foreign country, find a girl who was good a badminton, and then just adopt her? Didn't the kid have parents? Or did she travel around from school to school asking "hey do you have any orphaned badminton prodigies I can adopt?"

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ccs posted:

I'm nearly done with the series but there's a giant hole in the center of the plot which is how did this Japanese woman just go to a foreign country, find a girl who was good a badminton, and then just adopt her? Didn't the kid have parents? Or did she travel around from school to school asking "hey do you have any orphaned badminton prodigies I can adopt?"

anime

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ccs posted:

I think she was hired to coach them. The adoption came after.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How much reach does the Danish authorities have in Japan anyway?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Deeply glad the anime did not follow the manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Deeply glad the anime did not follow the manga

The creepy badminton federation guy is another reason to be glad it didn't follow the manga.

• Locked thread