Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Alright I sent mine off to Duckworth and Quigley. Quigley didn't even have the "Veterans" option in the dropdown for his issues so I'm not real hopeful but I will report back if either of them sends me more than an "eat poo poo" form letter.

This isn't really a veterans issue, but lol anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Enough spouses wear their servicemembers' rank that it probably qualifies.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hey Mike Coffman wrote me back!

quote:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. It is an honor to serve as your Representative in the United States Congress.

I greatly appreciate your thoughts and comments and know that I will keep them in mind as I continue to work on your behalf in Washington.

loving for real

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Grem posted:

Hey Mike Coffman wrote me back!

loving for real

Jesus, at least when my congressfucker brushed me off, he did it with a paper letter that was longer than that. It said roughly the same thing, but still.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Well Tammy got back to me. The relevant text:

quote:

However, under current law surviving spouses cannot receive both SBP and DIC. Consequently, the SBP annuity is reduced dollar for dollar by the DIC benefit resulting in a reduced monthly payment of SBP. This is known as the SBP/DIC offset and tens of thousands of military survivors are financially harmed by it.

The Military Widow’s Tax Elimination Act would remove the SBP/DIC offset to allow surviving spouses and beneficiaries to receive the full benefit from DOD and VA. That means surviving beneficiaries would no longer be penalized and prevented from receiving the SBP annuity and DIC payment owed to them for their spouse or parent’s service and sacrifice. Fortunately, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018 (NDAA), which I voted for, would eliminate the SBP/DIC offset.

As your Senator, I am committed to eliminating the SBP/DIC offset. We can never fully repay the debt owed to the brave men and women who laid down their lives in defense of our nation, and we must not forget the grieving families they leave behind who deserve our support. We must honor their sacrifices by never letting up in our work to support our Veterans, servicemembers and their families, and that includes repealing the SBP/DIC offset.

I don't really know what to do with that but at least she doesn't suck straight away?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Well Tammy got back to me. The relevant text:

I don't really know what to do with that but at least she doesn't suck straight away?

This email is full of poo poo. The 2018 NDAA didn't eliminate the offset, it made the SSIA permanent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There is a VERY high likelihood that you're more familiar with both the issue and the NDAA than anyone in these offices.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
gently caress it. McNally just run for office change from the inside

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

gently caress it. McNally just run for office change from the inside

Can't I just raise funds without having to run for office?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

Can't I just raise funds without having to run for office?

There’s always money in t-shirts.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

There’s always money in t-shirts.

My CafePress says otherwise.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I've been scanning letters and documents for Stars and Stripes and holy gently caress this poo poo's been flooding back.

Like how the Army investigation and CID reports both claim the MPs just hosed off, but the MP report has information they couldn't have gotten if that were true. Also there were MPs at the hospital when I arrived (which jives with the MP report).

I threw away the CID report in disgust, so I'm probably going to have to get another one.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Suggestion: pick a day and then we all call all the members of the relevant senate committee

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
THE SAGA CONTINUES?!

I got this email in the mail yesterday. Well, technically I was CC'd on this email.

quote:

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

KNO CAC,

Requesting SBP packet information for Firstname MI McNally.

The Spouse of SGT McNally's Wife, DCIPS case #(blah blah).

His last known address has her in your area:
(my current address, phone number, and email address)

Transferred from CAR CAC on or about 01 Mar. 2016.

To date, one SBP packet has been filed with this office dated 08 Jan 2016.
The Line of Duty investigation for this case is complete.

Please provide us with a new SBP packet or verification that the Spouse will
not be filing SBP.
Once received this case can be forwarded for review/submission to DFAS.

Note: According to DCIPS NOK remarks; Mr. McNally declined the appointment
of a new CAO so there is no CAO/SOS coordinator listed as Active.

Thank you for your attention.

Some Dude
Casualty and Mortuary Affairs Assistant

So I was a little concerned. I hit Reply All and wrote back.

quote:

What is the nature of this request for information? Is there something I should be aware of?

Thanks,

McNally

I received this response today:

quote:

Mr. McNally,

Sir, you need a new Survivor Benefit Plan packet (SBP).
Upon completion of the Line of Duty investigation, a review of your original packet indicates that you have moved.
Therefore a new SBP packet is required before the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will process your annuity.

An SBP packet consist of:
DD Form 2656-7 (Verification for Survivor Annuity)
W-4P (Tax Withholding Certificate)
Direct Deposit Form (Banking information Form)

Please contact the Fort Knox Casualty Assistance Center so that they can arrange an appointment for you to fill out the new paperwork:
Directorate of Human Resources
Casualty Assistance Center (IMKN-HRM-CAS)
(address, three phone numbers, email - the first of the three phone numbers went straight to a voicemail that was full)

Once your packet is completed it will be forwarded to the Casualty Support Section for review and submission DFAS.

Questions or concerns about SBP can be addressed by the Fort Knox Benefits Coordinator:
Ms. Someone Else
(phone number/email)

Some Dude

I, knowing the Army as I do, felt this does not bode well (and will probably require me actually going to Fort Knox for the appointment), and replied thus:

quote:

I'm already receiving my annuity. Am I going to stop getting my annuity because nobody told me I had to fill out a form when I moved three years ago?

So we'll see how this goes. That $310 a month is a fair chunk of my monthly income, so I hope it doesn't go away.

McNally fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 24, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I also got a reply from the Gary Sinise Foundation yesterday!

quote:

Dear Harry,

Thank you for reaching out to the Gary Sinise Foundation and sharing this information, we apologize for the delay in response due to the high volume of requests we receive each day. Your patience is much appreciated. Please accept our sincerest condolences for the loss of your wife, and know that our hearts and prayers are with you.

Gary has the highest respect for the folks in our U.S. Military, our first responders, and the people who support them. We thank God every day for those who are serving or have served and sacrificed for our country. The men and women, like yourself, who are willing to put themselves in harm’s way to protect and defend our freedom and look out for our safety are truly deserving.

We have carefully given your inquiry every consideration, and while we wish we had unlimited resources and the ability to assist every worthy person in need including yourself, we sadly aren’t able to fulfill your request at this time. We do encourage you to reach out to the following organizations that offer legal and other support, and sincerely hope you will find the assistance you need.

National Association of American Veterans-- http://www.naavets.org/

Assisting eligible veterans with obtaining due benefits, counseling referrals, single parenting, and emergency assistance referrals. Empowering service members and disabled veterans by giving them access to information on education, employment, housing, nutritional and spiritual wellness, medical care information, respite care, veteran mobility van assistance, and job training and career coaching. Serving as an advocate for veteran’s rights. Supporting the timely processing of VA disability claims for all veterans through partnerships with other veterans’ groups.

National Veterans Legal Services Program-- http://www.nvlsp.org/

The NVLSP is a nonprofit organization that has worked since 1980 to ensure that the government delivers to our nation's 25 million veterans and active duty personnel the benefits to which they are entitled because of disabilities resulting from their military service to our country. NVLSP’s Lawyers Serving Warriors® program provides free legal representation to veterans and active duty personnel through a national network of major law firms and corporate legal departments. NVLSP is a member of The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program. The Consortium recruits and trains volunteer lawyers to provide free legal assistance to unrepresented veterans and family members who have appealed a VA denial of benefits to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.

American Bar Association-- https://www.americanbar.org/groups/committees/veterans_benefits/pro_bono_resources_for_veterans.html

Pro Bono resources for lawyers & veterans to assist with medical care challenges, disability benefits, reemployment rights, consumer, housing, criminal & family law matters, & obtaining legal counsel. Choose a state to see the resources available.

Stateside Legal-- http://statesidelegal.org/

Legal help for military members, veterans and their families with a goal to help access benefits, find free legal help, and better understand legal issues. You can browse topics and find local help on the website. Also find forms for activated service members to assert legal protection under federal law.

The National Resource Directory-- http://www.nrd.gov/

The National Resource Directory (NRD) is a resource website that connects wounded warriors, Service Members, Veterans, their families, and caregivers to programs and services that support them. It provides access to services and resources at the national, state and local levels to support recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration. Visitors can find information on a variety of topics that supply an abundance of vetted resources.

Operation We Are Here-- http://www.operationwearehere.com/index.html

To provide a comprehensive list of resources for the military community and its supporters.

Again, thank you for reaching out. We wish you the very best.

Respectfully,

Gary Sinise Foundation

Wow. I wasn't asking for legal help, I was asking for a louder voice. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Today's my birthday, I get to wonder if I'm losing a benefit because casualty assistance forgot to have me fill out a form two and a half years ago. :toot:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It resumes.

quote:

Mr. McNally,

Before you moved, you filed an Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) application (see attached).
The application could not be processed at the time because the Line of Duty (LOD) investigation was not complete.
The LOD was completed on 07 Aug 2018.
Normally this would mean that I could process your application.
However, since you are no longer at your old address, I need a new updated application.
I don't know what other annuities or benefits you are authorized, my focus is SBP only.

Again I urge you to contact the Fort Knox Casualty Assistance Center or Ms. Some Lady to arrange an appointment to complete your application.
Once completed it will be processed and submitted to DFAS.

Directorate of Human Resources
Casualty Assistance Center (IMKN-HRM-CAS)
Building 1378
70 Pershing Drive
Fort Knox, KY 40121-4215
Phone: (full voicemail box)/(left voicemail on Friday)/(left voicemail today)
Email:

Ms. Some Lady
Phone:
Email:

If you feel I'm not explaining this action well enough, please contact:

Mr. Another Dude
GS-12
Senior Benefits and Entitlements Officer
Casualty Support Section
United States Army Human Resources Command

Some Dude

To recap, he gave me three phone numbers to call. The first one (which is also the phone number of the person he told me to specifically contact) goes to a voicemail box that is full and cannot accept any new voicemails. The second number I called on Friday. The third number is for the Casualty Assistance Center itself and I left a voicemail there, too.

All for paperwork that I'm 99% sure is superfluous anyway: I don't qualify for any SBP because I receive DIC.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
loving Army. I thought I was finally loving done with all their bullshit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Turns out nobody told the Fort Knox Casualty Assistance Center that I'd moved into their AOR.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Jesus dude, it's never ending! If it wasn't so hosed up it would be comical.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Green Weenie never sleeps and never rests. It will eternally hunt for buttholes to probe.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

ded posted:

Green Weenie never sleeps and never rests. It will eternally hunt for buttholes to probe.

At some point you'd think it would move on. When I had a colonoscopy last month, the doctor just had me sit on a table with a hole in it and shone a flashlight up there.

I'm just... so loving tired. Completely and utterly drained. At this point I'm pretty sure my benefits aren't going to change, but Jesus. I should become a hitman or something, because I could kill for a sense of financial security.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I swear I'm gonna learn vodou and resurrect whoever the U.S. Army version of Admiral Sir John Fisher (a man who regularly threw official busywork into his office fireplace when he was head of the Royal Navy) was to aid you in cutting through red tape.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I receive a letter in the mail today from my congressman!

It was the exact same "thank you for writing, your views are important" form letter I received already.

So I hit him back with this:

quote:

I received a letter dated September 12th, 2018, from your office today and wish to once again express my complete and utter disgust at the lack of basic human empathy I am continually subjected to by the staff of Congressman Mooney. Despite repeated attempts at contact, I have received two identical form letters that say absolutely nothing.

You are aware that a military survivor is the surviving spouse of a deceased service member, yes? I am the widower of an Army sergeant who died on active duty trying to get my congressional representation to work on legislation to fix military survivor benefits and all I have received in response from Congressman Mooney's office are two identical form letters that thank me for my views.

I am a combat veteran. My wife served in Afghanistan. Of the two of us, one of us is in near constant pain as a result of military service and the other one is dead. As thanks for these sacrifices, all I get from this office is silence and the occasional "thank you for your views" form letter.

This is completely unacceptable and I will not stop reminding you of your obligations to your constituency until you are finally ignominiously voted out of office.

A version of this also went to his Facebook page because why not.

quote:

Glad to see you're getting out there to talk with the business interests of your district.

Meanwhile I just received a form letter from your office thanking me for my views.

Does your staff not know what a military survivor is? Let me break it down into simple words: Me married to soldier. Soldier dead now.

The fact that I cannot get a response from your office that is at all related to the reason why I contacted you is, frankly, staggering. For all your posturing about supporting the troops and veterans, this level of response shows that your words are hollow.

I served in Iraq. My wife served in Afghanistan. Of the two of us, one is in nearly constant physical pain as a result of military service. The other is dead. To thank us for our service, your office sends me letters that say nothing more than "thank you for contacting us, your input is important."

I have repeatedly written and called to your office and mention specific topics, even specific bills, and I have yet to receive anything resembling a response to anything I've contacted you about.

You have a duty, sir, to your constituency that you are not fulfilling and I will not stop reminding you of this until you are ignominiously voted out of office.

It's possible I let a little more of my anger slip into the Facebook post.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Good. Do it in person next time he has a town hall event or other Q&A.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Good. Do it in person next time he has a town hall event or other Q&A.

Hahahahahahah

He doesn't do those things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

Hahahahahahah

He doesn't do those things.

Call the news.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McNally posted:

I receive a letter in the mail today from my congressman!

It was the exact same "thank you for writing, your views are important" form letter I received already.

So I hit him back with this:

A version of this also went to his Facebook page because why not.

It's possible I let a little more of my anger slip into the Facebook post.

Have you done any big ol' shareable Facebook posts by any chance?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

They never got back to me.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Have you done any big ol' shareable Facebook posts by any chance?

Unfortunately not. Individuals can't make posts on his Facebook, they can only comment on his posts and you can't share comments.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Well yeah, but I mean a shareable post with a summary of all the deets on your profile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well yeah, but I mean a shareable post with a summary of all the deets on your profile?

Aww, but that's effort.

• Locked thread