Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

LEGO Star Wars is one of my best friends. It's pure insanity, and it doesn't have time to explain itself to you, so neither do I. I love this game so much, and we're going to 100% it. Yes, we. You're coming along. This game makes me feel good and I deserve this. Don't take this from me.

Videos

1. V-Sync Lobotomy

2. Psychologists Agree

3. Shutter Destruction

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Are all the Lego games this way? I remember playing some licensed game for DC years ago on either the Gamecube or Wii for perhaps an hour. While it didn't have the same slapstick that results from an intentional mismatch on tone, I dunno if that was from the game or from my limited play time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

Are all the Lego games this way? I remember playing some licensed game for DC years ago on either the Gamecube or Wii for perhaps an hour. While it didn't have the same slapstick that results from an intentional mismatch on tone, I dunno if that was from the game or from my limited play time.

the lego games have changed a lot over the years, and the further back you go, the less sane they get

this is a collection of the earliest games in the LEGO series, so it's a lot crazier than the rest

the newer lego games don't even let you murder innocent people! but nowadays they rely more on mechanical variety and cinematic value than just nonsense wackiness

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I picked up Lego Star Wars 1 on the XBOX, which covered the prequels, but I never got a hold of 2, which covered the original trilogy. So I'm vaguely interested.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Bloodly posted:

I picked up Lego Star Wars 1 on the XBOX, which covered the prequels, but I never got a hold of 2, which covered the original trilogy. So I'm vaguely interested.

vaguely interested is more than none!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I actually played the DS version, I just totally forgot about it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I actually played the DS version, I just totally forgot about it.

we can still be friends

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Lego Star Wars is good poo poo. I've played some of the later Lego games (LOTR and Batman mostly) but they never really captured the fun of the Star Wars games for me. Maybe it's because I'm a big dumb Star Wars geek, or maybe it's the unbridled chaos like you said, I don't really know. But I'm glad you posted this thread because now I'm gonna go play some Lego Star Wars.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Walrus Pete posted:

Lego Star Wars is good poo poo. I've played some of the later Lego games (LOTR and Batman mostly) but they never really captured the fun of the Star Wars games for me. Maybe it's because I'm a big dumb Star Wars geek, or maybe it's the unbridled chaos like you said, I don't really know. But I'm glad you posted this thread because now I'm gonna go play some Lego Star Wars.

personally i think it's the chaos

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Hell yeah! I was actually playing this just about a month ago. It still holds up so well, though I do think you're absolutely insane for wanting to 100% it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For a long time I made a practice of 100%ing the lego games. I think I stopped at the...third avengers game, or so.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This is available on the Xbox Game Pass so you can follow along at home. I'm in the middle of trying to 100% LEGO City Undercover (another great LEGO game) and will probably get onto it after, though playing the older ones always makes you miss the minor fixes from over the years.

LEGO Indiana Jones 2 is another good game that captures the spirit of this one.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'm fairly well versed in the lego series of games. Its super weird to look back at where it began and all of its problems and quirks. If anyone wants a really concise look at how the Lego series has changed and evolved, I'd play all the lego batman games.

Also: I hope the copyright bots don't take offence to the text scrawls, because every chapter has one I think.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 16, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

Hell yeah! I was actually playing this just about a month ago. It still holds up so well, though I do think you're absolutely insane for wanting to 100% it.

it's not too tough to 100%, it's mostly a matter of patience

Discendo Vox posted:

For a long time I made a practice of 100%ing the lego games. I think I stopped at the...third avengers game, or so.

Marvel Superheroes 2?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This is available on the Xbox Game Pass so you can follow along at home. I'm in the middle of trying to 100% LEGO City Undercover (another great LEGO game) and will probably get onto it after, though playing the older ones always makes you miss the minor fixes from over the years.

LEGO Indiana Jones 2 is another good game that captures the spirit of this one.

i somehow haven't played the lego indiana jones games, but i'll definitely keep that one in mind

i've played pretty much all of them except for that particular series, oddly

Tombot posted:

I'm fairly well versed in the lego series of games. Its super weird to look back at where it began and all of its problems and quirks. If anyone wants a really concise look at how the Lego series has changed and evolved, I'd play all the lego batman games.

Also: I hope the copyright bots don't take offence to the text scrawls, because every chapter has one I think.

i'd love to see you LP the lego batman games, yes, the forum really needs more lego

i muted the text scrawls but i'll probably put other music over them in the next chapters

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Marvel Superheroes 2?

I was wrong, it was MARVEL's Avengers, so yes, Superheroes 2, I think. Now I'm like 5 games behind. They started getting pretty generic after a while, and the work involved stopped being fun...like, uh, editing text files to bypass crash bugs in one of the LEGO harry potters.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It always kind of disappointed me that after Lego Star Wars all of the Lego games were pretty much the same thing. I loved some of the more varied games from yesteryear.

Which is not to say the new style of game isn't a lot of fun, just... all very similar.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i think they're still pretty good, after having 100%'d lego incredibles recently

most LEGO games try to have a unique identity, but some of the newer ones seem to struggle with that, i think because of the time constraints involved

i definitely prefer the older games

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Very few of the recent games that leaned in on the hub format have handled it well. I think the second Indiana Jones one, and the Lego Movie one, and the lost world one, really sapped my patience. All three had more "grind" than I was used to. The LotR games, by contrast, mostly handled it well. The mythril and sidequest stuff was pretty fun and varied.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Very few of the recent games that leaned in on the hub format have handled it well. I think the second Indiana Jones one, and the Lego Movie one, and the lost world one, really sapped my patience. All three had more "grind" than I was used to. The LotR games, by contrast, mostly handled it well. The mythril and sidequest stuff was pretty fun and varied.

i really like bumming around in the open worlds so it didn't bother me that much, but i understand why it would really grate on some people

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I had a lot of fun with the first game so I am looking forward to watching you play through all six games.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

These games are awesome and I’m looking forward to it. They definitely had a feeling of enjoyment that some of the later ones were somehow missing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

MagusofStars posted:

These games are awesome and I’m looking forward to it. They definitely had a feeling of enjoyment that some of the later ones were somehow missing.

i think the lack of mindless murder has something to do with it

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I think the LEGO games based on movies now suffer from "we only use audio from the movies" so you get character voices that sound off all the time. The ones that have original storylines are usually better in that regard. LEGO Marvel Superheroes is a lot more fun than LEGO Marvel Avengers in my opinion. I couldn't stand hearing the same canned movie lines over and over again. *kills someone with Thor* "WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?!" *immediately kills someone else as Thor* "WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?!" It's annoying.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

i really like bumming around in the open worlds so it didn't bother me that much, but i understand why it would really grate on some people

The open worlds are fine until you're trying to find that last thing to destroy to get the last brick you need to 100% the game. :argh: That and those stupid LEGO City levels where you have to destroy every item to get exactly 1,000,000 studs. :shepicide:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I think the LEGO games based on movies now suffer from "we only use audio from the movies" so you get character voices that sound off all the time. The ones that have original storylines are usually better in that regard. LEGO Marvel Superheroes is a lot more fun than LEGO Marvel Avengers in my opinion. I couldn't stand hearing the same canned movie lines over and over again. *kills someone with Thor* "WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?!" *immediately kills someone else as Thor* "WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?!" It's annoying.

LEGO The Incredibles actually has original in-house voice acting for all the cutscenes and gags, even though they retell the movie. It's so much better.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

2. Psychologists Agree

juSt chill the gently caress out

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lego Harry Potter did a pretty good job using magic in the same way that these games used the Force. Most every character could use it too, so it was like having all jedis all the time. Though usually those two entries are usually referred to as the worst of the Lego games. No idea why. :shrug:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

Lego Harry Potter did a pretty good job using magic in the same way that these games used the Force. Most every character could use it too, so it was like having all jedis all the time. Though usually those two entries are usually referred to as the worst of the Lego games. No idea why. :shrug:

Wasn't it the glitches the most people were bothered by? I can't remember.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Nice use of Professor Screweyes' cut monologue, here is the scene it came from in case you want to hear his rant in full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzHlm9Wr3A

Ever since Issac the Media Hunter brought this scene up in his review, I wished that it wasn't cut from the movie.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 24, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Nice use of Professor Screweyes' cut monologue, here is the scene it came from in case you want to hear his rant in full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzHlm9Wr3A

Ever since Issac the Media Hunter brought this scene up in his review, I wished that it wasn't cut from the movie.

I do think the quality of the otherwise incredibly strange and underwhelming film would've been improved if they left in that scene.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That was Issac's assessment as well along with having Neweyes reverse the Brain Drain drug and making the film longer to fix the overall pacing issues.

If anyone is curious, here is his review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs333VZdwCU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

3. Shutter Destruction

Can't see poo poo, captain.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Lego star wars 3 has kinda sorta a Dynasty warriors thing to it, thought its also part RTS. That game was weird.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

Lego star wars 3 has kinda sorta a Dynasty warriors thing to it, thought its also part RTS. That game was weird.

sweet, i'm sure i own that somewhere

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Tombot posted:

I'd say it was trying to be LEGO Star Wars Battlefront than Dynasty Warriors. Those RTS-like sections are why I quit playing it though; couldn't stand the awful gameplay elements.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I stopped playing because the game glitched out and I couldn't buy all of the red bricks so I couldn't get 100%. Which is what I typically do in those games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

at least it sounds weird

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I would say the LotR and the weirdly RTS-y Lego star wars 3 probably have the most interesting twists on the lego archetype.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

You mentioned that defensive options are limited as a blaster character. Did you know that if you try to "parry" shots with them like a jedi, they'll actually dodge the blaster bolt and take no damage? I find it's a lot easier to do when there's a bunch of guys firing at you.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

You mentioned that defensive options are limited as a blaster character. Did you know that if you try to "parry" shots with them like a jedi, they'll actually dodge the blaster bolt and take no damage? I find it's a lot easier to do when there's a bunch of guys firing at you.

I did. I think that was first introduced in LEGO Star Wars II. I could be wrong. I'm sure the mechanic will come up in the second half of the game where there's more shooting.

Discendo Vox posted:

I would say the LotR and the weirdly RTS-y Lego star wars 3 probably have the most interesting twists on the lego archetype.

LEGO generally does a good job portraying the license it's given through new mechanics, which is commendable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Due to some personal issues, this LP will be put on hiatus. I apologize for anyone incredibly invested, but it will be back soon. I just need a bit of a break from LEGO.

• Locked thread