Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I really had no idea where the hell to place this question I have. I finally decided here, because it's music related and some of you are DJs so I figured you guys probably have the most experience with this equipment. And, gently caress it, let's make it a catch all thread. If anyone else out there has lighting and effects and pyro questions or information they'd like to inform us poo poo people who can't figure out Google about, feel free to post here!

I recently got a promotion at one of my jobs, yay! I've been promoted to audio/visual tech, mainly because I know how to work a mixing board and that was literally the qualification I needed. :v:

Okay, I should probably back up and explain. I work for a small independent professional wrestling promotion. It's not a "backyard carny outlaw mudshow" deal, it's a family owned business that honestly puts in more effort into providing a quality experience than most indies out there; if you never experienced it, imagine going into a warehouse in the middle of loving nowhere Georgia with no air conditioning, hot as balls in July, with about twenty other people where the ring is an old boxing ring with rubber mat placed on top and the entrance for the wrestlers is a black plastic tarp with christmas lights hanging off it and the initials of the promotion in shiny bubble letters (like the kind your elementary school used to announce the lunch menu) stapled on a piece of plywood next to two strobe lights that don't work with frayed wires coming out the back and the sound is an old boombox with an aux cord plugged into it running the music off an iPod. I didn't make any of that up. That's a real place I've actually been to. The place I work for? They've poured money into this. Nice air conditioned building, real wrestling ring, a proper audio setup with a twelve channel XLR mixer, televisions displaying the in ring action around the building, plumbing (you'd be surprised), and a full concession stand that actually has hot food without the use of a microwave. And, of course, their lighting system, which actually uses DMX lighting and a Chauvet DJ Obey 3 controlling all of it. Holy poo poo! It's semi professional. Decent.

Currently we control the LED lights manually, using the Obey 3 like a DJ would use a mixer while transform scratching. It occured to me that, being that I've watched DJs set up, that DMX lighting can be controlled through various different means and the Obey 3 is just the tip of the iceberg on what is possible, but before I go spending a bunch of money I'd like to know more information. Essentially what I'd like to be able to have our lighting USB controlled so I can program the wrestler's entrance lighting to the songs they come out to, and eventually move on to also including videos on the TV screens and other fun poo poo.

So essentially I want this:
(warning: the audio on this sucks because it was recorded on someone's cell phone and it sounds like poo poo and it's clipping like a mother fucker so turn down your headphones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnfjDocAWI

To become this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Nl3k_SrBA

Now, obviously, we're a small venue, much smaller than where that ROH show took place, and maybe if we become more successful than we currently are (I mean we're good but we're not that good so I doubt it) we can get to that level, but for right now all I got are a few dozen RGB LED light fixtures and a laptop. What I'd like to know is basically what I need to control those lights with the PC and some good software to do it with that can sync the lights, and in the future video, with the music being played through our PA. That'd be much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I've used a USB device called DMXis to control and sync lights via Ableton Live. It loads as a VST plugin. You can run video thru Ableton as well.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Slight tangent (sorry OP), but does anyone know if there is a way to modify the preset patterns on the Obey 3?

I use one for small shows and open mics and do it all manually, but when I play up there myself I have to either leave the lights static or choose a preset pattern. Which would be fine, but every pattern does a fade to black between colours instead of transitioning smoothly as if you were using preset colours.

Alternatively, is there some kind of rasberry pi style device I can plug in with custom made sequences?

• Locked thread