Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

The other item was supposedly an expensive ring. I don't know why I edited that out. I know it exists from the Jamesman LP. He didn't seem to show where he found it.
Well, I'll definitely try to get it, but I'm not gonna worry too much about it. I doubt I'll need any more money aside from buying healing items from this point on anyway.

Flac posted:

Jigsaw is the hardest kiss if you don't know what to do, he gave me so much trouble. The 10-15 minutes it takes every time to do the tour to get to him makes it so much worse too.

The outhouse poop is definitely random. You'd have to get the lazy guard message at the last section and then hide by the outhouse, and even then it's not guaranteed that you'll get the result SC is talking about.

The manure pile though? THE worst RNG in the game by a mile, and that is saying something. I'm not sure if the fortune teller is helpful for getting the ring in there, he could be bullshitting for all I know. There is one other way to get an expensive ring without relying on chance, but it is just as tedious, if not more so. You need to be at the max level for it too, so you'd have to get it around the endgame when it doesn't matter anymore. The devs really don't want you to get that ring.
Almost frustratingly, I actually got the right piece the first time going through, but I just didn't get it to him before he went back underground. If the wiki is right and the chances are 1%, this is one of the few times RNG has smiled upon me this entire playthrough.

So it's a special poop? If it's just something to sell, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Yeah, for the manure pile I just threw my hands up and used a savestate, even then I'd try for ten or fifteen minutes and stop trying before going back there to try again. All that just for a film...

Part 17 - 50 Kisses

At long last, all 50 Kisses obtained. Almost amusingly the last couple of kisses I got were among the easiest. Even getting the right frog and cicada weren't too bad. In the case of the frog, literally the very first one I found and showed to Leo turned out to be the right one, and I only had to get two or three cicadas before I got the right one. Jigsaw also turned out to be very easy, since it turned out I managed to snag the right puzzle piece on my first time encountering him. At this point I'll at least try to get the expensive ring, though if I just can't obtain it before the next episode I'll just shrug it off. I'll maybe try to get the special poop too. Either way, next episode is the finale and it feels like it took way too drat long to reach this point, my fault entirely of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The album updates with each kiss. You never got to kiss a dog or death. Death hits you for 4 damage and adds another 4 with each hit.
You can kiss people again if you want.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Almost caught up. Just want to say that the factory bit would've got on my nerves if I was the one playing it. What the gently caress is Henoko (the radio announcer with the megaphone/tour guide) doing when Melvin hide? Does she just look around, see that he's not there, and just went "gently caress it" and go about her day? Not that I'm blaming her if she did.

I went around looking for the original thread about Slenderman since you mentioned it in your video, but it seems that most of them are from Waffleimages (which is dead), so I guess those pictures are lost to history.

Edit: Are you going to show what happens if you fire everyone in the factory?

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 29, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

The album updates with each kiss. You never got to kiss a dog or death. Death hits you for 4 damage and adds another 4 with each hit.
You can kiss people again if you want.
Well yeah, I reached the max level. Seems like the guy with the spinning head and the fortune teller guy got left out too. Didn't know that about Death though. I just kind of assumed he'd kill in one hit since he's...well, Death.

1234567890num posted:

Almost caught up. Just want to say that the factory bit would've got on my nerves if I was the one playing it. What the gently caress is Henoko (the radio announcer with the megaphone/tour guide) doing when Melvin hide? Does she just look around, see that he's not there, and just went "gently caress it" and go about her day? Not that I'm blaming her if she did.

I went around looking for the original thread about Slenderman since you mentioned it in your video, but it seems that most of them are from Waffleimages (which is dead), so I guess those pictures are lost to history.

Edit: Are you going to show what happens if you fire everyone in the factory?
Henoko is probably not paid enough to care just like everyone else at that factory. So I agree, who can blame her?

The originals sure, but they've been posted and hosted on a whole bunch of other sites for years.

Well, when I went back to the factory, I saw that everyone I fired just got replaced. I assume if I fired everyone they too would just be replaced.

Part 18 - Lover's Tree

Well, I've finally made it. Finally got my kiss from Sefiroth and cleared the game. I really was not expecting to go down into what's probably Hell and have to do...all that. Well, thankfully Scalding Coffee told me about the quiz, but I didn't see those other two bits coming with Goro and Julie. I was thinking maybe Sefiroth would give the quiz, like she was testing me on how much I knew about the people I kissed or something, or maybe the Lover's Tree would do it. Certainly not Sefiroth's cat except a giant. I had assumed, before knowing about the quiz, that the weird and seemingly random trivia given off by people I showed cards to were just a way to throw the play off, or have them sift through and determine what would be important in order to get a kiss. As for the game overall, I can kind of see why it mostly remained obscure, and I can imagine not everyone would be willing to go through the whole thing without a guide. I mean poo poo, I never would've gotten through it on my own, not a drat chance. Still, it was nice and quirky fun that doesn't seem like it should be taken too seriously, and if it had a bit less RNG and maybe snipped a few things like the Alien's star puzzle or how Mika doesn't seem to be hinted at anywhere that I could find, I would've had a lot more fun. As it stands, it's definitely a game that I enjoyed in general, but I don't see myself playing it ever again. It's just too much of a hassle, even with the knowledge of what to do.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Quiz cat would swat you for 20 hearts and you can't heal.
There is a random chance of a panda showing up in the woods in Worldly Desire Temple and it gives you a heal. It is repeatable.
The playground has a random chance of Popeye showing up and giving you a massage. He heals you for a bit and I think he is an early morning encounter.
Lady travel sign talked about her son in the next city over. She didn't name it. I think he is in Local High School.
I think the original name of the Long Life Town was Crane Turtle Town, hence that fountain showing those animals, and that they are residents.

I like how there is an activist group who hates how the chicken was grilled. Some random graffiti on a wall and it actually has plot reasons. There are lots of clues in the game, but it still feels like the La-Mulana of slice of life games.
You also never kissed your dad in this game. I don't get their design philosophy.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Catching up on the videos, and I'm finally getting to the films. There's a pun in the first one you watched that I didn't get before. The title is "階段おいわ" (kaidan oiwa), where the first part, "kaidan", means ghost story, and the "oiwa" seems to be a reference to the most famous Japanese ghost story. When the guy gets to the top of the stairs, he says "怪談おおいわ" ("kaidan ooi wa"), which means "wow, that was a long staircase".

I'll try to watch the rest tonight and post any other puns I spot. There's one more I remember, but I want to make sure I get the details right, and I don't really have the time right now. I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget this one.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

Quiz cat would swat you for 20 hearts and you can't heal.
There is a random chance of a panda showing up in the woods in Worldly Desire Temple and it gives you a heal. It is repeatable.
The playground has a random chance of Popeye showing up and giving you a massage. He heals you for a bit and I think he is an early morning encounter.
Lady travel sign talked about her son in the next city over. She didn't name it. I think he is in Local High School.
I think the original name of the Long Life Town was Crane Turtle Town, hence that fountain showing those animals, and that they are residents.

I like how there is an activist group who hates how the chicken was grilled. Some random graffiti on a wall and it actually has plot reasons. There are lots of clues in the game, but it still feels like the La-Mulana of slice of life games.
You also never kissed your dad in this game. I don't get their design philosophy.
I thought it'd be something like that, yeah.
Never even thought of that, I just assumed I'd keep finding poop in the woods, or at best a potato or something so I didn't bother to check the bamboo.
What? Like, the actual Popeye?
Lady travel sign? You mean Tin Signboard?
Wasn't aware of that, but a nice detail.

I think I did see all the graffiti, didn't I? I don't recall seeing any I didn't read.
And clearly it's cheating to get a kiss from your dad.

Nidoking posted:

Catching up on the videos, and I'm finally getting to the films. There's a pun in the first one you watched that I didn't get before. The title is "階段おいわ" (kaidan oiwa), where the first part, "kaidan", means ghost story, and the "oiwa" seems to be a reference to the most famous Japanese ghost story. When the guy gets to the top of the stairs, he says "怪談おおいわ" ("kaidan ooi wa"), which means "wow, that was a long staircase".

I'll try to watch the rest tonight and post any other puns I spot. There's one more I remember, but I want to make sure I get the details right, and I don't really have the time right now. I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget this one.
Ah yeah, I guess I forgot to think about what kinds of puns could be made during the movies. Of course being completely unable to read Japanese I doubt I'd have gotten very far. Even without being able to work them out myself, the surreal nature of some of those films was...interesting to see, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There was a hint at some point that a picture of the principal looked similarly like your dad and I think it was either in Suzuki's room or from reading dialog that showed you a map of the town.
The gold poopie deals 18 damage and sells for about 1000 or so. The only kind that sells. There is a Japanese commercial item that does that, in pill form. :capitalism:

• Locked thread