Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Recently my wife and I saw Incredibles 2 with some family members and we did what we always did. We stayed for the entire credits. One of our family members turned to us and said, "Welp! Guess there's no stinger in this one."

My wife and I just shrugged, "We just like the credits."

But my wife is wrong at least for me, I don't like the credits. I love the credits, specifically end credits.

I have nostalgia for when IMDB was not a resource and credits were how I pieced together the lineage of films. The few times I've seen my name in credits it's been a thrill, and I get a similar high when I see my friends scroll on the screen.

But more importantly I think there is a necessity to credits that are completely under-appreciated.

Credits are a meditative experience. They're an opportunity for the viewer to decompress and consider the movie they just enjoyed. They're an analogue for the actors taking a bow in a stage show. In theater, taking a bow is as much about celebrating the actors as transitioning the audience into leaving. You're technically still with the play for a few moments although the fourth wall has been broken. It's easing you out of the experience, not giving a stark finish, but a slow transition. There is something that always feels amateurish in older films when they just end. You can tell in a lot of earlier film that they know there needs to be some flourish at the end to announce the film is over. Often that comes in the form of music sting or even the words, "THE END" that come off as cheesier than the film that just proceeded it. I get a little bummed at theaters that turn on the lights the second the scroll starts or TV airings that squish the credits. I dedicated some time to this movie, stop trying to rip us away!

I also love the familiar patterns of credits. You can tell the credits are almost over once the soundtrack credits start coming up. There's a sense of routine and uniformity to them that I oddly appreciate.

Anyway this is a thread to celebrate credits. Talk about the best credits, both opening and closing, but closing credits are objectively the best and more important. I'm personally fine with the trend to diminish the opening credits.

Here are some of the best credits. Some of these contain a bit of spoilers:

Children of Men
Ebert firmly warned against the concept of having additional scenes during the credits sequence because the film should be contained during the film. While I'm not a huge fan of stinger scenes, I think Ebert was wrong in his belief of the credits being detached from the film's narrative. Children of Men is a good example of this. The sound of children at play that fills the end credits doesn't just exist in stark contrast to the childless film that proceeded it, but gives hope that the boat seen in the film's end actually is the one our protagonists were trying to find and not just random boat. The choice to have the sound of kids playing fills the viewer with both hope that things worked out and a reminder of just how sad the world without children we just witnessed was.

Wall-E
Wall-E is another example of the narrative being continued through the end credits in a unique way, covering centuries worth of plot without ever dipping back into a traditional scene. Pixar credits have a good history, transitioning from bloopers to using the end credits to be a little more experimental with animation and style. The Wall-E end credits not just tell the story of the Earth being rebuilt, but I'd argue offering a coda on technology not being an evil in itself as long as humans don't use it to infantilize themselves.

Apocoylpse Now!
It is probably one of the most emotionally taxing credits sequences. Just pure destruction that like the music, peaks, and then fades in nothingness. It feels nihilistic in a way befitting what came before it.

Anyway, here is a thread to talk about credits and how great credits are because they're pretty great...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's worth noting that Coppola changed the credits of Apocalypse Now to a simple black screen when he heard that a lot of viewers assumed the explosions signify the Kurtz compound being bombed, which went against the point he was trying to make with the ending. Divorced from the narrative, they're undeniably great though.

I also have a soft spot for bloopers being played over the credits, which seemed to happen a lot in comedies during the early 2000s. The ones for Rush Hour 2 are funnier than the film itself.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I always remember having a TV recording of A Christmas Story where the credits went from top to bottom which I don't remember any other film doing.

Timeless Appeal posted:

But more importantly I think there is a necessity to credits that are completely under-appreciated.

Credits are a meditative experience. They're an opportunity for the viewer to decompress and consider the movie they just enjoyed.

I concur.

Timeless Appeal posted:

There is something that always feels amateurish in older films when they just end. You can tell in a lot of earlier film that they know there needs to be some flourish at the end to announce the film is over. Often that comes in the form of music sting or even the words, "THE END" that come off as cheesier than the film that just proceeded it. I get a little bummed at theaters that turn on the lights the second the scroll starts or TV airings that squish the credits. I dedicated some time to this movie, stop trying to rip us away!

Over time I've gotten used to seeing FIN. The ones that I find humorously jarring right now are the ends of Shaw Brothers films where a fight ends and the film ends really abruptly. Two-Lane Blacktop also has an abrupt ending.

I also remember those films that really shatter the fourth wall by showing cameras and crew etc.: The Holy Mountain, Medium Cool, Taste of Cherry

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I like seeing when they give a shout-out to all the babies born to people on the production. :3:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hate how Netflix and friends automatically squish the credits to a tiny corner with a giant NEXT UP portrait of some show I don’t want to watch and a panic-inducing 15-second timer. It’s awful, and I always instinctively press “back” to go back to the credits, but instead it leaves the show entirely. Let me just enjoy the dang credits.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMaGScXMXAg

I've always loved the end credits from Citizen Kane. Even though it's Orson Welles' big splash into cinema, he makes sure every single starring player gets their name on-screen and with a bit of their performance. Even neater that all the clips are outtakes rather than what's in the film proper (just like how the trailer was made from outtakes and b-roll). And when Welles' name comes up in the additional cast, he's dead last. But what's really great is how Gregg Toland shared the same card as Welles' credit for producing and directing. I don't think a cinematographer has ever had that sort of treatment.

For that matter, Welles did some neat stuff with credits on his films. The first cut of Othello had the credits spoken by Welles over music and shots of Venice at the beginning. They're spoken again on The Trial at the end. And F for Fake has that amazing first scene and montage before its opening credits.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pigbuster posted:

I hate how Netflix and friends automatically squish the credits to a tiny corner with a giant NEXT UP portrait of some show I don’t want to watch and a panic-inducing 15-second timer. It’s awful, and I always instinctively press “back” to go back to the credits, but instead it leaves the show entirely. Let me just enjoy the dang credits.

I've only just started using netflix and I really want a preference option that doesn't select "skip credits and on to next episode" by default. I like at the very least to read the actors' names.

I love the Naked Gun's credits, where you get like key grip credits, and then immediately after "what the hell is a grip?" followed by a short explanation.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zogo posted:

The ones that I find humorously jarring right now are the ends of Shaw Brothers films where a fight ends and the film ends really abruptly.

My favourite occurence of this is in Legendary Weapons of China, where at some point during the final fight, the heroes decide that they've had enough and walk away. The end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I also have a soft spot for bloopers being played over the credits, which seemed to happen a lot in comedies during the early 2000s. The ones for Rush Hour 2 are funnier than the film itself.

Tucker saying "He ain't gonna be in Rush Hour 3!" after the guy goes flying off the building is a more memorable joke than anything in the movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

They've been a little better with some of the new additions to Netflix. They actually show the credits and then in the bottom of the screen there is the option to keep watching or skip to the next thing. But there is still the panic inducing timer.

It's weird that they weren't able to make this interface blanket for all their shows. I'm watching Cheers right now that has the best sort of TV credits, the type that is encouraging you to go to bed, but it still gets the tiny box treatment.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I really have a soft spot for credits. The right music over a scroll can really put the final touch to an already great movie. A way to wind down.

What I really miss though is the absence of credits at the beginning of a film. The starting credits can get you pumped for what you are about to see, yet so many movies now just go straight into the action.

Strangely, one of the projects to want to work on for fun, is creating spoof credit sequences (start and end) for fictional movies in the styles of various time periods.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I've only just started using netflix and I really want a preference option that doesn't select "skip credits and on to next episode" by default. I like at the very least to read the actors' names.

I love the Naked Gun's credits, where you get like key grip credits, and then immediately after "what the hell is a grip?" followed by a short explanation.

there is the option to not start the next episode, if selected you see the credits then the window for the next episode pops up. I like having to starting the next episode manually, less binging makes for a better experience imo

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Jacke Chan credits are great because in text you get to see who worked on the film while on video you get to see who was broken for the film.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

It really is awful, you can hit a button to bring them back into focus but I wish there was something in the settings that just prevented it from happening by default.

This is especially bad with BoJack Horseman, where the super indie chic theme song provides dramatic irony after a last-second gut punch, or the rare times they actually change it for what happened in the episode.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Best opening credits of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNtxgxYY7sI

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: ^^^^ hell yeah

Agreed about the Netflix credits. Sometimes they’re exactly what you need.

Also going back to the OP the Incredibles 2 credits really are fuckin great

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can’t argue with Enter the Void for best opening, but best closing is almost certainly

https://youtu.be/cJ2x4gtyNPk

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Best closing credits of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHqerPJG-dI

edit: wow, that's weird we both posted credits with Bowie songs.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Night of the Living Dead's credits are great. I saw a screening a couple years back that began with people laughing since they didn't know what they were getting into. Everyone just sat in stunned silence as the credits rolled.

Tsietisin posted:

What I really miss though is the absence of credits at the beginning of a film. The starting credits can get you pumped for what you are about to see, yet so many movies now just go straight into the action.
I have a feeling that Batman Begins was a big trend setter in this. It's very purposeful in how it holds off on showing the title to the very end and has music that is meant to less wind you down and more get you excited for all the Batman adventures that are about to begin. But it's definitely something that action and superhero films have definitely imitated with less reason.

I'm just not as hot on opening credits because they aren't as necessary. Baby Driver is a recent example of a really good sequence though. It does a good job of revealing a lot about its lead.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I recently rewatched Persona and it has one hell of an opening. It gets you uneasy before a single credit appears, which are only flashed on the screen for a few frames each. Such a great way to establish mood even fits seemingly unconnected to the main narrative.

Also, I love the opening credits for Lawrence of Arabia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQWgR95c5PM

Simplistic, but I love how it jumps right into the movie.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

Children of Men is a good example of this. The sound of children at play that fills the end credits doesn't just exist in stark contrast to the childless film that proceeded it, but gives hope that the boat seen in the film's end actually is the one our protagonists were trying to find and not just random boat. The choice to have the sound of kids playing fills the viewer with both hope that things worked out and a reminder of just how sad the world without children we just witnessed was.

Brilliant example that enhanced the gut-punch of the movie.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Credits are a meditative experience.

What comes to mind for me are the end credits of The Fountain, which for all its flaws, still had me sitting in the theater watching microbes luminesce while I deconstructed what 'd just witnessed while listening to calm piano music.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Obviously Deadpool had the best opening credits. I really am kind of amazed that DGA, ACE, etc, allowed their members to be removed from getting credit on screen (obviously they're correct on IMDB, etc)

One of my favorite "credit scenes" is New Nightmare, however. Not only does it have no credits at all, it doesn't even have the New Line or Miramax logo cards before the movie. It just starts. On the commentary, Craven talked about how he wanted the movie to just begin, with people not sure that this was the movie or some "turn off your phone" clip or what. Really cool.

Comparing it now to the movies with 7 different studios and finance companies cards beforehand is exceptionally jarring.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
After punching you in the stomach about five times, The Act of Killing really delivers the final blow with its credits:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As much as I love From Beyond, the one area where it really can't compete with Re-Animator is the opening credits. These credits puts me in the perfect mood to watch the movie every year around October.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I loved the original ending credits for The Warriors. Instead of static comic book panels you got to hear the entirety of "In The City" and watch The Warriors in the light of dawn walking down the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfLV_hSj_uE

The Director's Cut just generally makes me sad and I miss this part a lot. When the OP talks about using credits to decompress, this is the very best example I can think of.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Not a big fan of Buckaroo Banzai but I did get down with the credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqJ3iGBdOo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Bourne Ultimatum's end credits stay consistent with the 'wiggly lines moving randomly around the screen' motif of the first two films... except this time they're not random, and play out Bourne's travels during the movie in stylised CGI microcosm.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't remember what movie it was, but last year I saw a film that was so moving, the entire audience stayed through the credits in reflective silence. It's driving me crazy that I can't remember what it was, it was really good. I saw too many great movies last year.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am firmly of the opinion that more movies should have full opening credits. They're not always necessary but they can be great for getting you into the right mood after all the trailers and commercials and such. I like the wind-up. There's a sense of ceremony to it, almost.

We wanna talk best end credits, though? I submit the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRzVFlZxBv4

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
obligatory http://www.artofthetitle.com/ mention
Just in terms of stuff mentioned here, they've got interviews w/ the title sequence creators of Enter the Void, Lawrence of Arabia & Deadpool
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/enter-the-void/
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/lawrence-of-arabia/
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/deadpool/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Unfortunately the credits themselves aren't in this video but a discussion in the horror thread reminded me how great the opening credits are for The Duke of Burgundy. Peter Strickland really seems to 'get' credit sequences.

Imagine that the credits are onscreen whenever this video goes to freeze frame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOptp0XqTg8

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This is what the first MPAA certificate looks like:

From a John Ford film titled The World Moves On (1934).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think as a kid I found something magical about the implication about the MPAA logo and production code at the end of the credits. The implication of there being some sort of governing body that is keeping track of all the movies sort of left me with this sense of heritage between films or magic movie librarian that is keeping track. Like I said in my OP, there's something to the uniformity of end credits in modern film, and the certificate adds to that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Tucker saying "He ain't gonna be in Rush Hour 3!" after the guy goes flying off the building is a more memorable joke than anything in the movie.

There's a lot of good stuff in that gag reel and I remember laughing like an idiot in the theater (in fairness, it came out in 2001, so I was ... 17).

Tucker, pounding on a hotel room door: "Jackie! Kick it in!"

Chan: "Okay! Chris Tucker!" *kicks*

Or, the best, Don Cheadle going "His name is Lee, God drat it."

Edit: Apropos of nothing, I've always wondered if there's any truth to the rumor that Chris Tucker did a Rush Hour movie every few years when he needed money because he was functionally illiterate. I know Jackie Chan's pushing to do a fourth one because he wants one last huge American paycheck, but then things stalled when Ratner went down for being a monster.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 12, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timby posted:

Edit: Apropos of nothing, I've always wondered if there's any truth to the rumor that Chris Tucker did a Rush Hour movie every few years when he needed money because he was functionally illiterate. I know Jackie Chan's pushing to do a fourth one because he wants one last huge American paycheck, but then things stalled when Ratner went down for being a monster.
It's 100% true. If the script involves minimal reading and lots of improv and comedic timing (which he has in spades) he's great in it. cf Fifth Element and Friday.

That's why he hasn't been in anything except a glorified cameo in Silver Linings Playbook in 20 years.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-PVvYPQysM

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Elizabeth Mills posted:

It's 100% true. If the script involves minimal reading and lots of improv and comedic timing (which he has in spades) he's great in it. cf Fifth Element and Friday.

That's why he hasn't been in anything except a glorified cameo in Silver Linings Playbook in 20 years.

:wtc:With the money he made from the Rush Hour movies if not his prior work, couldn’t he have hired someone to teach him how to read? Choosing to be illiterate has to be one the dumbest moves you can make as a person

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Island Nation posted:

:wtc:With the money he made from the Rush Hour movies if not his prior work, couldn’t he have hired someone to teach him how to read? Choosing to be illiterate has to be one the dumbest moves you can make as a person

He's not illiterate-illiterate, and there's no denying he's very smart. He just doesn't read and memorize really well, so he needs cue cards for everything that isn't improv.

Famously Lil Wayne has never written a single line down, and that dude has like 20 hours of songs.

v v That too. :(

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 12, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, you know, he might have tried to learn how to read better, and might just have a learning disability or something? Like, my assumption wasn't that he was actively choosing to be illiterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, you know, he might have tried to learn how to read better, and might just have a learning disability or something? Like, my assumption wasn't that he was actively choosing to be illiterate.

Good point. It wouldn’t make sense for a actor to not read so a disability would be plausible. Shame on me.

Besides, he’s made more money than most of us combined so assuming a frugal lifestyle and/or smart investing, he doesn’t need the work.

• Locked thread