Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Problem description: Sometimes my PC will restart. Could be when I'm browsing the Internet, could be while I'm talking on Discord, could be while I'm playing Counter Strike. Not sure what causes it.

Attempted fixes: Nothing. I don't know much about computers, but my understanding is that literally any piece of hardware could be causing this. Or software, but given the age of the system, my hunch is hardware.

Recent changes: In 2016, I replaced the power supply unit and started playing Dota 2 for a summer and never experienced any problems except that the 1TB HDD was suuuuper slow and some directories never loaded. The smaller SSD that the OS was installed on worked fine, though. I also bought a bigger SSD but left it in my desk drawer until late 2017/early 2018. Around late 2017/early 2018, I added the new SSD, replaced the GPU with a new 1080, upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8, and started trying to do some streaming and playing Counter Strike. Around that time is when I noticed the freezing followed by restarts.

--

Operating system: Windows 10, 64-bit

System specs: Machine manufacturer/model number. If a laptop, post the FULL model number, which is usually on a sticker on the underside of the machine. Please also include the basic specs such as processor and how much memory you have. If home-built, list your processor, motherboard, graphics card, memory, power supply, hard drive(s), etc. If any other hardware or equipment is relevant to your problem, list it here. If you have a networking issue, post the brand/model/revision of your modem and router from the underside of the boxes. Don't just post the output of a program that claims to show your computer specs, like Speccy, as they are frequently wrong and don't provide enough information (though this is better than nothing if you truly have no idea).
CPU: Intel i5-4670
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM 240-Pin Memory
Power supply: CORSAIR RMx Series, RM550x, 550 Watt
Hard drives:
- WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
----- from 2013, broken, haven't removed it
- Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III
----- from 2013, the operating system is installed on this one
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
----- from 2016, installed around 2017/2018
Monitor: A 4k monitor, can't remember the model, but the graphics card has to render at 4k.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Some Googling indicates this could be a power issue? I thought a 550W PSU would be enough to power my 1080, but maybe it's not enough?

I'm basically not sure what I can do besides swap out parts until the problem goes away. Maybe it's time to just build a new PC? Seems like RAM prices are around $10/gb right now. I guess it's not a horrible time. Does trying a new power supply and then giving up and building a new one - replacing everything from 2013 (CPU, motherboard, storage, RAM) - sound like a dumb idea?

I guess Windows 10 could be a problem. I actually HAVE gotten a blue screen with an error number a few rare times that I wasn't able to capture, but seems like just freezing and then rebooting back to my motherboard's logo is the usual.

Also, I moved a few times, once by plane. Every time, I basically just picked up my computer and lugged it around. It's possible some stuff got bumped too much, but I haven't moved since it was working in 2016, when I played Dota 2 (on WIndows 8) without any problems. So perhaps the problem is Windows 10, but I don't see any obvious Windows 10 rebooting problem on Google.

Thank you for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Whenever this happens to me I just give the case a good clean and reseat the ram, maybe reseat the gpu or other cards as well. Moving them jostles them up sometimes and 1/64 of an inch difference could cause trouble depending on the temp and thermal expansion or something.

Scan the qr code on the bluescreen or remember it, you can slow down how long blue screen lingers.

My pc locks up sometimes when loading dark soul 3 saves, and used to whenever I used bittorrent, the bittorrent problem was a blue screen concerning my network driver, going back one version my my wifi card driver fixed the problem.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So you have a broken HDD connected to the machine? Remove that poo poo, that can cause all sorts of fun problems.

• Locked thread